The Student Room Group

gap year then year out in uni?

Is it possible to take a gap year after A2 levels and go off and work in London etc (maybe to france n germany as well as i'll be studying them), and then not have to take the third year out in a Four-Year Modern Languages course? as i will have already done what they want to get out of me.

I'm thinking of trying to get sponsered from a firm, but it means taking a gap year to work with them, then they pay you through uni and hope you'll work with them afterwards. So i'll go for it and still have time in that gap year, if i get it, to go to france & germany.. sorry if thats longwinded.

It just might be a waste.. any ideas?
Reply 1
peperharow
Is it possible to take a gap year after A2 levels and go off and work in London etc (maybe to france n germany as well as i'll be studying them), and then not have to take the third year out in a Four-Year Modern Languages course? as i will have already done what they want to get out of me.

I'm thinking of trying to get sponsered from a firm, but it means taking a gap year to work with them, then they pay you through uni and hope you'll work with them afterwards. So i'll go for it and still have time in that gap year, if i get it, to go to france & germany.. sorry if thats longwinded.

Hmmm, you should really ask the admissions tutor for your course at your uni if it would be possible to do it like that. If they do, then personally I rekon you should go for it!

Thats what im planning to do, I've already been accepted on KPMGs gap placement scheme.

just out of curiousity, what firm you hoping to work for?
Reply 2
peperharow

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're suggesting basically taking a gap year and working in Britain, with the possibility of a quick trip to France & Germany? Cos if so I'd be incredibly surprised if they let you off the year out in the Modern Languages course. At my university, I believe they take a year abroad in, say, Germany, and are expected to come back basically fluent in the language. I don't quite see how you would achieve this working in Britain...? Or does the year out at the university you have in mind work differently (e.g. you don't actually have to go abroad?!).
Jenn xx
No. Just...no.
Reply 4
very much doubt it

Latest