The Student Room Group

Need history notes, AQA Paper 1 mock

I'm doing this in a week and need to start revising
Can I have notes on

Moroccan Crises
Bosnian Crisis
Naval and Arms rice

Sarajevo, Austria/Hungary and the Serbs; The schlieffen Plan; and events leading to the outbreak of war.

Crises of Manchuria and Abyssinia

Yalta and Potsdam conference

The bef; trench warfare; Britains contribution to the Western Front, using the Battle of the Somme as an example; new weapons - tanks and planes; the war at sea; blockades and Jutland.

I can help you on some of the things you mentioned. I studied these in my AS levels and I got the notes off my college webct for you so sorry for the spam although it is only brief so I hope it helps.

1. Morocco 1905-6 (the Tangier's Visit and Algeciras Conference)
In 1905 France claimed Morocco as a colony and was supported by Britain. The Kaiser challenged this claim while on a visit to Tangier. However, he was forced to back down the following year at the Algeciras Conference when Russia and Britain agreed to award Morocco to France.

2. Morocco 1911 (the Agadir Incident)
After France had occupied Fez in Morocco, the Kaiser sent a warship, the Panther, to the port of Agadir to try to reassert German power. He was again forced to back down when Britain sided with France.

(The Schlieffen Plan - The German government responded to encirclement early on by devising the Schlieffen Plan. This was created in 1897 by von Schlieffen, the Chief of the German General Staff. It was intended to ensure German victory in the event of a war on two fronts, i.e. Russia and France together. It involved launching a rapid attack against France first and achieving victory within six weeks; attention would then be turned towards Russia. It was an aggressive policy as it relied on Germany striking the first blow and would also require German troops to invade neutral Belgium).

To what extent was German foreign policy responsible for the outbreak of the First World War?

The immediate cause of the First World War was the July Crisis of 1914.

The crisis began on 28th June when the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the heir to the Austrian throne, was assassinated in the Bosnian capital, Sarajevo, by a Serbian terrorist. Austria wanted to use this as an excuse to attack Serbia but assumed Russia would back Serbia. Austria therefore sought and received Germany’s unconditional support, before taking action. This is referred to as the Kaiser’s ‘blank cheque’. This gave Austria the confidence to move against Serbia, despite the fact that Russia would almost certainly come to Serbia's aid. When Russia began to mobilise its army, Germany decided to enter the conflict and launched the Schlieffen Plan, which involved attacking France first, via Belgium. Many years earlier, Britain had pledged to defend Belgium against attack, and used this as an excuse to declare war on Germany.

In 1919, Article 231 of the Versailles Treaty forced Germany to accept complete guilt for starting the war. This view was revised during the inter-war period, when it was felt that there should be shared blame. However, in 1961 a German historian, Fritz Fischer, claimed that Germany was indeed the main cause of the outbreak of war in 1914. Since Fischer made this claim, there has continued to be fierce debate over Germany’s culpability.

Not sure if I should have PMed it you but o well, sorry for the wall of text and I hope it helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending