The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I haven't sat the UKCAT exam yet but is there a timer on the screen while you're doing it?
There's two routes that don't use the UKCAT - ones which use the BMAT, and ones which don't use any entrance exams.

Of the BMAT ones there's Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial and UCL, and of the no exams ones there's Birmingham (although your GCSEs aren't really good enough for there), and some others I think including Bristol? This isn't a definitive list by any stretch of the imagination, someone will know more than me.
Try Liverpool and the BMAT universities. I can't remember which other unis dont use the UKCAT
xSkyFire
I haven't sat the UKCAT exam yet but is there a timer on the screen while you're doing it?

:yep:
Reply 184
CoffeeAtStarbucks
I did horribly awful in my UKCAT, looking through threads with people's UKCATs no one has yet seemed to get a lower score than mine :frown:
I got:

Average - 558

Total - 2230

700 - QR
660 - DA
530 - VR
340 - AR !!!!!!!!!!!! :frown: :frown: :frown: i have literally lost sleep over this score for the past 4 days [though it feels like its been 2 weeks of no sleep.]

It went AWFULLY i think i did 3 exercises out of the 13! i lost track of time completely, and anything i did manage to answer was obviously wrong.

You honestly don't know how upset this has made me, I'm a gap year student and got 680 on AR last yr with an average of 609, but this yr its gone even worse!

Where can I apply? I know to avoid:
Kings, Newcastle, Sheffield, Durham, Leicester, Southampton

I want to reapply to Keele and Leeds? and I'm thinking Lancaster and Liverpool as they don't use the UKCAT, but I'm not sure if I can do that?

-----
GCSE's:
4A*s, 4As, 1B (B in ICT)
A levels:
Chemistry - A, Biology - A, RE - B (one mark of A so has been sent for a remark)
AS levels:
Maths - A

Thanks.

Has soton raised their UKCAT cut off?
Reply 185
CoffeeAtStarbucks
I did horribly awful in my UKCAT, looking through threads with people's UKCATs no one has yet seemed to get a lower score than mine :frown:
I got:

Average - 558

Total - 2230

700 - QR
660 - DA
530 - VR
340 - AR !!!!!!!!!!!! :frown: :frown: :frown: i have literally lost sleep over this score for the past 4 days [though it feels like its been 2 weeks of no sleep.]

It went AWFULLY i think i did 3 exercises out of the 13! i lost track of time completely, and anything i did manage to answer was obviously wrong.

You honestly don't know how upset this has made me, I'm a gap year student and got 680 on AR last yr with an average of 609, but this yr its gone even worse!

I want to reapply to Keele and Leeds? and I'm thinking Lancaster and Liverpool as they don't use the UKCAT, but I'm not sure if I can do that?

-----
GCSE's:
4A*s, 4As, 1B (B in ICT)
A levels:
Chemistry - A, Biology - A, RE - B (one mark of A so has been sent for a remark)
AS levels:
Maths - A

Thanks.

Leeds use UKCAT after interview last time i checked
Reply 186
CoffeeAtStarbucks
I got:

Average - 558

Total - 2230

700 - QR
660 - DA
530 - VR

-----
GCSE's:
4A*s, 4As, 1B (B in ICT)
A levels:
AS levels:
Maths - A

Thanks.

aw hun, don't beat yourself up about it too much, it isn't exactly the end of the world:console:

Avoid the ukcat unis but ensure the rest of your application is strong which by the looks of things-grades-wise- it is!

goooood luck.
xSkyFire

Yeh there is :smile: It tells you how much time you have left, not the elapsed time.
Malsy
aw hun, don't beat yourself up about it too much, it isn't exactly the end of the world:console:

Avoid the ukcat unis but ensure the rest of your application is strong which by the looks of things-grades-wise- it is!

goooood luck.

Thankyouuu, I'll need the luck.. lol.
It could be lupus
Try Liverpool and the BMAT universities. I can't remember which other unis dont use the UKCAT

If i did this awfully in the UKCAT i can''t imagine what i'll get in the BMAT! but yeh i might have to do that, though im disinclined towards the thought because all the BMAT Universities seem to be London ones, which are way to hard to get into!
Nutta!
Leeds use UKCAT after interview last time i checked

Yeh they do, as do Keele, i rang both universities up, but besdies Bham, lancaster and Liverpool I can't think of any others that do not use the UKCAT, so I'm thinking Keele because it's close and they don't put that much emphasis on UKCAT? And Leeds coz i got feedback from them last year and know what they want me to improve.. But if there are any other universities that people can think of that don't use UKCAT then i'll apply there.
CoffeeAtStarbucks
If i did this awfully in the UKCAT i can''t imagine what i'll get in the BMAT! but yeh i might have to do that, though im disinclined towards the thought because all the BMAT Universities seem to be London ones, which are way to hard to get into!

But at least with BMAT you will have more choice and more chances?
Best of luck in any case :smile:
And BMAt is defferent from UKCAT, so its not a given that you will do bad at it
Bristol doesn't require the UKCAT at all

UEA, does require it, however they barely look at it when selecting candidates for interviews
Phalanges
There's two routes that don't use the UKCAT - ones which use the BMAT, and ones which don't use any entrance exams.

Of the BMAT ones there's Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial and UCL, and of the no exams ones there's Birmingham (although your GCSEs aren't really good enough for there), and some others I think including Bristol? This isn't a definitive list by any stretch of the imagination, someone will know more than me.

OML thankyou! Bristol don't use the UKCAT/BMAT (i just double checked lol)
And 20% get an interview, Do you think i'll stand a better chance there than in keele/leeds then?
Last year for keele i think 50% got an interview, and of the 50%, 25% got an offer.. But i live close to keele so I'd love to re-apply there! And Leeds gave me feedback so that would be helpful to re-apply.. Gosh it's so confusing.
Reply 194
BMAT = Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and UCL

No exam = Bristol, Liverpool, Birmingham and Belfast
2009er
BMAT = Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and UCL

No exam = Bristol, Liverpool, Birmingham and Belfast

Thankyouu :smile:
So was Bristol hard to get into? I looked at the website and I meet the grade requirements but I've always had the impression thar its really hard to get into.
_Andrew_
Bristol doesn't require the UKCAT at all

UEA, does require it, however they barely look at it when selecting candidates for interviews

Thanks :smile: UEA are like Keele then, All these posts make me feel better, it means I still kinda have a chance.. [an extremely small one lol]
CoffeeAtStarbucks

You may have to try for the BMAT universities. If you practice the BMAT you could get a decent score in it :smile:
CoffeeAtStarbucks
Thankyouu :smile:
So was Bristol hard to get into? I looked at the website and I meet the grade requirements but I've always had the impression thar its really hard to get into.

Only because its lack of entrance exams tends to attract an unusually high number of applicants.
ShinyShiny
Only because its lack of entrance exams tends to attract an unusually high number of applicants.

Me being an example of those people :tongue: lol OML the hardest part of re-applying is definately thinking about where you can apply. Mayyn I wish I hadn't messed up my two interviews last year! :/

Latest

Trending

Trending