The Student Room Group

University Offers=?

I still don't understand what it means when the year 13 people (i am in year 12) say that they have been "accepted" in a university when they havn't even gotten the results for their A levels. For example some people in my school "got into" cambridge, but what if their A level results come back something like AABB ???

and on the other hand, what if someone with AABB AS levels did very well in their A level exams and pulled their grades up to AAAA , would they have the chance to go to Oxbridge?

Also, since we hand in our UCAS forms at the start of year thirteen anyway, what is beneficial about taking an extra AS in year 13?
Reply 1
You get conditional offer from university. So if campbridge gives you an offer AAA and you get AAB you do not get into. In most cases at least.

If you get into oxbridge or not depends on your predicted grades, PS, interviu (if you are lucky to get into that stage) references etc so there is a mixture of factors.

You can always declear on your UCAS form that you take extra AS and you are predicted an A. It does not look bad. I took AS in German to have some change from 3 sciances, aspecialy dead boring physic (no offence to people who enjoy it).

At the end of year 12 you should know those thinks. Do you have some career advisors or whatever in your school? Sb should have explained all that to you long time ago. Talk to year 13 before they dissapear, after all the UCAS battle we have valuable expariances to share.
Reply 2
They usually mean that they have an acceptance for the time being.
Reply 3
At the moment people get conditional offers before their results, so technically they have a place at that university *grades permitting*

They were proposing to change it too people making applications after A-Level results, but I dont know what happened with that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/204492.stm
Reply 5
could you actually imagine how frantic it would be if we had to wait till after our results? Although it does make more sense, but thats not the point. Ahhh
Reply 6
boho
could you actually imagine how frantic it would be if we had to wait till after our results? Although it does make more sense, but thats not the point. Ahhh

I think it would be better! noone would have to cry/get upset about not getting into their firm offer and stuff.

everyone could apply as usual to ucas with a personal statement and their details, then everyone would be on the system. then after results they could choose the universities they want their application to be fowarded too.

downside could be that universities wouldnt be able to interview applicants aswell, and therefore maybe not choosing the best students.
Reply 7
If the start of uni term was shifted to january, there'd still be time for applications to go in and interviews to be held. Alternatively, results could come out sooner - they really don't need as much time as they currently have to mark papers. Or we could all take a year out between A levels and uni.
My brother applied post-results and thought it was much better, as he had his grades and was able to say to all these universities clamouring for him (poetic hyperbole) "why should I come here?".
Reply 8
But saying that, my best mate got AAB at Alevel and didn't get accepted to any of her choices with those grades :eek:. So she took a gap year and re applied at different uni's (warwick, bath, bristol, exeter, southampton and ucl) she got DECLINED from all but southampton, with those grades? I don't get it, they may be good unis, but one short of straight A's not being good enough?

I'm just saying that if it was changed, surely unis would become even more selective over the people they choose to accept, which is really fair... i'm not quite sure if i made my point here but i can't seem to word it any other way.

Latest