The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Outside subject(s) in 1st and 2nd year *post here with questions*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Any advice on a course a second year maths student can take in second semester with lectures post 4pm?
I'm not particularly interested in History of Medicine, and I did Logic last year. I'm thinking about emailing my DOS to ask how much background I need for Computer Simulation, but I'd prefer to do a first year course as I'm already taking 9 courses so far. (4 maths courses, 1 outside subject in semester 1.. 4 maths courses in semester 2) ..

Thanks
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Mikay
Any advice on a course a second year maths student can take in second semester with lectures post 4pm?
I'm not particularly interested in History of Medicine, and I did Logic last year. I'm thinking about emailing my DOS to ask how much background I need for Computer Simulation, but I'd prefer to do a first year course as I'm already taking 9 courses so far. (4 maths courses, 1 outside subject in semester 1.. 4 maths courses in semester 2) ..

Thanks

Well, I have no idea about courses after 4pm, as I've never taken one, but I highly recommend Numerical Differential Equations if you're not already taking it. GCV in second semester is also good, though I'm fairly sure it till meets in the morning. There are also physics courses you could do: there are the general astronomy ones, though I have no idea when they meet. Have you considered taking one of the language modules or something?
Reply 382
In first year I need to take two outside courses - an extra 20 credits in semester 1 and another extra 20 credits in semester 2. I was wondering if it was possible to take one full year outside course worth 40 credits instead?
Original post by Kelz_26
In first year I need to take two outside courses - an extra 20 credits in semester 1 and another extra 20 credits in semester 2. I was wondering if it was possible to take one full year outside course worth 40 credits instead?
Should be.
Reply 384
Hey, I'm starting Econ with Politics in September and thinking about taking Swedish 1 as an outside subject. However, since I'm doing double honors, I can't normally take any outside subjects in the Year 2, which I would really love to do with Swedish so that I could continue in learning the language (the Uni/EUSA do not offer Swedish as one of the free foreign language courses). Since Swedish Language 2 is - in contrast to Swedish 1 - taught mostly through lectures and not tutorials (at least according to DRPS), would it be possible for me to at least attend the lectures, if not take an extra subject (but should this be possible, that would be great)?
Reply 385
Original post by ninja-lewis
Should be.

Ok, thanks.
Original post by metjush
Hey, I'm starting Econ with Politics in September and thinking about taking Swedish 1 as an outside subject. However, since I'm doing double honors, I can't normally take any outside subjects in the Year 2, which I would really love to do with Swedish so that I could continue in learning the language (the Uni/EUSA do not offer Swedish as one of the free foreign language courses). Since Swedish Language 2 is - in contrast to Swedish 1 - taught mostly through lectures and not tutorials (at least according to DRPS), would it be possible for me to at least attend the lectures, if not take an extra subject (but should this be possible, that would be great)?

The free foreign language class would not be of any use if you had already studied Swedish 1A - as the free classes that have been run have all been at first year level thus far. Swedish Language 2 will continue to be taught through a classroom situation (there simply aren't enough students and the style of learning isn't appropriate for lectures). I'm sure the department would be prepared to let you sit in on classes (certainly I've seen people sit on Scandinavian courses before) - but that's something to be discussed at the end of first year. Your DoS might sign you up for an additional course - particularly as Swedish Lang 2 is only 20 credits - but better to ask when you have a strong mark from first year to back you up :smile:
Reply 387
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
The free foreign language class would not be of any use if you had already studied Swedish 1A - as the free classes that have been run have all been at first year level thus far. Swedish Language 2 will continue to be taught through a classroom situation (there simply aren't enough students and the style of learning isn't appropriate for lectures). I'm sure the department would be prepared to let you sit in on classes (certainly I've seen people sit on Scandinavian courses before) - but that's something to be discussed at the end of first year. Your DoS might sign you up for an additional course - particularly as Swedish Lang 2 is only 20 credits - but better to ask when you have a strong mark from first year to back you up :smile:

Yeah. I'm pretty sure this year one of the people in Swedish 2 wasn't actually enrolled/officially taking the course, they just came to class when they wanted.
Reply 388
Original post by nearlyheadlessian

Original post by Static.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure this year one of the people in Swedish 2 wasn't actually enrolled/officially taking the course, they just came to class when they wanted.

Thanks guys, this helped. The best result would be to be regularly signed up for the course - so that I could actually attend everything and take exams... Will talk about it with my DoS when the time comes.
Reply 389
Original post by blacktied
basically I'm asking if I would be able to transfer to English Literature and Psychology (joint honours), even though it's not a specifically-outlined degree course? I'd like to have the option to pursue 2 careers... but I know there's no guarantee I'd even get on the Psychology course. Thanks in advance :smile:

If English Lit and Psychology isn't an approved degree course, then you won't be able to do it. People were able to create their own degree in the past back when I was a fresher, but that has now changed and you can only do the options that are already available. If English Lit and Psychology was an approved degree course, then yes, you could do what you're proposing.

However, if you do decide you want to teach, having studied 2 years of English lit at uni will probably be enough (along with a good Higher grades) to get onto a PGDE as your degree doesn't have to be in the subject. For example, the regulations at Aberdeen for secondary English are that applicants need to have at least 80 credits in the subject from their degree, with at least 40 being at SCQF 8 or higher. This is essentially equivalent to having studied English lit for the first two years of a Scottish degree at university. You would be up against people who had straight degrees in English, however, so at a disadvantage, but it wouldn't rule you out of teacher training. Your other option would be to do a psychology PGDE and then just teach a mixture of English and psychology once you were a teacher as QTS allows you to be a teacher, it doesn't define the subject you teach or age range. Theoretically, if I could persuade a head teacher to let me, I could teach AH Maths even though I'm a primary trained teacher.
Reply 390
Hi, trying to get an idea of my timetable (for childcare purposes), does the timetable produced by timetab show tutorial times or just lectures?
Reply 391
Original post by bristols
Hi, trying to get an idea of my timetable (for childcare purposes), does the timetable produced by timetab show tutorial times or just lectures?

Depends on the course. Some of them will show all possible tutorial slots, so you might get 8 showing when you only actually have to go to 1, whereas other courses won't show tutorials on timetab but it should say in the course information about whether a tutorial is required in addition to the lectures.

If you say which courses you're doing, some of the existing students/graduates might have taken your course and be able to say how the tutorial system works :smile:
Reply 392
I'm studying Philosophy and Politics

chosen my courses, first semester ones are;
The Greek World 1A
Morality,rationality and value
Introduction to politics and int. relations

Second Semester
Greats from Plato to the enlightenment
Logic 1
Democracy in comparative perspective

Cheers guys, timetab is only giving me a timetable for the first semester, all courses show 2-3 classes per week
Reply 393
I'm going into 2nd year, but looking at the outside subjects I want, they'll all be first year options - I'm assuming this is fine, but I just wanted to make sure. Should I try and find an outside subject that is 'name2' instead of 'name1'?
Reply 394
Can you choose for a course to be in the second semester?
This is my situation. I'm doing BSc Psychology. I have to take Psychology 1, Origin & Diversity of Life & Molecules, Genes & Cells. The highly recommend Introductory Chemistry for Biologists. But this clashes with O&D of Life AND my Psych 1, which is kinda stupid 'cause they recommend it. Can anyone solve this or help me?
Original post by megara
Can you choose for a course to be in the second semester?
This is my situation. I'm doing BSc Psychology. I have to take Psychology 1, Origin & Diversity of Life & Molecules, Genes & Cells. The highly recommend Introductory Chemistry for Biologists. But this clashes with O&D of Life AND my Psych 1, which is kinda stupid 'cause they recommend it. Can anyone solve this or help me?
Courses are only delivered in the specified semester.

It looks like your courses have a choice of labs and lectures to choose from (e.g. they list 4 times, you choose 1 (1/4 on timetab, "or" on DRPS) and it is these that are clashing. All you have to do is chose which of the two Origin lectures you can attend on the Monday and one each of the Origin and Introductory labs.
Reply 396
Courses are only delivered in the specified semester.

It looks like your courses have a choice of labs and lectures to choose from (e.g. they list 4 times, you choose 1 (1/4 on timetab, "or" on DRPS) and it is these that are clashing. All you have to do is chose which of the two Origin lectures you can attend on the Monday and one each of the Origin and Introductory labs.

Okay, so basically I choose one of the lectures for Origin and one Intro Lab, one Origin lab and a Intro lecture? I won't miss any work, will I?
Original post by megara
Okay, so basically I choose one of the lectures for Origin and one Intro Lab, one Origin lab and a Intro lecture? I won't miss any work, will I?
No. For Origin, it appears that there is a choice of two times for Monday lecture so you would choose one. You also attend the lectures on Tuesday and Friday therefore attending 3 lectures altogether. For Intro, you attend all three lectures as there are no alternative times available. For both courses you choose which lab time you want to attend. Then in Week 1 you chose a tutorial group on top of the lectures and labs.

1st year courses are large. Sometimes they can't fit everyone in the available lecture theatre so they repeat the lecture later in the day for the rest of the class. Labs and tutorials obviously need small groups so they have multiple groups. Due to availability of rooms and staff, as well as conflicts with other courses, they usually have a range of times to squeeze everyone in.

Don't worry, they do cock up course organisation but not to the extent of making compulsory/recommended classes clash completely with each other! You'll be fine once you sit down with your DoS to sign up.
Reply 398
No. For Origin, it appears that there is a choice of two times for Monday lecture so you would choose one. You also attend the lectures on Tuesday and Friday therefore attending 3 lectures altogether. For Intro, you attend all three lectures as there are no alternative times available. For both courses you choose which lab time you want to attend. Then in Week 1 you chose a tutorial group on top of the lectures and labs.

1st year courses are large. Sometimes they can't fit everyone in the available lecture theatre so they repeat the lecture later in the day for the rest of the class. Labs and tutorials obviously need small groups so they have multiple groups. Due to availability of rooms and staff, as well as conflicts with other courses, they usually have a range of times to squeeze everyone in.

Don't worry, they do cock up course organisation but not to the extent of making compulsory/recommended classes clash completely with each other! You'll be fine once you sit down with your DoS to sign up.

Just wrote out my timetable for Sem.1. You have helped SO much, thank you! Stopped me worrying (trust, that's hard...) Thank you again ^^
Reply 399
Original post by oxymoronic
www.timetab.ed.ac.uk.

If it says you can do it, then you can do it as the time table doesn't really change at all. My lecture times for first year are stil the same, and they were the same when I looked it up online before applying.

You can literally do anything providing you meet the entry requirements and there is room on the course. But I've never known anyone to be told they can't do a course due to there being too many people though. Essentially, go through the prospectus and see what you want to do, then stick it into timetab. Bear in mind you will have tutorials for lit too but you can usually pick when they are as you sign up independently, and there are various times and days offered.

Edited to add: 1A means the course is first year, first semester. 1B means the course is first year, second semester. You don't always have to have attended 1A to take 1B but you generally have to have taken 1A and 1B to take the second year course. I say generally, as there are a few you can take; such as English Language 2 with Linguistics 1, or Social History 2 with Sociology 1, but second year doesn't really concern you yet.

Hi, I have recieved an offer to study english language and history at edinburgh next year, but since applying have decided i no longer want to study english
language as a degree. However, i have heard edinburgh is flexible so is it possible
that when i get there i could switch to a single history degree or maybe do
english language as an 'outside course' in the 1st year and ditching it before 2nd?Thanks :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending