The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Jamie

Original post by Jamie
where are you gonna put the watch..?
Cos it sure as hell won't be on your wrist.

I just bought a cheapo £3 one, cut off the strap and have it on the back of my ID badge. Has lasted 4 years.

That's the plan with mine! :p:
Bah. I am going to finish FY2, aka 12 months in an approved practice setting, in ten days' time.

E-mail from the GMC:

"Dear junior.doctor,
As you have not yet completed your 12 months APS we are unable to remove the requirement at this stage. Once you have completed your 12 months' APS, you can contact us again... blah blah"

I sent them back a suitably disdainful reply, advising them that I would e-mail them again on 4th August... Bureaucracy! I'm not sure quite what dreadful misdemeanours they're supposing I'll commit in the space of ten days - and I had put the request date as 4th Aug anyway... Ho hum. How I do love the GMC.
Original post by junior.doctor
Bah. I am going to finish FY2, aka 12 months in an approved practice setting, in ten days' time.

E-mail from the GMC:

"Dear junior.doctor,
As you have not yet completed your 12 months APS we are unable to remove the requirement at this stage. Once you have completed your 12 months' APS, you can contact us again... blah blah"

I sent them back a suitably disdainful reply, advising them that I would e-mail them again on 4th August... Bureaucracy! I'm not sure quite what dreadful misdemeanours they're supposing I'll commit in the space of ten days - and I had put the request date as 4th Aug anyway... Ho hum. How I do love the GMC.

I had exactly the same thing.
Reply 983
Just had my restriction lifted!
Reply 984
Another question - what books should I take with me to my first job? I'm leaving a lot of stuff behind at home and want to take the bare essentials. My first job is general surgery, and I'm planning on taking the cheese and onion, pocket prescriber '11 and the OHotFP (once the pre-order comes through next week). What else would you class as essential?
Books=unnecessary; they just add to what you have to carry. I brought the OHCM with me on my first day, bunged it in my locker, and didn't take it out until my last day as a house officer.
Reply 986
Cheers for that GMC reminder - never even heard of an 'approved practice setting'. It's a good thing I'm not having to pay bucket-loads of cash for yet more needless bureaucracy .. oh wait.

Less than two weeks until CT1. Although having just finished six months of A&E nothing seems to scare or even unsettle me. The strange thing about A&E is that you can spend most of the shift thinking 'oh what a load of old ****, you called an ambulance for THAT?' and then something interesting comes along to counter it. I'm quite pleased I now get to see fewer acute exacerbations of FAW (**** all wrong) in medicine though. But I do seem to have a random six months of ITU stuck into CT2 which seems rare for CMT these days.
Reply 987
Original post by Muse
But I do seem to have a random six months of ITU stuck into CT2 which seems rare for CMT these days.

One of the F2s I'm working with starts core surgical training in Aug and has an ITU rotation, he was quite bemused as well!
Reply 988
Original post by Muse
Cheers for that GMC reminder - never even heard of an 'approved practice setting'. It's a good thing I'm not having to pay bucket-loads of cash for yet more needless bureaucracy .. oh wait.

Less than two weeks until CT1. Although having just finished six months of A&E nothing seems to scare or even unsettle me. The strange thing about A&E is that you can spend most of the shift thinking 'oh what a load of old ****, you called an ambulance for THAT?' and then something interesting comes along to counter it. I'm quite pleased I now get to see fewer acute exacerbations of FAW (**** all wrong) in medicine though. But I do seem to have a random six months of ITU stuck into CT2 which seems rare for CMT these days.
Loads of the South London trainees do ITU either at George's or Tommies, it seems.

I had a sim training day with my new hospital yesterday. Scary stuff! The nurses were all "Do you want to give norad?" "Are you going to tube him?" and I was a bit :argh: . Very excited about it, though I do wish I didn't have to be up at this time to go and be med SHO on call again. Only 5 more shifts to go...
Reply 989
Finished last ever A&E night on a high with a surgical referral complete with eponymous sign. :cool: :redface:

Jamie - thanks for sharing!

Visesh - I just took OHCM, Pocket Prescriber & OHFP too when I started. Then when 'work home' became our home (differentiated from family home!) it has my whole library now but not very extensive..! The only ones I've cracked open have been MRCP revision book (for GPVTS stage 2) & Oxford Textbook Psych (for fun).
The Folder is more important than the pens! Pens are loosable/borrowable. Your folder is not - choose it wisely & stock it well.
I think I'm going have to retire mine now as probably won't look suitably SHOy with one (kept it for my ward based FY2 job because by HO, bless him, was a boy when it came to that sort of thing... perhaps I'll start wearing heels to work soon too. :biggrin:
Reply 990
Original post by visesh

Original post by visesh
Another question - what books should I take with me to my first job? I'm leaving a lot of stuff behind at home and want to take the bare essentials. My first job is general surgery, and I'm planning on taking the cheese and onion, pocket prescriber '11 and the OHotFP (once the pre-order comes through next week). What else would you class as essential?

I carry the oxford handbook of clnical medicine. Would very much recommend it as it has really basic things in it which in moments of panic you forget and you need to sheepishly look up :p:
Reply 991
Thanks guys, mega helpful as always! I feel like such a fresher...:redface:

Folder - I've got 2. One for the important stuff that needs to be kept safe (degree certificates, transcripts, GMC certificates, other certificates that'll hopefully come my way), and another for day-to-day stuff. It's a clipboard with a fold-over-cover and a plastic wallet in which I plan to keep a ward work-list, spare continuation sheets, important phone numbers and the odd request form (as far as I can remember, the trust has an electronic bloods and imagining request system)
Original post by visesh
the OHotFP (once the pre-order comes through next week).

There's a new one?!?! :mad:

Let me know if there's anything groundbreaking in it - I've got the last edition.
Original post by Muse
But I do seem to have a random six months of ITU stuck into CT2 which seems rare for CMT these days.

Good for you!
Reply 995
Managed to get the neurosurgeons to accept a patient today. I am proud.
Reply 996
Original post by Helenia
Managed to get the neurosurgeons to accept a patient today. I am proud.

Today is the day for suprises! I managed to get a Psychiatrist tothe Gynae ward at 11pm last night half an hour after calling!
Reply 997
Original post by Egypt
Today is the day for suprises! I managed to get a Psychiatrist tothe Gynae ward at 11pm last night half an hour after calling!
Puerperal psychosis? I've had them move pretty fast for that.
Reply 998
Original post by Egypt

I don't believe it!
Reply 999
Original post by Renal
Puerperal psychosis? I've had them move pretty fast for that.

Was probably the most ridiculous referral of the night. 17/40, managed to electrocute her abdomen with some hair straighteners. From that side of things no concerns. But sent up for a "reassurance" scan.

Up arrived a stark raving mad women. Flight of thought, manic ideas, threatening to kill herself if he baby is harmed. Stopped her olanzepine 10 days ago and is now flogging it along with her diazepam to get cash for crack.

She started singing Amy Winehouse songs at me during the history (to be fair she did stop to tell me she had died after the second verse so maybe the context was appropriate?!)

Naturally the most pleasant Psych I have seen in a while discharged her. Last I saw of her she was wrestling with the polIce outside the hospital!

Latest

Trending

Trending