The Student Room Group

Nearly finished first year university, made virtually no friends.

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous
^Are you in your first year too?

Yep, first year.
Anonymous
Hey guys..

I'm feeling really lonely right now.. Well the thing is that when I joined uni last september, I had a sort of culture clash and ahd a hard time adapting and making friends...Then at the start of my second semester, I had got used to my new environment, and I made it a point to join some societies to meet new people..Well the truth is it never really worked out, I made some acquaintances through dance classes and badminton socials but that's it.

I don't really have a group of friends I hang out with, I just have a few acquaintances here and there.. I feel really lonely all the time and now that the first year is over, I'm worried I'm going to spend the next two years at uni feeling like that, always so lonely.. Any advice on how to make friends during my second year? :frown:

Bad news for ya, buddy. Your 2nd year is just going to be as ****.

How do I know? I was in the same situation as you for my first year. How did my 2nd year go? It was just as ****. I live alone, have no friends and when I'm ill no one comes to see me.
Reply 22
This whole mess is a spiraling situation. The longer time goes on without you having friends, the more you'll sink deeper into self pity. That's how it works for me anyways.

Just keep your head high.
Reply 23
EFG
This whole mess is a spiraling situation. The longer time goes on without you having friends, the more you'll sink deeper into self pity. That's how it works for me anyways.

Just keep your head high.

So,how did u get yourself out of that situation?
Reply 24
Anonymous
Bad news for ya, buddy. Your 2nd year is just going to be as ****.

How do I know? I was in the same situation as you for my first year. How did my 2nd year go? It was just as ****. I live alone, have no friends and when I'm ill no one comes to see me.

Not all the time, my first year was awful, i made most my friends in 2nd year.

op who do you live with atm?
Reply 25
harry19

I currently live in halls. it's good to know you can still make friends in your second year, but how did you meet them, mostly?
Nick_000
I'll be your friend.

I thought you were gay? As in, the picture in your sig?
maybe ask yourself why this is ....maybe it's because of the way you are & not other people.
Reply 28
bansheeee*
maybe ask yourself why this is ....maybe it's because of the way you are & not other people.

I've never blamed other people for my incapacity to make close friends, and I'm fully aware that this has got a lot more to do with me than with other people. So, please, don't make such comments when I've never said anything of that sort :s-smilie:
Reply 29
Anonymous
Hey guys..

I'm feeling really lonely right now.. Well the thing is that when I joined uni last september, I had a sort of culture clash and ahd a hard time adapting and making friends...Then at the start of my second semester, I had got used to my new environment, and I made it a point to join some societies to meet new people..Well the truth is it never really worked out, I made some acquaintances through dance classes and badminton socials but that's it.

I don't really have a group of friends I hang out with, I just have a few acquaintances here and there.. I feel really lonely all the time and now that the first year is over, I'm worried I'm going to spend the next two years at uni feeling like that, always so lonely.. Any advice on how to make friends during my second year? :frown:

Hey!
be brave and organise a night out with some of your acquaintances. Just be like "fancy going down the pub or do you wanna go to that club"? or even find something like a open mic night somewhere you can talk but also listen to music.

If your not into the clubs and pub scene what about like pinics in the park (I know that sounds a bit silly) where you can play football or rounders or something.

I know you tried it but do join up to more societies. You might not have found the type of people you get on best with or have the same interests. But really don't worry it does take time to meet people and not everyone has best friends from the word go!

Good luck xxx :biggrin:
Reply 30
What uni do you go to OP or anyone else who's feeling lonely?

I'm slightly different - I have a few friends but not a best friend as such and I really miss having a really close friend who I can properly talk to. Personally I prefer having 1 really close friend whereas everyone I've met likes to have lots of close friends. That, along with me being extremely shy when I don't know someone, makes it hard for me to talk to people and form a really close friendship...so if anyones in the same situation feel free to talk to me :smile:
Reply 31
Botticello
I thought you were gay? As in, the picture in your sig?

I am. I'd definitely do Cheryl Cole though! :yep:
Reply 32
Anonymous
I currently live in halls. it's good to know you can still make friends in your second year, but how did you meet them, mostly?

are you not close to anyone in halls?

i just got closer to aquaintences when i went out, and went out a met people. also i got close to my housemates too, i suggest to you find people who are looking for another person to live with next year :smile:

its strange because everyone, "popular" people included, want friends and to make new friends, its just insecurities that get in the way.
Reply 33
edited - thanks acalia.
OP, I was in a similar situation to you. I didn't make any friends in my first year, just a few acquaintances. It was most because I was nervous about meeting new people, and for some reason, people on my course seemed to bond and form their little groups in the 1st couple of days of freshers week, and i got left out of that.

It wasn't til my second year that I actually started talking to people, and I've made quite a few good friends this year.
Reply 35
gravityisamyth

It is frustrating though and it's good to see there are others who understand the position you're in :smile: (What would we do without TSR eh? :p: )

It definitely makes me feel better, thanks everyone who's replied :smile:

steeler4life
OP, I was in a similar situation to you. I didn't make any friends in my first year, just a few acquaintances. It was most because I was nervous about meeting new people, and for some reason, people on my course seemed to bond and form their little groups in the 1st couple of days of freshers week, and i got left out of that.

It wasn't til my second year that I actually started talking to people, and I've made quite a few good friends this year.

There is some hope for me then :o: could u perhaps share how and where you met your friends in your second year? I feel that I can use all the advice I can get.
Anonymous
It definitely makes me feel better, thanks everyone who's replied :smile:

There is some hope for me then :o: could u perhaps share how and where you met your friends in your second year? I feel that I can use all the advice I can get.

Well, they were just people from my course. I was forced to work with other people, started talking to them and found we had quite a lot in common.

I also moved into different halls with new people and it was those I made friends with.

Hope this helps. Who are you living with in your second year? Maybe you could make friends with them.
harry19

Yeah well I take my hat off to you Sir! And I hope the OP does better than I have.
*Sigh*. I have hardly any friends at uni, simply because I was lazy and didn't need to bother. I have an amazing best friend who goes to a different uni, so I didn't make much effort at uni (I don't live in). I ended up staying at hers, going out with her, doing everything, the normal typical studenty stuff with her. And I've had a really good First year.

Problem is...she's moving abroad for a year and a half in 2 weeks. :rolleyes: So I'm gonna be at uni next year, no friends, probably still at home, etc... meh it sucks. I'm really, really sad she's going because I love her loads. *cry*.

Better make some sort of effort next yr. :confused: Argh, I don't even know where to start. I've never had to make friends before, it's always just come to me.
Reply 39
Bubbles*de*Milo
Argh, I don't even know where to start.

Me too, Although i plan to try to get more involved, i'm not sure it will work out :frown: l plan to go to more socials etc but being the loner at the party is a daunting thought..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending