The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Only just done 2 weeks of Renal out here in Australia.... I think it's the one for me. Some awesome medicine going on.

Also another reason to sack off core training to persue own interests... to think I could be working as a CT1 in some ****ty medical job that I didn't ask for rather than doing my first choice job in Brisbane.
Original post by Egypt
What's wrong?

I had to officially give up my job - bad times :frown: but not the end of the world :smile: theres always next year. Ive still got my Dr Title and degree and no one can take that away from me.

I need to go kick bum on the situational judgement test.

Now what job do I want for a year (48 weeks and one day exactly). Ive never had a back up choice, abroad maybe??
Reply 1782
Original post by fairy spangles
I had to officially give up my job - bad times :frown: but not the end of the world :smile: theres always next year. Ive still got my Dr Title and degree and no one can take that away from me.

I need to go kick bum on the situational judgement test.

Now what job do I want for a year (48 weeks and one day exactly). Ive never had a back up choice, abroad maybe??

Hey, so you'll be a FP2013 applicant? Woo, another one! :smile: When are you taking your SJT?

I'm working on a paper and generally studying until the end of this year, then January to June will be working here in Portugal (oh the fun...). Then off to honeymoon and - hopefully - a Foundation placement...!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skwee
Hey, so you'll be a FP2013 applicant? Woo, another one! :smile: When are you taking your SJT?

I'm working on a paper and generally studying until the end of this year, then January to June will be working here in Portugal (oh the fun...). Then off to honeymoon and - hopefully - a Foundation placement...!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So have you had to re-apply this year? I have not a clue whats going on. I saw your 2 weeks of im going to have a stroke mood. I have had 4+ months of that and I have a feeling its only just beginning. Ive got into this really bad habit where I think that if I dont check my e-mails three million times per day and/or venture outside im going to miss something big.
How do you book a SJT?
Reply 1784
Original post by fairy spangles
So have you had to re-apply this year? I have not a clue whats going on. I saw your 2 weeks of im going to have a stroke mood. I have had 4+ months of that and I have a feeling its only just beginning. Ive got into this really bad habit where I think that if I dont check my e-mails three million times per day and/or venture outside im going to miss something big.
How do you book a SJT?

Nope, this is my first application. In a perfect world I would've applied for FP2012, but due to the (lovely, typically Portuguese) bureaucracy, that'd have been plain impossible, so I just figured I'd work at a hospital here for a while until August '13 - shouldn't be too bad.

Yikes, I do sympathise on the "checking emails a bajillion times per day" issue, it's bad enough for 20 days - must be horrid for 4+ months!! :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Regarding the SJT, I got an email from the eligibility office (I had to apply through the eligibility office as I'm a EEA student from a EEA med school) - asking me for my preference regarding date (7th December vs 7th January) so I just let them know which one I preferred, and they booked me in. Not sure how it works for students/doctors who don't apply through the eligibility office though...
Nuts fact of the day: Clinical coders, far from being a typical admin job, requires three years training with exams. Three years!? To have a career of flicking through patient notes trying to decipher doctor's handwriting!?
Reply 1786
Original post by Captain Crash
Nuts fact of the day: Clinical coders, far from being a typical admin job, requires three years training with exams. Three years!? To have a career of flicking through patient notes trying to decipher doctor's handwriting!?

Really and truly, this is all they need...

Spoiler

Original post by Captain Crash

Seriously? I thought that loads of med students did this for GP surgeries as summer jobs a couple of years ago!
Original post by Helenia
Seriously? I thought that loads of med students did this for GP surgeries as summer jobs a couple of years ago!

I thought that was summarising? That's what my friends did anyway!
Original post by randdom
I thought that was summarising? That's what my friends did anyway!

It's different? :o:

I kind of thought that coders were just another sort of medical secretary. Nobody ever told us anything different, despite the multiple lectures on just how important filling in your discharge summary nicely is so that the coders can code things and the hospital gets money.
Original post by Helenia
It's different? :o:

I kind of thought that coders were just another sort of medical secretary. Nobody ever told us anything different, despite the multiple lectures on just how important filling in your discharge summary nicely is so that the coders can code things and the hospital gets money.

Ah, my mistake. It takes up to three years to be an accredited clinical coder by earning the National Clinical Coding Qualification (UK) . Still, blew my mind that they weren't just dogsbody admin staff.

I got this from a talk about coding today. When they asked what's important about coding I immediately answered 'Money'. I don't think I could get an icier stare.
What decent coding does
1) Allows improved staffing allocation
2) Allows funding to be directed where needed
3) Makes large scale research and audit possible
4) Allows disease incidence to be tracked better

An example

Jamie is working in a busy ED. He needs to make a new rota. But he doesn't know which staff skill mix he needs and when.
By looking at the quality coding information he can see that on sunday morning he has a huge increase in minor ailments which can bebest dealt with bya GP, a large increase on sunday pm of minor injuries for which an ENP will be more effective, and that on a monday afternoon large numbers of medical type admissions appear an extra F2 will help.
Jamie can ask the IT bods to pull up all patients presenting with codes of alcohol and head injury in the last 12 months to audit.
He can see what percentage of patients on each day are alcohol related. Or when there are spikes in diseases, time of day etc.
Prof M on a national scale can collate data from various regions and find a surge in cases of disease x - a non-HPA reportable illness.
And a hospital like Chase Farm can get extra funding to compensate for the fact its coding data shows it has far more dementia inpatients than neighbouring hospitals so needs extra HCAs and nursing.

I can see how the coders would be ****ed off that you would denigrate them so much.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jamie
What decent coding does
1) Allows improved staffing allocation
2) Allows funding to be directed where needed
3) Makes large scale research and audit possible
4) Allows disease incidence to be tracked better

An example

Jamie is working in a busy ED. He needs to make a new rota. But he doesn't know which staff skill mix he needs and when.
By looking at the quality coding information he can see that on sunday morning he has a huge increase in minor ailments which can bebest dealt with bya GP, a large increase on sunday pm of minor injuries for which an ENP will be more effective, and that on a monday afternoon large numbers of medical type admissions appear an extra F2 will help.
Jamie can ask the IT bods to pull up all patients presenting with codes of alcohol and head injury in the last 12 months to audit.
He can see what percentage of patients on each day are alcohol related. Or when there are spikes in diseases, time of day etc.
Prof M on a national scale can collate data from various regions and find a surge in cases of disease x - a non-HPA reportable illness.
And a hospital like Chase Farm can get extra funding to compensate for the fact its coding data shows it has far more dementia inpatients than neighbouring hospitals so needs extra HCAs and nursing.

I can see how the coders would be ****ed off that you would denigrate them so much.

Fair point. I genuinely didn't realise that it was different from a general secretarial job though. :o: Also a little bit of resentment from the whole discharge summary bullying thing.

In other news, massively awkward moment this morning when I discovered the dental theatre's female changing rooms stock only small and medium scrubs. :o:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jamie

Hate being at that place. Please God if I get NCT do not place me there.
Original post by Jamie

I can see how the coders would be ****ked off that you would denigrate them so much.

I'm aware of the other functions of coding - I've used them myself when I've been in audits.

I was genuinely surprised when they seemed taken aback when I suggested that pay-by-results as a function was the first thing that sprung to mind, mostly because every opportunity they get to talk to us they hammer home for 30-45 min how much money we lose the hospital e.g. for putting the diagnosis as '?appendicitis' rather than 'probable' appendicitis.

I respect how useful coding is. I also know how tedious coding can be and again it genuinely surprised me that it took 3 years to fully train as one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Philosoraptor
Hate being at that place. Please God if I get NCT do not place me there.

Chase is a crap place to be a student.
But its a damned site nicer place to work at than many of the other north london hospitals. It was 2 years ago anyway.
Original post by Helenia
Also a little bit of resentment from the whole discharge summary bullying thing.

In my department we don't have coders, or secretaries to do it.
So when my sodding F2s decide it upon themselves to see 13 patients in their shift and do 5 discharge letters/codings, rather than 12 patients and 12 discharge letters/codings, then it means either me or the consultant having to decipher their notes to write some crappy letter which takes us twice as long with half the pertinent points in it.

And as I warn my juniors. If I write your discharge letter, I will be reading your notes. Every mistake, every omission, every half finished plan...
Reply 1797
*is glad Jamie isn't my boss*
Reply 1798
*Is glad I didn't get strung up for not having done discharge summaries on symphony* Luckily I always do mine unless symphony goes down (has happened twice).

As an aside. I have had D+V for most of this week. Which probably started on my birthday. Joy. Why do I feel guilty about not being at work?
Original post by Daveo
*is glad Jamie isn't my boss*

Sent out 52 anonymous MSFs/360 degrees last year including 24 to all my F2s and those of the specialty F2s who would come down to see my referrals.
Not a single negative comment.

The best bosses are the ones who push you to do better, not quietly ignore your faults until you become someone elses problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending