The Student Room Group

I only have a C in GCSE Maths

Hi, I am currently in my second year of a History degree at Liverpool Uni. I am considering applying to the big 4 but realised I only have a C in GCSE maths. Unfortunately my school made me take maths a year early because I was in the top set, I did the intermediate paper (on which the highest grade that could be awarded was a B) and got a C. The following year I was not allowed to do the higher paper along with the rest of the top set who had done the intermediate paper a year earlyier, whilst the rest of the year went on to do the paper. In all my other GCSE's I have grades B and above, grades ABC at A level (not in maths) and will hopefully get atleast a decent 2:1 in my degree. I was basically wondering what do you think the chances of a Big 4 firm are of overlooking my lack of a B+ in GCSE maths given the circumstances. Secondly, Deloitte state that a grade B must be achieved at first sitting. If I resit my GCSE maths but take the higher paper for the first time will this count as a 'resit'? Either way, I really dont fancy the thought of having to do my GCSE maths again...
Reply 1
Rules are rules and there is quite alot of bureaucracy when applying for graduate jobs in the Big 4, you'll need to look at the requirements on the HR pages.

What I would recommend is that you give yourself the opportunity to discuss it though as it does seem that you were the victim of some bad decisions at the school - so maybe don't include your GCSE grade, but put something like "Extenuating circumstances - will discuss". Try and turn a threat into an opportunity.

Otherwise don't worry about it - it's a training contract at the end of the day, and there are many other firms that will offer you a contract - it's still the means the an end.

If you have any Deloitte-specific qu's message me.
Reply 2
PScholes
Hi, I am currently in my second year of a History degree at Liverpool Uni. I am considering applying to the big 4 but realised I only have a C in GCSE maths. Unfortunately my school made me take maths a year early because I was in the top set, I did the intermediate paper (on which the highest grade that could be awarded was a B) and got a C. The following year I was not allowed to do the higher paper along with the rest of the top set who had done the intermediate paper a year earlyier, whilst the rest of the year went on to do the paper. In all my other GCSE's I have grades B and above, grades ABC at A level (not in maths) and will hopefully get atleast a decent 2:1 in my degree. I was basically wondering what do you think the chances of a Big 4 firm are of overlooking my lack of a B+ in GCSE maths given the circumstances. Secondly, Deloitte state that a grade B must be achieved at first sitting. If I resit my GCSE maths but take the higher paper for the first time will this count as a 'resit'? Either way, I really dont fancy the thought of having to do my GCSE maths again...

It will count as a resit, the big4 have very high standards, and having C in mathsto pass the numerical test would very difficult,, and those who even have A* fail numerical tests. I think you might find it useful emailing the HR department of Deloitte . I hope this helps. thank u.
Original post by epic_scale
It will count as a resit, the big4 have very high standards, and having C in mathsto pass the numerical test would very difficult,, and those who even have A* fail numerical tests. I think you might find it useful emailing the HR department of Deloitte . I hope this helps. thank u.

hello, i came about this thread as i was wondering something similar. i am in a similar situation as the OP however i was allowed to resit, and went from an C to an A. So i did my maths gcse early in year 10 and got a c then again in year 11 and got an A. Does this count as "1st sitting". Is a second sitting when someone comples school and then goes back to get an A or does it count early entry as first sitting. Kind of unclear but all help is appreciated.

Also i know the last response in this thread was 3 years ago.
Reply 4
Original post by getenoughsuarez
hello, i came about this thread as i was wondering something similar. i am in a similar situation as the OP however i was allowed to resit, and went from an C to an A. So i did my maths gcse early in year 10 and got a c then again in year 11 and got an A. Does this count as "1st sitting". Is a second sitting when someone comples school and then goes back to get an A or does it count early entry as first sitting. Kind of unclear but all help is appreciated.

This would count as a second sitting, as you took the test twice.

However given your situation (A in year 11), I would email the HR team at Deloitte and outline your situation. Easy to do and will give you the answers you need. Hopefully they are lenient in this case.
Reply 5
Original post by getenoughsuarez

No this will be fine. Put an A down on the app and you can explain if it comes up (which I highly doubt it will).

It is not your fault what a school makes you do at 15 years old. All big 4 firms would be happy with your explanation.
Reply 6
Original post by PScholes

you prob won't get it with a C due to auto filter. Why do you just want to apply to big 4?
Reply 7
Original post by Samtheman1
No this will be fine. Put an A down on the app and you can explain if it comes up (which I highly doubt it will).

It is not your fault what a school makes you do at 15 years old. All big 4 firms would be happy with your explanation.

I would not advise this. If they do find out you'll be out simply for lying.

Email HR the situation, an A in year 11 seems perfectly fine to me.
Reply 8
But he did get an A in year 11, making him on par with everybody else. I see what you are getting at but it wouldnt apply to GCSE's taken a year early due to high achievement.
Reply 9
But he did get an A in year 11, making him on par with everybody else. I see what you are getting at but it wouldnt apply to GCSE's taken a year early due to high achievement.

Second sitting is a second sitting. While I quite agree he shouldn't be disadvantaged for sitting a year early, this doesn't change the rule. HR should understand (as any reasonable person would), but they won't appreciate someone lying on their form if they do find out.

I can't imagine many firms being happy that you lied on your application.

I know that for Deloitte you have to tick a box saying you have at least a B from the first sitting before you're allowed to go onto the actual application- so I can't see this sitting well at all?!

And when you're offered a contract, you're required to prove all the grades you've written on your application...there is nothing about this plan that is feasible.
Reply 11
Original post by anonymousaudit
I can't imagine many firms being happy that you lied on your application.

I know that for Deloitte you have to tick a box saying you have at least a B from the first sitting before you're allowed to go onto the actual application- so I can't see this sitting well at all?!

And when you're offered a contract, you're required to prove all the grades you've written on your application...there is nothing about this plan that is feasible.

4 weeks old dude :tongue:
Btw anyone still following this. PwC is the only Big4 firm which will let you in with a C in Maths, whilst EY told me they will accept GCSE resits - not sure about A-level, but I think for GCSEs they'll understand that they were taken 5 years ago, whereas A levels are fairly recent upon graduation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending