The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Hmmm, think the Maldives could be the way forward (assuming we can do a PADI course!). Anyone been there on their travels?

Thailand would be fab except that I've been a few times and the better half hasn't. Would be quite nice to go somewhere new for both of us.
Reply 1181
Original post by Egypt
Hmmm, think the Maldives could be the way forward (assuming we can do a PADI course!). Anyone been there on their travels?

Thailand would be fab except that I've been a few times and the better half hasn't. Would be quite nice to go somewhere new for both of us.

Friend went there recently for his honeymoon, he said it was amazing but it mostly beach related things though.
Reply 1182
'Health tourism' = :hand:. But when it's sick kiddies... :erm:
I may need to do a reflection.

Egypt

Honeymoon

I would recommend the Cook Islands (specifically Aitutaki) for warm, sunny & lagoon! Is the sort of far flung once-in-a-lifetime place you'd do for honeymoons or elective. :tongue: Not overtly foodie but some fun places to eat & 2 fancy 'resorts' with restaurants. Also susceptible to split centre honeymooning as you could do a Singapore/Hong Kong or New Zealand part too. NZ good for diverse scenery & 'activities'.

If people want foodie (but not exactly warm...) then you have to go to 'Hotel Ranga' in Iceland, which is one of the hotels we New-Years-Honeymooned in = AMAZING.
Reply 1183
Original post by Elles

I would recommend the Cook Islands (specifically Aitutaki) for warm, sunny & lagoon

I'll look into that, thank you!
We also need to plan our honeymoon. Our intention is to go to Zanzibar but not sure when is a good time and whether we'll get good value there. We're pretty flexible on time - didn't do it immediately after the wedding due to work commitments (impending MRCP rapage tomorrow! :s: ) and I don't have a passport currently, but definitely want to get it done before next August.
I don't know where I am going on my honeymoon. I am a mixture of scared and excited about it!
Reply 1186
We have medical students... got landed with a teaching session for them which I had <5 minutes to prepare for! (needless to say it could have gone far better if I'd had a bit more time)
Reply 1187
Original post by Egypt
x
Happy birthday!
2 and a half days before I leave for Africa for 2 years! Can't quite believe it's finally here. The flat is a bomb site and the bags are half packed, not quite sure how I'm going to fully pack, move out and clean the flat, and do everything else that needs doing, all in time! So I'll ignore it all instead, and procrastinate on the internet, cos clearly that will help everything get done...
Reply 1189
Original post by junior.doctor
2 and a half days before I leave for Africa for 2 years! Can't quite believe it's finally here. The flat is a bomb site and the bags are half packed, not quite sure how I'm going to fully pack, move out and clean the flat, and do everything else that needs doing, all in time! So I'll ignore it all instead, and procrastinate on the internet, cos clearly that will help everything get done...

Good luck! You'll have to keep us posted about how you're getting on, very excited for you!
Original post by Egypt
Good luck! You'll have to keep us posted about how you're getting on, very excited for you!

Thanks! Just to ad to all the last minute packing / moving out type madness, the Macbook has started making Bad Noises. The amazing power of google has helped me to work out what it might be (seems like some sort loose bracket thing inside all the 15 inch ones) and have managed to get a genius appt tomorrow as there's no way I'm taking my laptop apart, but just really hoping that that's what the noise actually is, its only 6 weeks old, grrrrr.
Original post by Helenia

Helenia
x

Elles
x

Have either of you changed your name with the GMC yet? If so how long does it normally take
Reply 1192
Original post by randdom
Have either of you changed your name with the GMC yet? If so how long does it normally take

GMC was by the far the easiest/most efficient name change for me! Print off the form on their website, send back along with original marriage certificate & it's pretty much done. I think they even sent back my certificate recorded delivery, whole thing took maybe a fortnight over Christmas.

Official once they send you confirmation of update on the register by post (which I put in my portfolio next to registration certificate as it gets confusing if you apply for specialty training in one name & then that doctor doesn't exist anymore) & then the website changes too.
Original post by randdom

Yep, just got my e-mail confirmation today, was very straightforward (and free!) I'm Dr B on their website now, but am waiting till I get the written confirmation through the post before I start using it at work, and then I need to get a new ID badge too.

Interestingly, I seem to be the only Dr B on the medical register in the country. Shame I'm #4 in his family. :rolleyes:
Original post by Helenia

Original post by Helenia
Yep, just got my e-mail confirmation today, was very straightforward (and free!) I'm Dr B on their website now, but am waiting till I get the written confirmation through the post before I start using it at work, and then I need to get a new ID badge too.

Interestingly, I seem to be the only Dr B on the medical register in the country. Shame I'm #4 in his family. :rolleyes:

I will go from being one of twelve to the only person with my name when I get married which is interesting...

I have also just found you :ninja:
Question - when doing an ABG, should you pull back on the plunger so there's 1-2 ml of air in the syringe before entering the skin? I remember being taught that in medical school but hadn't bothered doing it, only for the reg to tell me I should do it that way.
Original post by Captain Crash
Question - when doing an ABG, should you pull back on the plunger so there's 1-2 ml of air in the syringe before entering the skin? I remember being taught that in medical school but hadn't bothered doing it, only for the reg to tell me I should do it that way.

Depends on the system you use. At my last hospital they weren't self-filling so you had to withdraw the plunger as much as the amount of blood you wanted. I think I was also told a similar thing, but if it is a syringe with liquid heparin in you must expel all of that through the needle and then withdraw a little bit. If it's a self-filling syringe then I wouldn't pull back a whole ml, maybe only a few mm. Entirely non-scientific though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1197
Rumour has it our monitoring came back at 2A. I have a sneaky feeling bugger all is going to happen about it...
Reply 1198
Original post by visesh
Rumour has it our monitoring came back at 2A. I have a sneaky feeling bugger all is going to happen about it...
I have an email from HR saying that we were on a 2A, I know that bugger all is going to happen.
Reply 1199
Original post by Captain Crash

I wasn't taught to do that but I do it anyway, it helps me see the syringe is filling and requires less pressure than filling a completely empty syringe.

I miss doing ABGs

Latest

Trending

Trending