The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Outside subject(s) in 1st and 2nd year *post here with questions*

Scroll to see replies

~EventHorizon~
Thats the second time you've insulted politics and now im worried because im doing the MA International Relations.

Whats wrong with politics at Edinburgh? :confused:

Nothing really, it's a good department. I'm sure lukeyboy has simply had a negative experience in the politics department. He seems to espouse anthropology, which in my experience is the dullest subject available at the university.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
nothing once you get to honours! international relations is fairly different from politics though, you get to take interesting stuff like international law or international indigenous politics.

just don't worry!

i must apologise to both you and headlessian, i always forget how seriously everyone takes the going to university thing and thus my advice is very short of the mark in this instance.

unis always have good and bad points, and every uni has ***** courses, ***** lecturers and brilliant courses and brilliant lecturers. it's a bit of a gamble wherever you go, be it oxford or london or bristol or edinburgh. every student i have met has a similar experience in terms of the varying quality of courses. it's nothing to worry about, but in all likelihood is probably one of those things that you can only stop worrying about once you have experienced it.

i apologise for giving crap advice, but just relax, you'll enjoy uni :smile:
Reply 22
nearlyheadlessian
Nothing really, it's a good department. I'm sure lukeyboy has simply had a negative experience in the politics department. He seems to espouse anthropology, which in my experience is the dullest subject available at the university.

i didn't read this which was on the second page when i did my previous post.

i am a fan of anthropology for various reasons, though it can be dull in places. i personally enjoy being among world leading researchers that unlike in politics, integrate their research and current issues into undergraduate pre honours study. i love the way as the study of humans and the way in which humanity influences every other discourse, anthropology is literally the study of everything (anthropology of smells, anthropology of science, anthropology of politics, of peoples, of ritual, of religion, of universities themselves!)

a value judgment about the worth of subjects is not what this is about though. everyone has their own opinion, and is entitled to that. my experience with politics is not isolated, and reading the minutes from the staff student committee would immediately testify that.

to bring back to topic, it is difficult to pick outsides, but use the course reviewer and speak to students and you can't go too wrong. and whatever someone like my own opinion is of a department, the fact is at edinburgh they are always improving, and who knows, might run a great course next year.
Reply 23
ok, it says to post questions here, sorry for my irrelevant posts all over the forum. :biggrin:
using timetab, i ran into another problem: i want to take an outside non-biology subject, [they're not in KB] so when i have a 9 o'clock lecture in KB, i guess i'm not gonna make it for the 10 o'clock lecture on the square, am i :s-smilie:
this makes it really difficult, i wanted my outside subjects to be different from the biology ones, i wanted literature, or philosophy, or mathematics, or latin... but finding a course, which starts an hour after the morning lectures in KB and finishes an hour before the afternoon lectures in KB seems merely impossible :frown:
raly
ok, it says to post questions here, sorry for my irrelevant posts all over the forum. :biggrin:
using timetab, i ran into another problem: i want to take an outside non-biology subject, [they're not in KB] so when i have a 9 o'clock lecture in KB, i guess i'm not gonna make it for the 10 o'clock lecture on the square, am i :s-smilie:
this makes it really difficult, i wanted my outside subjects to be different from the biology ones, i wanted literature, or philosophy, or mathematics, or latin... but finding a course, which starts an hour after the morning lectures in KB and finishes an hour before the afternoon lectures in KB seems merely impossible :frown:

Unfortunately that's how it is for bio students. There's the shuttle bus, and people are always leaving lectures a few minutes early to catch it to make it to another lecture at George Square. I don't actually know how much of a problem or nuisance it is however. I just stuck with biology courses myself. And regarding your interests, I think it'll be quite hard for you to get on literature courses, and maybe philosophy as well, as they're quite heavily subscribed, and so they're primarily offered for humanities and social science people. But again, someone probably knows more about this.
Is taking a language a bad idea?
Reply 26
nessiehibs
Is taking a language a bad idea?

no, why would it be? Learning a new language/improving your skills in one you already know can only ever be a useful thing in life.

I took Spanish as my outside course and really enjoyed it, it was amazing how much my Spanish improved over the year. However, it was more work than my other 2 subjects put together which is something to think about - languages are on going work and you generally have some sort of class every day, in other subjects you may only have 2 lectures a week and you can manage to cram all of the work in around essay and exam time.
oxymoronic
no, why would it be? Learning a new language/improving your skills in one you already know can only ever be a useful thing in life.

I took Spanish as my outside course and really enjoyed it, it was amazing how much my Spanish improved over the year. However, it was more work than my other 2 subjects put together which is something to think about - languages are on going work and you generally have some sort of class every day, in other subjects you may only have 2 lectures a week and you can manage to cram all of the work in around essay and exam time.

Thanks, i do like the idea of learning a new language. Not sure about the large workload. Ive never been good with languages - do you HAVE to pass your 3rd subject inorder to well, pass overall?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 28
nessiehibs
Thanks, i do like the idea of learning a new language. Not sure about the large workload. Ive never been good with languages - do you HAVE to pass your 3rd subject inorder to well, pass overall?

Thanks. :smile:

Yes, you have to pass everything to go onto 2nd year. I think in first year there is the possibility to resit in the summer, as this is what one of my friends did (although not for languages) but you would need to pass it then... some of the others might be able to comment on this more though. You only need to get 40% though for each subject in first year which is fairly easy - languages tend to have various components, and you submit coursework and on going assessments during the year so it's perfectly doable as long as you work during the year.
oxymoronic
You only need to get 40% though for each subject in first year which is fairly easy - languages tend to have various components, and you submit coursework and on going assessments during the year so it's perfectly doable as long as you work during the year.

If you can't pass a first year course then there is something wrong with you, put simply. That applies just as well to languages as it does to any other humanities course. So I wouldn't worry too much about failure just yet!
this thread is amazing oxymoronic! kudos to you lol :smile:

i was reading the student reviews on the subjects which is really helpful and i've decided i want to learn a new language, do you think i'd be killing myself if alongside my french i took italian 1? is it possible to succeed without being super smart or 100% focused throughout the year?
Reply 31
Hi

I'm hopefully applying for History for 2010 entry. If I were to take outside courses in Philosophy would it possible to continue both subjects in third and fourth year?
Reply 32
HelloKitty2890
this thread is amazing oxymoronic! kudos to you lol :smile:

i was reading the student reviews on the subjects which is really helpful and i've decided i want to learn a new language, do you think i'd be killing myself if alongside my french i took italian 1? is it possible to succeed without being super smart or 100% focused throughout the year?

I think you'd be fine if you're already a language-y person - lots of people take joint honours in languages, usually starting one from scratch and then one post A level/Higher. Obviously there would be a lot of work to do (I found my Spanish course to be more work than my other 2 subjects put together) but as long as you keep your mind to it you'll be fine. In first year you only have to pass, so even if you got a really low mark in Italian it wouldn't be the end of the world. Although I do know that at least in Spanish, first year grades count when it comes to deciding who goes where on the year abroad - you give preferences and then they deal them out in order of who got the highest marks as you find out where you're going prior to second year results being released.

d123
Hi

I'm hopefully applying for History for 2010 entry. If I were to take outside courses in Philosophy would it possible to continue both subjects in third and fourth year?

From dprs, it doesn't appear that History and Philosophy are a specific degree combination which is surprising... but if you took all of the compulsary History courses, and then all of the compulsary Philosophy in years one and two you could then apply for consideration for it to be made into an actual degree course for you. Basically you have to put up a good argument in front of some high up people in the university and then they make a decision.

If I'm being stupid and History and Philosophy does already exisit as a combination then you can just fill in a degree transfer request form at the end of first or second year, which then if accepted (they pretty much always are, I don't know anyone who wasn't allowed to swap) you can do 3rd and 4th year like everyone else.

Philosophy is a fairly popular subject though so there is no guarentee you would be able to get a place on the course in first year.
Wait, so how many subjects do you take in 3rd and 4th year?

Ive gathered that you take 3 in 1st and 2nd year.
I was thinking of doing a human geography or art history course along with physical geography and geology - would this be a problem since in a different facility?
nessiehibs
Wait, so how many subjects do you take in 3rd and 4th year?

You take 120 credits each year. In your 3rd and 4th years you are enrolled on a single or joint honours programme (therefore one or two subjects). You take the compulsory modules from each honours subject (usually 40 credits or so per subject) and then pick modules from a course list to bring you up to 120 credits. The course list will probably be mostly modules taught by your department but could also contain modules that other subject areas teach that are deemed suitably related to your overall degree. Thus it is possible to take modules from 5 different departments in some cases. Each module obviously covers different subject matter from within the general subject area.

rosie9391
I was thinking of doing a human geography or art history course along with physical geography and geology - would this be a problem since in a different facility?

You can take any courses so long as there isn't a timetable class and providing you have all the necessary pre-requirements (mostly necessary for sciences and second year/honours courses). Human Geography is taught by the same department as Physical Geography and Geology - the School of GeoSciences. This illustrates that you can take anything you like in your free 60 credits, although I imagine there will be preferred areas that you'll be told about when you arrive.
artorscience?
You take 120 credits each year. In your 3rd and 4th years you are enrolled on a single or joint honours programme (therefore one or two subjects). You take the compulsory modules from each honours subject (usually 40 credits or so per subject) and then pick modules from a course list to bring you up to 120 credits. The course list will probably be mostly modules taught by your department but could also contain modules that other subject areas teach that are deemed suitably related to your overall degree. Thus it is possible to take modules from 5 different departments in some cases. Each module obviously covers different subject matter from within the general subject area.

So I just take more classes on the same subjects for 3rd and 4th year rather than a whole new subject.

e.g.

1st and 2nd year - Business studies & accountancy, and .... spanish(example)

3rd and 4th year - Business studies & accountancy, and..... taxation(example)

:smile:
artorscience?

You can take any courses so long as there isn't a timetable class and providing you have all the necessary pre-requirements (mostly necessary for sciences and second year/honours courses). Human Geography is taught by the same department as Physical Geography and Geology - the School of GeoSciences. This illustrates that you can take anything you like in your free 60 credits, although I imagine there will be preferred areas that you'll be told about when you arrive.

Thanks for that, now is just about deciding exactly what i want to do :\
nessiehibs
3rd and 4th year - Business studies & accountancy, and..... taxation(example)

If you take Business and accountancy as your example, you can see here how the years are laid out.

You can see in first year you have to take Business Studies 1, Accountancy 1 and then your options are either Economics 1 or Economic Principles (so no choice of Spanish, but you are taking 3 separate subjects).

In your second year you have to take Accountancy 2 and Business Research methods. You then have an option of picking 2 or 3 Business courses from a list. If you only take 2 business courses you can pick any 1 20 credit course from the Schools listed here as schedules A-J or N-P, which covers any humanities school or GeoSciences/Informatics/Mathematics. (At this point you are picking from 2 or 3 subjects).

Your 3rd year has 100 credits worth of compulsory modules which all come from the Business or Accounting departments. You then have the option to pick either a further module from Business (see here, the subjects labelled level 10, modules available with change year to year) or the Ec&Social History module "British Business History Since 1930". Thus you could take modules solely from Business and Accountancy or you could take a module in a different subject but related subject material from a different department.

And your fourth year only has the compulsory dissertation (which you will choose the subject matter for) and then 80 credits of modules from the same selection as above.

Overall you are studying Business and Accountancy subject matter but you occasionally are allowed to venture into other subjects and departments (and with other degrees where you aren't aiming for an accreditation at the end there is more leeway in outside courses and subjects taught across different departments).
artorscience?
If you take Business and accountancy as your example, you can see here how the years are laid out.

You can see in first year you have to take Business Studies 1, Accountancy 1 and then your options are either Economics 1 or Economic Principles (so no choice of Spanish, but you are taking 3 separate subjects).

In your second year you have to take Accountancy 2 and Business Research methods. You then have an option of picking 2 or 3 Business courses from a list. If you only take 2 business courses you can pick any 1 20 credit course from the Schools listed here as schedules A-J or N-P, which covers any humanities school or GeoSciences/Informatics/Mathematics. (At this point you are picking from 2 or 3 subjects).

Your 3rd year has 100 credits worth of compulsory modules which all come from the Business or Accounting departments. You then have the option to pick either a further module from Business (see here, the subjects labelled level 10, modules available with change year to year) or the Ec&Social History module "British Business History Since 1930". Thus you could take modules solely from Business and Accountancy or you could take a module in a different subject but related subject material from a different department.

And your fourth year only has the compulsory dissertation (which you will choose the subject matter for) and then 80 credits of modules from the same selection as above.

Overall you are studying Business and Accountancy subject matter but you occasionally are allowed to venture into other subjects and departments (and with other degrees where you aren't aiming for an accreditation at the end there is more leeway in outside courses and subjects taught across different departments).

Thats great, thanks. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending