The Student Room Group

Applying LLB despite low grades

I have concerns whether I'm gonna get in for my firm and insurance to do LLB. I am not confident of getting the required grades. I have been accepted to good unis and they want me to get 280-300 points. The thing is I only have two alevels and one AS. I still want to go to Uni and do LLB.
My question is are there any unis that will accept below 280 ucas points?Also is there a chance of me being solicitor (or will my alevels grades affect my chance of getting into high street firms?)
I know I need to work hard and believe in myself but I also want any relevant information so that I can prepare for the future.
thanks in advance.
Reply 1
hollahoop
I have concerns whether I'm gonna get in for my firm and insurance to do LLB. I am not confident of getting the required grades. I have been accepted to good unis and they want me to get 280-300 points. The thing is I only have two alevels and one AS. I still want to go to Uni and do LLB.
My question is are there any unis that will accept below 280 ucas points?Also is there a chance of me being solicitor (or will my alevels grades affect my chance of getting into high street firms?)
I know I need to work hard and believe in myself but I also want any relevant information so that I can prepare for the future.
thanks in advance.
I've moved this in here because you'll get more informed answers to some of your questions, but you might also like to look at: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=914445
Reply 2
Minerva
I've moved this in here because you'll get more informed answers to some of your questions, but you might also like to look at: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=914445

But you've moved it to academic help instead of the courses section?

Anyway which universities have you heard from? Some firms will certainly accept you but perhaps not the top ones, as they normally require at least BBB - and some even AAB.
Well, I was offered ABB for my uni and got BCD and they took me. It varies each year depending on the amount of places that have been missed, whether they think you still have the ability etc.
Reply 4
I have applied to Buckingham and Uni of Hertfordshire
Reply 5
I think I did badly last week as I had 6 exams in three days. It was bad :frown:
Reply 6
cdeu12
But you've moved it to academic help instead of the courses section?
:o: someone seems to have sorted it out anyway... was working on a very small screen and couldn't see properly.
Reply 7
anyone?:smile:
Reply 8
hollahoop
thanks in advance.

Hello :smile: I've just got a few Uni's with lower UCAS than a lot which are needed for law. I think these are all or are 280. Though you should note that these are not the best universities for Law. However it is still a uni with law with lower UCAS needed than others.

Derby
Bedfordshire
Bournemouth
Lincoln
Northampton
Brighton
Hertfordshire
Liverpool John Moores
Middlesex
Bucks New University - I don't know if you applied for this or the other Bucks

This link is from the Guardian and it lists the top to the lowest ratings from top to bottom though it isn't obviously official - just their rating. Anyway the last section called 'Average Entry Tariff' is the adverage UCAS for the Law LLB/Ba course so you should look at that mainly. Hope this helps anyway:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2009/may/12/university-guide-law

If you want any more information quote me and I'll be happy to give you some more information :smile:
Reply 9
I have applied to Uni of Hertfordshire (which u have stated above-they have increased points from 280 to 300) and I applied for Buckingham not new bucks.
Thank u for ol the replies.
Can anyone tell me whether there is a chance of me being a hight street solicitor despite getting low grades or points in alevels ( even if I get a 2:1 degree and pass in the LPC)?
Reply 10
hollahoop
I have applied to Uni of Hertfordshire (which u have stated above-they have increased points from 280 to 300) and I applied for Buckingham not new bucks.
Thank u for ol the replies.
Can anyone tell me whether there is a chance of me being a hight street solicitor despite getting low grades or points in alevels ( even if I get a 2:1 degree and pass in the LPC)?

Ohh cool that sounds good.
If you get the LPC and the degree it should be ok but they do look at A levels - however as there is a new one year course which isn't a full degree (people are taking this instead of going to uni for the degree a lot more firms will - I suspect, be looking for the whole degree and LPC. If you have a certain firm in mind you should perhaps contact them, I have done this not for your reasons but I contacted them and got a work placement there but still, if you seek advice from them then this is the best way to clarify your enquiries. I think you should be ok at high street solicitors, you're not looking for massive city firms and even if you were to if you prove yourself in the 2:1 degree and LPC then there is no real reason for the rejection? As I say though you should seek advice from a firm you're interested in or any firm close to you. Hope this helps a little with your clarification - any more questions I will give you my advice so just ask :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending