The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Alex L
Yeah, you definitely need to be realistic, but you also need to bear in mind that you will be competing with people who are (or at least give the impression of being) very confident, and part of making yourself competitive involves being confident :yy:

What work experience do you currently have lined up?

Lined up??? Haha none. I know right... I'm in the process of applying for HCA jobs (ie. got an application pack yesterday), and trying to get a carehome job etc etc. plus a few other weapons under my belt (mostly volunteering and project co-ordinating stuff). Still wana aim to get something specifically hospitally in there, especially if I don't get accepted onto the nurse bank... omlette = Fail haha. Like you say, tis all about giving the impression of confidence though. That, and making the most unrelated activities appear relevant to medicine heheh.
Reply 21
omlette
Lined up??? Haha none. I know right... I'm in the process of applying for HCA jobs (ie. got an application pack yesterday), and trying to get a carehome job etc etc. plus a few other weapons under my belt (mostly volunteering and project co-ordinating stuff). Still wana aim to get something specifically hospitally in there, especially if I don't get accepted onto the nurse bank... omlette = Fail haha. Like you say, tis all about giving the impression of confidence though. That, and making the most unrelated activities appear relevant to medicine heheh.

:yep:

I'm a little confused about what you are planning to do though. Are you going for psychology and then applying as a grad or are you going for medicine again?

I am doing the latter. I am going to send you a PM in a few minutes.:wink:
omlette

That sounds pretty good, you might want to take a look at Vitalise for volunteering :smile:
Yes...it's a self defence mechanism :cool:
Im going to apologise in advance here but im going to be pessimistic. if i had read this 4 weeks ago i would have said keep your hopes up, as i actually in all honesty thought i was going to get a place this time. im on gap year and while i dont think im the most amazing candidate i honestly would love to study medicine and its all i want to do and all ive been working on this year. But whats annoying is i was 1 point off getting an offer from leicester. 1 POINT. ah.
anyway im sorry for the rant but im off to study biomed and slightly bitter but hey. BUT i do know lots of people who have got in, i.e 4 of my friends got in the first time, so dont worry about it too much - its a little bit of luck at the end of the day. until you know the final decisions, just keep your head up.
good luck.
Reply 25
i think you have to look at what you can improve on in your application. Did you get any feedback from the unis?

I think the most important thing at the moment is to concentrate on your exams and get good A2 grades- AAB/AAA. If you get these grades start selecting unis which suits your application. This is important, as many people apply to unis where frankly they dont stand much of a chance. SO this means look at how unis select their applicants, each uni has a diiffferent system
For example:

Sheffield- put a huge emphasis on UKCAT
Birimingham- dont apply if you have less than 8A*s
Bristol- doesnt require UKCAT, do not look at AS, look at best 8 GCSEs therefore if your GCSEs are good you should consider this uni
Leeds- requires the UKCAT, but dont put much emphasis on it, do not look at AS
Cardiff- have a point system where they add up your GCESs- if you dont have good GCSEs then dont apply

Next re-write your personal statement; it has to stand out (this doesn't mean you have to be county-lacrosse player or head-girl) it is the way you present it. Work experience is good to have but it IS NOT necessary; it is justt ensure that you have had a small insight into the medical world. I see so many people on here say they have done 6 weeks work experience in A&E or 120 hours voluntary work. Unis do not really care how much you have done, they want to see what you have learned from it.

Latest

Trending

Trending