The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I *think* you can get a Virgin train to Stoke-on-Trent and then they arrange a coach from the station direct to Alton Towers and there's a couple of other arrangements like that. It probably has something on the website about transport as well.
Reply 2
The 'nearest' train station to Alton Towers depends on what train company you use.

With Virgin, you go to Stoke on Trent and get a bus from there,

With Midland Mainline you go to Derby with 'luxury coach transfer' from there,

and with Central Trains you go to Uttoxeter.

Stoke is the closest to the park, and Derby is the furthest - so maybe Virgin is the best company to use? I seem to remember it's only about 10 mins from Stoke to A.T. I'm sure you could easily get a taxi or possibly even walk.

This page might be useful to you:

http://www.altontowers.com/resort/gethere.asp

Hope that helped! x
dogtanian
Title says it all, I think.

Oh, but also: How near is that station? Coach ride? Bus ride? Walk?

Thanking you, the most helpful answer can take advantage of my meagre rep power.

Uttoxeter probably is closest, but you'd still have to have a bus ride from there I expect.

Check out people like Virgin Trains, Midland Mainline and Central Trains who usually do special offers including the ticket to get in - and operate chartered coaches from which ever train station they choose.

I think Virgin are Stoke on Trent
Mid. Mainline are Derby
and Central are Uttoxeter or Stafford I can't remember which.
Reply 4
Are they really the nearest stations? Not even little minor stations not served by intercity routes?

Train company sites aren't much help. They only offer deals including the ticket price into the park, and we've all got money off vouchers!

I did try the 'get here' page, but it wasn't all that useful.

thank you, i will investigate the Stoke avenue further...
EDIT: And Uttoxeter. I love saying that word. Hehe.
Reply 5
dogtanian
Are they really the nearest stations? Not even little minor stations not served by intercity routes?

Train company sites aren't much help. They only offer deals including the ticket price into the park, and we've all got money off vouchers!

I did try the 'get here' page, but it wasn't all that useful.

thank you, i will investigate the Stoke avenue further...
EDIT: And Uttoxeter. I love saying that word. Hehe.

I may be wrong, but I think they are the nearest stations. I'd say it's best to get to Stoke on Trent and take it from there - I'm sure you'd get buses/taxis etc cheaper if you do it on the day rather than book a Virgin package or whatever.

Lol... me and my friends always have money-off vouchers - they rule! I'm not paying my entire life savings to some acnefied 15 year old after queing for an hour!
Reply 6
Lauren18
I may be wrong, but I think they are the nearest stations. I'd say it's best to get to Stoke on Trent and take it from there - I'm sure you'd get buses/taxis etc cheaper if you do it on the day rather than book a Virgin package or whatever.

Lol... me and my friends always have money-off vouchers - they rule! I'm not paying my entire life savings to some acnefied 15 year old after queing for an hour!

Aw, but then I don't get to say 'Uttoxeter' a lot :frown:

Thank you; I'm looking into prices for both options now. I say that on the site but thought they were further away from the parkthan they are.

Right, you shall be repped later. As will Expression, another time.
Reply 7
dogtanian
Aw, but then I don't get to say 'Uttoxeter' a lot :frown:

Thank you; I'm looking into prices for both options now. I say that on the site but thought they were further away from the parkthan they are.

Right, you shall be repped later. As will Expression, another time.

Or for the love of Uttoxeter you could just go there instead hehe?
Reply 8
Hehe, well, I'd be swayed, but Uttoxeter doesn't have Rita, Queen of Speed :biggrin:

We don't have Central Trains in London; we'd have to change at Stoke anyway! So Stoke it is.

:biggrin:
dogtanian
Hehe, well, I'd be swayed, but Uttoxeter doesn't have Rita, Queen of Speed :biggrin:

We don't have Central Trains in London; we'd have to change at Stoke anyway! So Stoke it is.

:biggrin:

Rita totally rules :biggrin:. Went there last Sunday, fantastic - also as well as Nemesis, Ripsaw, Air and Oblivion, try the Pinball Whizzer, truely underrated ride !
Reply 10
I'm gonna try everything! I've only ever been to Chessington (that's not far from me), so I can't wait to go!

Chessington's being made into a kids' park now. All the good rides are going to Thorpe Park (not as near to me, but still close. Don't know why I've never been..)

Alton Towers is more famous as a white knuckle ride kinda park in comparison. That can only be good...
Reply 11
Haha! A celebration of the Sound Of Music starts the day we're going! Even better!

Maybe we'll get in for free if we dress up as nuns...
Reply 12
Im from uttoxeter... may i sugest to all of you going to Towers this year NOT to go through Uttoxeter. Although its the nearest station... you have to get a ublic bus... invariably these are tiny gas buses which take an hour from Uttoxeter station because they visit every single village possible, and about 50 people in summer try to get on each one. Seen it many times, laughed at it... then driven off with my free tickets for living so close haha.
you failed then???
Hey, I live very close to Stoke Station, Alton Towers is more like 20 minutes to Half an hour away from here, and will cost you in the region of £25-30 if you go by taxi. And that's if you ring up a taxi company when you get here and not just get in a cab at the station.

I hope this helps,
Reply 15
the 32A bus goes from stoke station every hour at 26 or 31 past. takes about 30mins and stops at alton towers gates.
Reply 16
LawHopeful
Im from uttoxeter... may i sugest to all of you going to Towers this year NOT to go through Uttoxeter. Although its the nearest station... you have to get a ublic bus... invariably these are tiny gas buses which take an hour from Uttoxeter station because they visit every single village possible, and about 50 people in summer try to get on each one. Seen it many times, laughed at it... then driven off with my free tickets for living so close haha.

Err, rather late advice, no? :wink:
Reply 17
look forward to it...the train ride is awesome - its fast and exciting, pity the fun has to end when you arrive at alton towers
Reply 18
you realise Alton Towers is rather remote, surrounded by tiny villages and these humongous parks.
How about Stafford? If not Stoke-on-Trent.

Latest

Trending

Trending