The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rachelingo
I have got about 139 hours to pick between Warwick uni and Cardiff for English Literature and im clueless as to which one to go for.
Warwick is academically better by far, but cardiff looks like sooo much fun. Wondered if anyone took either of the courses and could give me sum inside information. Or if anyone else is as stressed over their final decision as i am
thanx

I'm pretty sure that most people on here will say Warwick...but come to Cardiff with me!!! I don't know much about Warwick, but Cardiff is great. The city is amazing, the union is fantastic and the English course has so much choice! And you get do three subjects in the first year. And the accomodation looks really nice. And I could go on... I know Warwick has a better rep, but imo Cardiff has a better course and will be more fun! And it's still a well-respected uni in the russell group.

And just for the record, yes I was as stressed out as you. I've spent the last five months trying to choose between Cardiff and Exeter
Reply 2
warrick!
Reply 3
silence
warrick!

You can't even spell it :p:
Worrique!
Warwick. The course is extremely good and interesting - and the bundles of freedom you can have picking modules in the 2nd/3rd year is a BIG bonus.
Personally, the campus is great and has everything you would want and it seems such a more vibrant department. Plus the links with the American Lit, Creative Writing and Theatre Performance course are particularly strong and encouraged (module-wise). They have numerous successful and enthusiastic literary and theatre groups which use the state-of-the-art Arts Centre, the biggest outside London.
Furthermore, Warwick has just signed a £4.5 Million Performance Partnership with the Royal Shakespeare Company. (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/newsandevents/pressreleases/NE1000000101323/)
Oh, and just off the press on the website 'The University of Warwick has been ranked as the top Midlands university in the Guardian newspaper's University League Tables published on Tuesday 19th April 2005'.

Hope i've sold it to you - I can't wait until I go!!
Reply 6
~Sam~
You can't even spell it :p:

because i'm a ****ing ****** :smile:
Cardiff - after your first year at Warwick you'll have to live in Coventry!
Mrs Rickman
Cardiff - after your first year at Warwick you'll have to live in Coventry!

OR Leamington Spa, which is lovely. There are some nice parts in Cov, just as there are bad parts in Cardiff.
True, but i would say Cardiff is definitely a better city than Coventry. I love Warwick's campus, i just think it's quite isolated.
I would have died for an offer from Warwick!
Reply 11
you'd only be able to obtain a posthumous honorary degree at most if that were the case
silence
you'd only be able to obtain a posthumous honorary degree at most if that were the case

:biggrin:

Yes, in the end I chose life, and will be going to Bristol instead.
Reply 13
i used to think id die for an offer from warwick (at the end of making my creative writing portfolio i kind of looked like i had) but now i just feel after the **** stress of a-levels, at an awful all girls school, living in the middle of no where that i just want to have lots and lots of fun. but i also want to do well and i need help in that department so warwick seems the more sensible choice as i really cant find out much about cardiff's rep for english lit, i know its good for lang but i doubt if that'l help me at al
Ark. there must be sum1 in the world making the same choice. help
I wanted to go there so much I even considered taking ANOTHER gap year just to re-apply. (This is already my second UCAS application.) But that would be silly, unfortunately....

I would go for Warwick. The course and uni are just fantastic, and contrary to popular belief, the social scene is great. I know loads of people there and they all love it.
Warwick has an amazing reputation for English apparently. Really wouldn't fancy it myself though; although the course is OK, it doesn't appeal to me personally as much as some, and I took a look at the campus and thought it was ugly. No offence Warwicky people, I just don't like it!

Don't know much about Cardiff, but according to ~Sam~ it's great and she chose it over some others which also had good reps :smile:
Reply 16
I think there's no doubt that overall, Warwick has the better rep of the too. But it depends how much that means to you. Because at the end of the day, if someone has a degree from Warwick, and someone from Cardiff, and they both go for the same job, the person from Warwick won't get the job just because they went there. It will come down to all sorts of things, but a slightler better rep won't mean anything (at least in my opinion, I may be wrong).

Cardiff was given a 5* research rating for English lit (same as Warwick), meaning its internationally excellent. It's also a member of the russell group.

Have you visited both unis? Which one did you prefer? And also, what course do you like best? At the end of the day, I'd base it on that rather than chosing a place because it is well-respected, and then ending up hating it.
~Sam~
I think there's no doubt that overall, Warwick has the better rep of the too. But it depends how much that means to you. Because at the end of the day, if someone has a degree from Warwick, and someone from Cardiff, and they both go for the same job, the person from Warwick won't get the job just because they went there. It will come down to all sorts of things, but a slightler better rep won't mean anything (at least in my opinion, I may be wrong).

Cardiff was given a 5* research rating for English lit (same as Warwick), meaning its internationally excellent. It's also a member of the russell group.

Have you visited both unis? Which one did you prefer? And also, what course do you like best? At the end of the day, I'd base it on that rather than chosing a place because it is well-respected, and then ending up hating it.

well said :smile:
Reply 18
susiemakemeblue
I would go for Warwick. The course and uni are just fantastic, and contrary to popular belief, the social scene is great. I know loads of people there and they all love it.

Yup, I would agree with all that :biggrin: And also with what other people have said on this thread. 'Prestige' and 'reputation' are overrated.

Although I disagree about Warwick being ugly... At least it's not as bad as York anyway!
Reply 19
thats a great attitude, wish i could adopt it... i cant find any1 who knows anything about cardiffs rep for english

reply to ~sam~ where did u turn down? did it feel good or depressing :frown: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending