The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

utu7

During Yr 11, my school hyped its Sixth Form and all its qualities, promises of adult treatment, etc. I generally find that hasn't been the case; they're used to teaching lower year pupils, a lot of them can't differenciate between how yr 7s learn and how yr 12s learn. I find that college has a much wider variety of course choices, too.

my school does give you adult treatment and makes you sign an agreement and if you dont abide to its rules you get kicked out...such as low attendance, not doing work etc... college does have a wide variety however you dont have the trust and benefit of having a teacher who has known you for x amount of years to help you if you needed it but its not our decision to judge as many others have different opinions but it is a decision which can change your perspective. I know people that have went to a college and came back because they found the independance unbearable as they knew no-one and couldnt handle the pressure. xoxo
Reply 21
blue_smartie

More Authoratative- I'm a respect liker. I think i'd feel too 'comfortable' in a college where im calling teachers by their first names! Somehow the title 'Mr Jones' than 'Dave' implies that he knows more :s-smilie: It's a slightly wierd thing to explain I think. Maybe someone will understand me.

Hmm.. I go to a school, and am intending to stay on there till Uni days... But just because it's a scholl doesn't neccessarily mean that all teachers will call me "Mr Thorogood" (embarrasing, I know), instead of Henry. In fact I think that there can still be quite a high level of casualness (depending on how old fashioned your teacher is), but I think there is a higher emphasis on respect and punishment (as you rightly said) in the schools than there is in the colleges, which improves your work ethic, and so the quality of the work you produce.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts, biased though they are. You should take the time to make the important decision as to whether you either go to college which is probably far more broadening (in terms of your horizons) and will be perhaps more enjoyable than the school atmosphere, or you could take the decision to go on for a few more years to study really hard in a different environment for a place in your first choice university (not that I'm suggesting that you couldn't get it if you went to college!).

Good luck with the path you choose either way :smile:
Reply 22
tammy_girl
my school does give you adult treatment and makes you sign an agreement and if you dont abide to its rules you get kicked out...such as low attendance, not doing work etc... college does have a wide variety however you dont have the trust and benefit of having a teacher who has known you for x amount of years to help you if you needed it but its not our decision to judge as many others have different opinions but it is a decision which can change your perspective. I know people that have went to a college and came back because they found the independance unbearable as they knew no-one and couldnt handle the pressure. xoxo

Same here. Especially the kicking people out because of stuff like low attendance and not doing work, they are placed on the conditional list. This means that they have to achieve their target grade for AS to carry on. If they don't they get kicked out.

Latest