The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 1
It's getting much more recognition than it used to, and some of the academic departments are fantastic, but it really seems to be adopting a super corporate and impersonal structure now which is great from a marketing point of view, but it's really, really hurting the student experience.

It has the potential to really be one of the best universities in the country, and in many respects already is, but the people in charge are taking it in the wrong direction and not making the most of its potential. Some of the marketing just makes me cringe.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
From what I've heard and read it is a really good university with a lot of potential. As an international student I didn't know much about it before I decided to apply, but whenever I tell someone that I'm going to study law at Leicester, they are really positive and I've been surprised how many people (outside UK) that actually have heard about the university. I voted underrated in the poll. Than again, I've only visited the university once and read about it in brochures and such.
Reply 3
I think it's a 'great university'. I know it's really good for Law.
Reply 4
Tomber
It's getting much more recognition than it used to, and some of the academic departments are fantastic, but it really seems to be adopting a super corporate and impersonal structure now which is great from a marketing point of view, but it's really, really hurting the student experience.

It has the potential to really be one of the best universities in the country, and in many respects already is, but the people in charge are taking it in the wrong direction and not making the most of its potential. Some of the marketing just makes me cringe.

Can you elaborate on this? Not doubting anything you've said, just interested.
Reply 5
Is it just me or is this an incredibly bias place to put a poll like this? Not to mention how self-serving it is... P.S. I voted for a great uni.
I think it is underrated, I visited the place and loved it :yes: The English department seemed very good and everyone was so friendly. I've been to other universities and people were a bit icy. :p:
Reply 7
Im not really sure, I like it and thats all im fussed about atm.

the only thing i think its lacking is a decent student union, as in the building, hopefully the refurb will solve that because it feels abit to schooly for me and just generally ****.

I guess i think its underated and its on its way up, which is good, always nice for my degree to become more and more valuable as i grow old.
Reply 8
Tomber

Yeah!
It's an underrated university for sure. I'm glad it's finally starting to sparkle, no doubt it's ranking will help push it further up. But I do worry that it'll start moving in the elitism direction, hopefully this is not the case.

One of the reasons I went into Leicester was because it didn't give off that vibe, it's a friendly down to earth university that is great. What sort of things did you mean?
I remember them saying the SU would be closing to be refurbished, hopefully it won't take too long to complete =)
Reply 10
From what I've heard, the SU will be closed for the best part of next year due to refurbishments; they're going to arrange Wed/Fri nights at different venues. Not entirely sure where.
Reply 11
mike_J
From what I've heard, the SU will be closed for the best part of next year due to refurbishments; they're going to arrange Wed/Fri nights at different venues. Not entirely sure where.

oh great... that's the year I start... :rolleyes:
Reply 12
halbeth
oh great... that's the year I start... :rolleyes:

Fine for me, I'm on a year in industry next year :wink:. You might get lucky and they arrange some nights at DMU's superior union. Or maybe even DeMontfort hall, which is on the same road as uni. Havn't been there myself, but they hold concerts there. Might be rather good.
Oh that sucks, I knew they were going to close alot of percy down at certain times but i didnt really put 2 + 2 together and think that would effect the bars.

Fingers cross there isn't a fire at Mosh over summer :P

Latest

Trending

Trending