The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Seriously what is with this 'punter' crap? Its worse even than 'client'
Reply 181
Jamie
Seriously what is with this 'punter' crap? Its worse even than 'client'
I like it. I think it describes my relationship with them well. :p:
Reply 182
What is the point of having a duty GP if the sodding receptionist won't let me talk to them, or even guarantee they can get a message to them in any sensible length of time?

AND then they failed to receive my fax twice, only to discover when I rang back again rather irate, that "oh, the machine wasn't on properly." :rolleyes:

Oh, and I managed to go to work in shoes that didn't match each other. :o:
Reply 183
j00ni
j00ni's real-life Breaking Bad News tutorial #1:

You are the ITU night on call SHO, and you have a patient who came in following VF/asystolic arrest, has been treated for 3 days, but showing no sign of neuro recovery. It has been handed over to you by the day team that she will probably be having treatment withdrawn the next day, but the family have yet to be informed. It gets to midnight, and the nurse (let's call her, for arguements sake "amazingly hot nurse" ) tells you they have got hold of the family who are coming in at 1am ish for you to have a chat.

The unit is quiet, a rare thing indeed, so you decide to catch an hours kip before the family arrive. It feels like you have literally only just placed your head on the cold, hard surface of the only thing resembling an easy chair before you are gently awoken by the nurse's hand on your shoulder. You half-stir, your body unsure whether this is that dream, or a horrible nightmare. As you rub sleep from your eyes and you start to focus, you realise it's the latter.

You haul yourself into the relatives' room, and using all your (admittedly excellently taught) SPIKES skills, you gentley break the news to a distraught family. Just as you finish, you catch amazingly hot nurse staring at you and gently rubbing the right side of her lips. You think to yourself this is a most innappropriate time to start making a pass, but decide to ignore her (remember you are sleep deprived, and forget this never happens to you normally in real life). You complete the BBN, which went quite well, and you leave the room giving yourself a pat on the back about what an amazing doctor you are, and it's no wonder amazingly hot nurse is getting excited by your skillz.

She pulls you to one side when you get out of the room, "here we go" you think "finally, the real reason i did medicine at last..."
"Err, doc." She whispers breathily, "have you looked in a mirror recently?"
"Huh?"
She points to a nearby washbasin/mirror, and you casually amble over.

Looking back at you where you are expecting to see some Clooneyalike superstud-doc, is the grim reality. A bag-eyed, bloodshot face, with a streak of crusted drool running from the right corner of your mouth, up below your cheekbone, past your ear, into your hair to create a wonderful unilateral spiked effect, which glistens in the dim light of the unit.

You decide celibacy is underrated and drudge off back to find a dark corner to sob yourself to sleep.

You should describe this as the j00ni technique for breaking bad news. Make yourself look such a state that no matter how bad the news you are telling them they can be consoled by the fact that it could be worse and they could be looking like you. :p:
Reply 184
Helenia

Oh, and I managed to go to work in shoes that didn't match each other. :o:

Were you planning to use j00ni's technique for breaking bad news? :p: :rofl:
Reply 185
A weekend off, I have a weekend off!!!!!!!
Reply 186
1. DNUK Education? Worth it?

2. START Surgery Course? Worth it?
Reply 187
Ataloss
Were you planning to use j00ni's technique for breaking bad news? :p: :rofl:

To be fair, the mistake wasn't obvious at all, and I only noticed it at lunchtime. Not sure if anyone else did. :s:
Mind you, the day before, I wore my pretty new work dress, thought I was looking pretty cool by Helenia standards, and then in the evening ended up having a serious conversation with the consultant ENT surgeon with a 6 day old baby (plus vomit-absorbing wipes) asleep on my shoulder. At least he didn't come round while I was feeding it. :o:
Reply 188
Has everyone else been payed already? :mad:
Renal
Has everyone else been payed already? :mad:

The money has appeared in my account, but dated for the 24th. However, I was still able to spend it today with my first big purchase.
Reply 190
Spencer Wells
The money has appeared in my account, but dated for the 24th. However, I was still able to spend it today with my first big purchase.
Wasn't it supposed to be your round? :curious:
Renal
Wasn't it supposed to be your round? :curious:

Oh, yeah. Well I'll be out in Catford with the F1s on Monday, and again on Thursday for our payday mess party, but I'm working 4 long days in the next week (including the 3 of the bank holiday weekend) and won't have a break until Sept 5th, so might have to wait a wee while...
Reply 192
Spencer Wells

Mine hasn't yet...who do you bank with? Wondering if it's just HSBC being slow, or if they've forgotten to pay me...
Natwest. I assume it's my salary, or else someone has randomly deposited money in my account. Either way I'm happy.
Reply 194
Spencer Wells
Natwest. I assume it's my salary, or else someone has randomly deposited money in my account. Either way I'm happy.

Meh, it sometimes takes a while for these transactions to show up on my internet banking, so I shan't panic just yet...any more news on plans for tomorrow eve?
Nope. I'm sure we'll decide over lunchtime teaching (is it pharm exam results?)
Reply 196
I think it might be, but that may well only be because that's what you said on Friday. I kind of hope it is, and that they go through the questions too!
Is that the one that checks whether you're allowed to dispense, or need further measures?
And are supposed to get 100% on?
Or am I thinking of something different?
Nah. This was checking our ability to write up infusions and perform drug calculations and such. It doesn't need to be passed per se, but if you didn't you have a meeting with the programme director.
Reply 199
I love A+E! Shame about the random hours though...

Latest

Trending

Trending