The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Outside subject(s) in 1st and 2nd year *post here with questions*

Scroll to see replies

ninja-lewis
I think it means they have 2 workshop times from which you chose to attend one. The same with the lectures - they display the full range and you select the relevant ones for you.

Have a poke around on http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/teaching/teaching_2/welcome.shtml to see if you can find anymore detail.

Thanks!! :biggrin:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
*revives old tsr account*

Sooo I just got an email that Philosophy of Science annoyingly isn't on this year which means I have to pick another 20 credit course :/ Damn you U of E, I was looking forward to that!
Anyway, I discovered that they are are offering Introductory Japanese 1a and 1b now, aimed primarily at science & engineering students...I've always wanted to learn a bit of Japanese but didn't pick Japanese 1 as an outside because it clashed with Scottish Lit.
Has anyone ever done any of those 'Introductory....' courses? Are they any good? Would I get anything out of it if I only did one semester and then tried to keep it up?
Reply 182
I'm studying social work but I'm really confused, timetab is telling me there are only two courses available working out at 40 credits whereas DRPS is saying there are four working out at 80. Does anyone know what is correct?

Also, is is possible to go over the 120 credits? I want to do family law but as it's only 10 credits, it's difficult to fit in.
Hey, I was wondering if the introductory Italian language course offered in semester 1 is the same as what is offered in semester 2?
megan____
I'm studying social work but I'm really confused, timetab is telling me there are only two courses available working out at 40 credits whereas DRPS is saying there are four working out at 80. Does anyone know what is correct?

Also, is is possible to go over the 120 credits? I want to do family law but as it's only 10 credits, it's difficult to fit in.
DRPS is correct. On timetab, the other two courses you're looking for are under Social Policy.

Nothing unusual - Business Studies students share accounting courses which are listed under accountancy separately.

Subject to availability and approval from your DOS, you can take additional courses. But you'll probably be at the back of the queue behind people taking it as their degree and then those taking it as an option course within their 120 credits. If you really want the knowledge and are not fussed about doing it officially, there's probably nothing to stop you attending the lectures.
megan____

It is possible to take more than 120 credits, yes, but it's not usually advised. I took 140 credits this past year, and will probably take 140 or 150 this year. You have to be really dedicated, and you'll probably have to work hard to convince your DoS.
Reply 186
ninja-lewis
DRPS is correct. On timetab, the other two courses you're looking for are under Social Policy.

Nothing unusual - Business Studies students share accounting courses which are listed under accountancy separately.

Subject to availability and approval from your DOS, you can take additional courses. But you'll probably be at the back of the queue behind people taking it as their degree and then those taking it as an option course within their 120 credits. If you really want the knowledge and are not fussed about doing it officially, there's probably nothing to stop you attending the lectures.

Ahhh, thank you! That makes a lot more sense.

Rainfaery
It is possible to take more than 120 credits, yes, but it's not usually advised. I took 140 credits this past year, and will probably take 140 or 150 this year. You have to be really dedicated, and you'll probably have to work hard to convince your DoS.

Ok, can I ask what you did to convince your DoS? Thanks for your help=)
megan____

Ok, can I ask what you did to convince your DoS? Thanks for your help=)

Well. I got really good scores in the IB, and my course didn't allow me any choice in my modules, so I pretty much told him that I learnt to manage my time really well with the IB, and that I really wanted to learn some extra stuff, and he agreed to let me take the courses, so long as I agreed to drop them if I felt the work was too much.

I'm going to do the same thing this year pretty much, to convince my new DoS to let me take extra courses. :p:
Reply 188
Rainfaery
Well. I got really good scores in the IB, and my course didn't allow me any choice in my modules, so I pretty much told him that I learnt to manage my time really well with the IB, and that I really wanted to learn some extra stuff, and he agreed to let me take the courses, so long as I agreed to drop them if I felt the work was too much.

I'm going to do the same thing this year pretty much, to convince my new DoS to let me take extra courses. :p:

Ahhh, considering I've been a rather average student recently that might not work too well but we'll see! Thanks!
Does anyone know if it is possible to know your timetable yet in terms of lectures and tutorials etc??

I might need to take some days off in October for a family occasion and was wondering if they would clash with my classes.
Lecture times can be found on DRPS and timetab. Tutorials probably won't be available until freshers week. See 1st/2nd year outside courses sticky at top of forum for details.
I've tried looking but can't seem to find much on DRPS and timetab!!!!!
Reply 192
This big thread here might be of use to you... everything is there, just follow the instructions.
Reply 193
Read through the whole thread, and no one asks about Maths.

I'm doing single honours Maths next year, and I was wondering what outside courses people generally do on it. I'm looking to do something other than Maths really (I know people do Statistics). I really, REALLY wanted to Biology but according to Timetab, the lectures either clash, or are immediately before/after the maths lectures in totally different buildings. I was looking at Philosophy, but I just don't know.

Any ideas? I don't have -much- experience in essay writing (other than doing Religious Studies for A Level) but I'm sure I could pick it up..

It'd be cool to do something totally random and new.
megan____
Ahhh, considering I've been a rather average student recently that might not work too well but we'll see! Thanks!

It's all down to the attitude of your DoS and department. I took 160 credits in 2nd year and did nothing more than say I was interested in taking an additional 40 credit course, my DoS then confirmed that it was OK with someone else in the department and signed me up. My first year grades were nothing exceptional at average low-50s to mid-60s, and I made no promises about keeping my grades or raising them or dropping them if it got too much. Your department could be different again.
Mikay
Read through the whole thread, and no one asks about Maths.

I'm doing single honours Maths next year, and I was wondering what outside courses people generally do on it. I'm looking to do something other than Maths really (I know people do Statistics). I really, REALLY wanted to Biology but according to Timetab, the lectures either clash, or are immediately before/after the maths lectures in totally different buildings. I was looking at Philosophy, but I just don't know.

Any ideas? I don't have -much- experience in essay writing (other than doing Religious Studies for A Level) but I'm sure I could pick it up..

It'd be cool to do something totally random and new.

If they are in different buildings, you should still be fine to get to get to your lectures, so long as the buildings aren't on different campuses (i.e. you've a maths lecture in GS, and then need to get out to KB for biology). You get ten minutes between lectures, so it's usually easy enough to get there on time; often lectures start a bit late anyway.

I think physics is often chosen for single honours maths students, so there's always that.
Reply 196
StellaBella05
Does anyone know if it is possible to know your timetable yet in terms of lectures and tutorials etc??

I might need to take some days off in October for a family occasion and was wondering if they would clash with my classes.

Frankly, you don't need to really worry about that. It's not school. Nobody will miss you in lectures, and you can reschedule tutorials. You can then catch up on what you missed.
Reply 197
Rainfaery
If they are in different buildings, you should still be fine to get to get to your lectures, so long as the buildings aren't on different campuses (i.e. you've a maths lecture in GS, and then need to get out to KB for biology). You get ten minutes between lectures, so it's usually easy enough to get there on time; often lectures start a bit late anyway.

I think physics is often chosen for single honours maths students, so there's always that.

Ah great. Thanks for that. Come to think of it, I know for sure Maths lectures are in King's Buildings, and I thought Biology were there too.. although I'm not sure. Two of the lectures definitely clash though, so it's a problem unless Timetab is wrong.. guess I'll find out during Freshers.

Not too keen on doing Physics...
Mikay
Ah great. Thanks for that. Come to think of it, I know for sure Maths lectures are in King's Buildings, and I thought Biology were there too.. although I'm not sure. Two of the lectures definitely clash though, so it's a problem unless Timetab is wrong.. guess I'll find out during Freshers.

Not too keen on doing Physics...

If you're in first year, then most of your lectures will be in George Square. I knows maths lectures are, and I believe biology lectures are as well, though I believe the labs are out at KB.

Are there multiple biology courses? Or is it just one core class?
Reply 199
Rainfaery
If you're in first year, then most of your lectures will be in George Square. I knows maths lectures are, and I believe biology lectures are as well, though I believe the labs are out at KB.

Are there multiple biology courses? Or is it just one core class?

Ooh, really? Thanks. :smile:

Erm.. well I was going off the compulsory courses for single honours Biology. Actually, now I'm kinda confused. Going off the information I found earlier these courses were Origin and Diversity of Life 1, Quantification in the Life Sciences 1, Environmental and Community Biology 1 and Molecules, Genes and Cells 1. I assumed these were the core classes, and these were the only courses Timetab brought up under "Biology"...

But now I cannot find that information anymore, maybe I was looking at an outdated course list? Especially considering it doesn't seem as if Edinburgh even offer single honours Biology anymore and Bio seems to be split up into constituent parts.

Hmm, I'm just confused now actually. Timetab doesn't bring up any other courses other than those four..

Edit: Oh, wait a minute.. I see. Most of the Biological Sciences course are the same. For example: https://www.star.euclid.ed.ac.uk/ipp/utbsmol.htm
The subjects only differentiate in the second and third years.. So really, yeah.. there is only a limited number of Biology courses that I could take. It only seems to be Origin and Diversity of Life which doesn't clash with my Maths courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending