The Student Room Group

Grad entry profit :o

Going into biomed (hopefully) this year.

Wanted to do med for ages though, but after initial doubts (def cleared up now) it's taken me a bit of time to get going with the work load, so i applied to all biomed, knowing i wouldn't get 3 a's (i know doubt isn't a good thing), motivated myself better end of year though.

Just worried now about the amount of debt i could wrack up.

My parents promised some cover for initial 3 years of biomed, but from then on i'm on my own.

Considering you don't get tuition fees for a second course, i'm a tad bit ******. can pay off tuitions with maintenance, but then need accomm, food, travel. etc. and i been told that med course is not the kinda course you can get a part time job with. (if you can, i will)

So just wondering.

What years do you start getting paid? and how much? will it be enough for living costs? or am i gunna have to be a tramp for a couple of years :smile:
Reply 1
You don't start getting paid until you have graduated and as such are a qualified doctor. When you do get paid this is more than enough to live on - you're being paid for doing a full time job! Starting basic salary is approx £22000.
Reply 2
You don't get paid til you finish your medical degree and become a doctor (F1). You could work as an HCA or something part-time. You are eligible at some stage for an NHS bursary (covers fees and a means-tested amount for maintenance).

If you get the grades, why not take a gap year and apply for medicine this year?
Reply 3
yoshifumu
Going into biomed (hopefully) this year.

Wanted to do med for ages though, but after initial doubts (def cleared up now) it's taken me a bit of time to get going with the work load, so i applied to all biomed, knowing i wouldn't get 3 a's (i know doubt isn't a good thing), motivated myself better end of year though.

Just worried now about the amount of debt i could wrack up.

My parents promised some cover for initial 3 years of biomed, but from then on i'm on my own.

Considering you don't get tuition fees for a second course, i'm a tad bit ******. can pay off tuitions with maintenance, but then need accomm, food, travel. etc. and i been told that med course is not the kinda course you can get a part time job with. (if you can, i will)

So just wondering.

What years do you start getting paid? and how much? will it be enough for living costs? or am i gunna have to be a tramp for a couple of years :smile:

Unsure what you mean by that - do you mean you don't get the loan to cover it?
nexttime
Unsure what you mean by that - do you mean you don't get the loan to cover it?

He must mean a student finance loan to cover it.
Reply 5
JumpingJonny
He must mean a student finance loan to cover it.

yeah thats what i meant, sorry!

Madprof
You don't get paid til you finish your medical degree and become a doctor (F1). You could work as an HCA or something part-time. You are eligible at some stage for an NHS bursary (covers fees and a means-tested amount for maintenance).

If you get the grades, why not take a gap year and apply for medicine this year?

If i get the grades i might do that, still not 100% clear on what i will do.

But the plan atm is go after graduating. try build up some experience in between as well.

Plus having more letters at the end of your name is always a bonus isn't it :smile:

Damn, i heard rumours you get paid in 4th year for normal entry med (not much mind) guess they're untrue :frown:

so you do the standard starting pay in f1. thats good enough, i'll find a way to deal with it then.
yoshifumu

Damn, i heard rumours you get paid in 4th year for normal entry med (not much mind) guess they're untrue :frown:

In 5th year med (and any subsequent year if on a 6 year course) on a normal course the NHS will pay your tuition fees for you, and you can apply for a means-tested bursary. You will, however, get a significantly reduced student loan.
On a GEP, the NHS will pay your tuition fees and you'll be eligible to apply for the bursary in years 2, 3 and 4.
do we have to pay the 1st year of GEP or can we get a tutition fees loan as on my thinking dont you get 4 years funding so you can repeat a year if nessary.
brokenangel
do we have to pay the 1st year of GEP
yup

brokenangel
can we get a tutition fees loan
nope.*

*I'm pretty sure.
Reply 9
brokenangel
can we get a tutition fees loan
On the grounds that GEP don't pay their own fees, I wouldn't have thought so.
Spencer Wells
yup

nope.*

*I'm pretty sure.

Ill take your word for it, I didnt think you could but one of the medics on the ward i volunteer was saying tonight we can. Very confussing

Renal
On the grounds that GEP don't pay their own fees, I wouldn't have thought so.

sorry i ment for 1st year
Reply 11
I got off a site, that for GEP, you get LEA support (? is that something, or just yourself, because it's for four years of norm med as well) for first year.

and the other 3 years of GEP you get NHS to pay for tuition, and half a maintenance (which you get first year as well).
for a GEP you get a maintenance loan in your 1st year. nothing else. you get an nhs bursary and tuition fees paid for you aswell as a reduced maintenance loan in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years.

for a 5 year course you get just a maintenance loan for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th years. 5th and any subsequent years you get the tuition fees paid and an nhs bursary and a reduced mainenance loan.

OP - if your parents have told you they will support you through your biomed degree, then maybe you could take out loans and save them to be used on the med course?

:smile:
Reply 13
dances_with_lamposts
for a GEP you get a maintenance loan in your 1st year. nothing else. you get an nhs bursary and tuition fees paid for you aswell as a reduced maintenance loan in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years.

for a 5 year course you get just a maintenance loan for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th years. 5th and any subsequent years you get the tuition fees paid and an nhs bursary and a reduced mainenance loan.

OP - if your parents have told you they will support you through your biomed degree, then maybe you could take out loans and save them to be used on the med course?

:smile:

i wish, but conditions = no loans, no credit card. if i break a rule i get taken off support.
Reply 14
How old are you? How well off are your parents? If you're likely to be under 25 at the start of medicine (if you get a place), and making the assumption that your parents have money on the basis of the fact that they can support you through one degree, you might get nothing by way of DH bursay (it's means tested, and a few of my GEP friends have had nothing but their fees paid and the non-income assesed part of the student loan -> basically about £3.5K a year to live on, so GEP is not always the golden hello it's touted to be).

All this is a long way off, but I seriously would talk to your parents anout the idea of taking out your student loan and putting it away in an ISA - offer to make one of them a counter signaturey if it helps. If you don't get in to medical school you can pay it back and make a small profit, and if you do, you'll have some money to help you.
Reply 15
Fluffy
How old are you? How well off are your parents? If you're likely to be under 25 at the start of medicine (if you get a place), and making the assumption that your parents have money on the basis of the fact that they can support you through one degree, you might get nothing by way of DH bursay (it's means tested, and a few of my GEP friends have had nothing but their fees paid and the non-income assesed part of the student loan -> basically about £3.5K a year to live on, so GEP is not always the golden hello it's touted to be).

All this is a long way off, but I seriously would talk to your parents anout the idea of taking out your student loan and putting it away in an ISA - offer to make one of them a counter signaturey if it helps. If you don't get in to medical school you can pay it back and make a small profit, and if you do, you'll have some money to help you.

yer thats what i though, but my parents are fairly stingy accountants.

the money they got for uni is built up from savings and stocks, so it's not like they're paying it straight from their banks, they saved it up over 18 years.

And my sisters already been through the system which makes it worse for me.

my mums a devout believer in making things fair for both of us, so she pays for three years of uni for my sister, and 3 years for me. anymore than that is past their support. and no loans.

I'll probably try argue it in the near future anyway, but i've tried before.

as for the age etc question, i'll be 21 when applying, as for household income, that depends where i live, i'll probably be trying to live anywhere but home, and dependent on circumstances may be living somewhere else as a permanent address (as a true reality, not my imagination running wild)
yoshifumu
yer thats what i though, but my parents are fairly stingy accountants.

the money they got for uni is built up from savings and stocks, so it's not like they're paying it straight from their banks, they saved it up over 18 years.

And my sisters already been through the system which makes it worse for me.

my mums a devout believer in making things fair for both of us, so she pays for three years of uni for my sister, and 3 years for me. anymore than that is past their support. and no loans.

I'll probably try argue it in the near future anyway, but i've tried before.

as for the age etc question, i'll be 21 when applying, as for household income, that depends where i live, i'll probably be trying to live anywhere but home, and dependent on circumstances may be living somewhere else as a permanent address (as a true reality, not my imagination running wild)

i think its pretty good that they are gonna support you through the first degree. but maybe they just dont understand that you wont get as much help for the second degree, regardless of whether you took loans in the first one. so it would be cheaper for you to have the loans for the first one safely tucked away. try and explain the situation to them. :smile:
Reply 17
dances_with_lamposts
i think its pretty good that they are gonna support you through the first degree. but maybe they just dont understand that you wont get as much help for the second degree, regardless of whether you took loans in the first one. so it would be cheaper for you to have the loans for the first one safely tucked away. try and explain the situation to them. :smile:

you know how stubborn parents can be i'm sure :p: but yer will do that anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending