The Student Room Group

TSR Veggie Society

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I suppose aiming it at children under the age of 10 takes things too far, but I don't see how eliminating all that PETA do is the solution.
Reply 581
I'm not just saying that, take a look at petakillsanimals.com, as I posted. They do a lot more than just that.
Reply 582
lacto-ovo-vegetarian for 7 years :smile: -my parents wouldn't let me become one any earlier!
Reply 583
hey soz - only joined today so dno where to go to post this but plz can ppl send me messages - rather than disrupt this thread further - telling me which univerisities they go/went to and whether or not they offered vegetarian/animal rights societies? i am particularly interested in Hull, Kent, Reading, Cardiff, Exeter, Southampton and UWE. Thank you :smile:
Reply 584
Hello! :smile:
I've always been veggie, (but I'm the only one in my family who is :s-smilie:, my mum said she used to try giving me baby food with meat in but I'd just spit it out lol) recently got a student cook book by Carolyn Humphries and found it really good :smile:. More or less all the ingredients are cheap too so that's a plus.
Reply 585
Hey, I'm vegetarian :smile:. I guess the normal kind. Though I don't eat eggs, cause I don't like them, but I don't check packets for them.
Reply 586
HI guys.

I'm lacto ovo veggie and have been since February last year :smile: My parents wouldn't let me before this but I haven't looked back since! :biggrin:
Reply 587
Does anyone have good idea's for sandwich fillings? :smile:
Reply 588
Question for you guys. I consider myself vegetarian but I drink milk. How is milk non-vegetarian? It isnt meat like beef or fish and animals arent(or at least dont have to be) killed to produce it.
ish90an
Question for you guys. I consider myself vegetarian but I drink milk. How is milk non-vegetarian? It isnt meat like beef or fish and animals arent(or at least dont have to be) killed to produce it.

Hey, I'm a lacto-ovo veggie and have been since I was three years old (I's hardcore, me!).

I'm pretty sure that the main reason people don't like to drink milk is because of the dairy process, and the conditions that dairy cows live in etc.

I wouldn't say that milk "isn't vegetarian" 'cause it's never been alive, but ethically it's probably better to drink organic milk because then you know that the cow your milk came from hadn't been fed dodgy stuff.

I don't really like having to drink milk but I do for health reasons.
Reply 590
ish90an

Hey!

Milk is vegetarian, but it is not vegan.

As defined by the vegetarian society;
"A vegetarian is someone living on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with or without the use of dairy products and eggs.

A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, or slaughter by-products.
Types of Vegetarian

Lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Eats both dairy products and eggs. This is the most common type of vegetarian diet.

Lacto-vegetarian. Eats dairy products but not eggs.

Vegan. Does not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other animal product."

Therefore, as a (lacto(-ovo)) vegetarian, it is fine to drink milk. However, it is not vegan to drink milk. So why don't some vegans consume milk? I'm not vegan but this is my understanding... Cows don't naturally produce milk, unless they have had a baby. This means that the cows are obviously made pregnant to produce the milk - if the baby cow is a boy, it will obviously have a short life and be used for meat... thus you could say that drinking milk is supporting this. I believe the cows are given lots of hormones etc to make them produce more milk... as well as when she is no longer producing enough milk she will be sent for slaughter.

As I said, I'm not vegan but this is what I understand. If you don't like the idea of consuming animal milk - you could look into soya, rice and nut milks :smile:
3 months ago I decided to turn Vegan for health reasons after reading a few books on Meat,Dairy and general health. I instantly cut out meat and dairy from my diet, which was simple enough, however im finding giving up eggs the challenge. I wouldn't eat and egg on its own, as in a fried egg, scrambled, poached etc but I still eat a few things with egg in it.

The last hurdle in my diet change is to completely remove eggs from my diet, im just finding it hard to find things to buy to eat that does not contain egg, seems like its in everything! Trouble is they use it in a lot of vegetarian foods (seen it in meat free burgers, Quorn products and even tofu products) which is fine for veggies, but not for Vegans.

Once iv found enough things to substitute the things I eat atm and replace all the things that have egg in them I can finally call myself a full Vegan :smile:
I'm vegan, have been for a year.
Have been a veggie for life. Meat has never touched my lips.
Reply 593
I was looking for the Single and Wonderful society and wound up here, how nice!

I am an ovo-lacto-vegetarian from Argentina, which is something like being a snowboarder in Brazil. People here (especially in my city) are avid meat-eaters (to give you an idea, each Sunday I can spot at least 10 barbecues in my neighbourhood!), so the veggie job is a pretty hard thing.

I've been for almost two years, when I realized I was doing something awful, and slowly tricked my family into accepting it (grandmas were the hardest part).

Well, that's enough talk about myself. Maybe it's a bit delayed, but here is my answer to fatal, who amonth ago asked:

Does anyone have good idea's for sandwich fillings?

My favourite (rather complete) sandwich is:
. Hamburger buns
. Cheese (if you are not lacto you can omit it or replace by tofu)
. Grilled or hard-boiled eggs (omit if not ovo)
. Raw sliced tomato with oreganus
. Lettuce (i don't like it that much, but it tastes good in a sandwich)
. Grilled soy hamburger (they surely sell them almost everywhere, here they're made by a company called Vegetalex - 100% veg -)

Hope you try it and like it!

I veg you pardon if I went overboard writing :p:
Bye for now :smile:
dead animal carcass mmmmmmmmm
dead animal carcass :puke: no thanks
Reply 596
I'm a pescatarian :smile:
:shifty: sometimes I'm a bad Veggie and lapse into beinga pescatarian
hi :wavey: I'm Mike
veggie. well, that could still be ethically problematic; i try to get organic/free range animal products if i do. i've only been one since i started uni. i don't miss meat really, i didn't used to have much anyway. and there's always my lovely quorn chicken nuggets :drool:

how about you?

Quick Reply

Latest