The Student Room Group

Need some advice...

Do you think it's wise to start studying for the syllabus you're going to learn at the start of college now?
Chemistry, as one of my A Level subjects, is probably my weakest and I want to start learning some of the stuff now, to give me an upperhand, rather than doing it in class where I'm likely not to get it the first time round. Not doing Chemistry is not an option for me, because I want to do Medicine in the future so...

Do you think it'll be worth it?
Reply 1
Yes, have a look at the course specification. Albeit I would advise not to study all of the syllabus:yes: I'm planning on reading some novels that I will be studying for English Literature:biggrin: Go for it:top:
Are you going in to As levels or A2??
If A2 it wouldn't be so bad to look through what you would be learning, i plan to learn C3 and C4 so i'm very well prepared for them by January.
Dont do it tbh.Look at the specs print them out but don't bother trying to teach yourself anything. everything will fall in place in september just relax and enjoy the longest summer of your life:biggrin:
seriously though you won't get anywhere and youll be fine.
Reply 4
GCSE to AS level = No. Enjoy your summer, it will be one of your best summers for a while. No harm skimming through the specification though as long as you don't learn anything.

AS level to A2 = Possibly. I'm going to ensure I know both economics units (units 3+4) before I come back, as well as S1 and possibly one physics module. I will not learn them in depth, but I will go over the interesting parts.
I think it could be-people tell me not to revise so early but if you learn it early by the time exams come aroudn you can understand it rather than just have it in your memory. The more you understand it the more likely you are to be able to tackle any exam questions which head your way. Don't go mad and do nothing else during the summer but a few hours here and there when you're bored will pay off.

If you struggle with chemistry, there's a good CGP book called ''bridging the gap''.
Reply 6
diskohuelga
Do you think it's wise to start studying for the syllabus you're going to learn at the start of college now?
Chemistry, as one of my A Level subjects, is probably my weakest and I want to start learning some of the stuff now, to give me an upperhand, rather than doing it in class where I'm likely not to get it the first time round. Not doing Chemistry is not an option for me, because I want to do Medicine in the future so...

Do you think it'll be worth it?

I really wouldn't.
Enjoy your summer :smile:

You may run out of steam and motivation come September

Latest