The Student Room Group

Physics-Electrons,Waves and Photons AS Level June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
You work out the angle θn\theta_n of the nthn^{th} spot by rearranging the diffraction grating equation to get θn=sin1(ndλ)\theta_n = \sin^{-1}(\frac{nd}{\lambda}). If n>5n > 5, then this gives an angle greater than 90 degrees. So, you only see spots on the screen when n<6n < 6, giving five spots on each side plus the one central maximum, giving a total of 11 spots.
Original post by shyro1000
Revising resisitance, resistivity and waves. so difficult to find revision. anyone got any good notes or know any good sites? :smile:

I'm don't know what board your doing, but I found this website useful, though it lacks a little depth. http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/physics
Original post by kaltxi
Yep it does :smile: thank you!

But then if the actual y value is not the photon energy (because the photon energy = the y value + energy needed to release the electron) then how can we just use the y-value/frequency to work out Planks constant, should it not be the (y-value + energy needed to release electron)/frequency?

What kind of notes did you want for Resistance etc?
well i will recommend you that you have need to visit some of electronics website who could help you in this way
Reply 164

anyone get jan 10 question 7bii and 8ci

8ci) the ke=eV
0.5xmass x v^2=1.6x10^-19V u know the mass of an electron nd the velocity from 8b rearrange to get V(voltage)
Reply 165
for jan 2010 paper, u need to get a raw mark 56/100 to get an A, that is 120/ 150 UMS, i was so glad wen i saw that..... and hope this paper will be given a low boundaries too..... because its going to be hard ones, as my other 2v science turned out to be hard as well....:frown:
Reply 166
hey,

cud anyone explain to me the term stopping potential?

thanks.
Original post by bites
hey,

cud anyone explain to me the term stopping potential?

thanks.

The potential difference that stops any electrons from being liberated from the surface of a metal.
Reply 168
I need help badly please...

The photo electric effect: (f) Explain why the maximum kinetic energy of the electrons is independent of intensity and why the photoelectric current in a photocell circuit is proportional to intensity of radiation.

Many thanks
Reply 169
The photon theory that explains the photoelectric effect proposes that it is the interaction of individual photons with individual electrons; that is, each interaction involves one photon and one electron. Einstein's Photoelectric Equation hf=ϕ+KEMAXhf = \phi + KE_{MAX} describes this; it is a way of looking at the interaction between one photon and one electron in terms of the conservation of energy. The incoming photon has energy hfhf. Some of this is needed to overcome the work function ϕ\phi of the metal; the rest is transferred to the kinetic energy of the electron.

So, onto your actual question... Increased intensity just meand more photons (since they all have the same frequency). The above equation shows that the maximum kinetic energy of any emitted electron is hfϕhf - \phi; there may be more of them if you increase the intesity (or fewer of them if you decrease the intesity), but the maximum kinetic energy of each emitted electron only depends on the frequency of the light and the work function of the metal.

However, the fact that increased intensity means more photons (again, assuming the frequency of the light is unchanged) means that increased intensity leads to more emitted electrons, and therefore a larger current in a photocell.

Do you appreciate why the above equation includes a term for the maximum kinetic energy of an emitted electron, rather than simply the kinetic energy of such an electron?
Reply 170
Original post by Pangol
The photon theory that explains the photoelectric effect proposes that it is the interaction of individual photons with individual electrons; that is, each interaction involves one photon and one electron. Einstein's Photoelectric Equation hf=ϕ+KEMAXhf = \phi + KE_{MAX} describes this; it is a way of looking at the interaction between one photon and one electron in terms of the conservation of energy. The incoming photon has energy hfhf. Some of this is needed to overcome the work function ϕ\phi of the metal; the rest is transferred to the kinetic energy of the electron.

So, onto your actual question... Increased intensity just meand more photons (since they all have the same frequency). The above equation shows that the maximum kinetic energy of any emitted electron is hfϕhf - \phi; there may be more of them if you increase the intesity (or fewer of them if you decrease the intesity), but the maximum kinetic energy of each emitted electron only depends on the frequency of the light and the work function of the metal.

However, the fact that increased intensity means more photons (again, assuming the frequency of the light is unchanged) means that increased intensity leads to more emitted electrons, and therefore a larger current in a photocell.

Do you appreciate why the above equation includes a term for the maximum kinetic energy of an emitted electron, rather than simply the kinetic energy of such an electron?

As it is the max Ke needed to emit an electron from the surface of the metal :s-smilie:

Thanks allot for that explanation :smile:
Reply 171
Original post by Ralphus J
As it is the max Ke needed to emit an electron from the surface of the metal

That's not it. Think about the conservation of energy, and remember that it is quite possible for a photon to release an electron from an atom in the metal that is not at the very surface of the metal.
Reply 172
energy cannot be created nor destroyed it can only be transferred from one form to another.. As the photon hits the surface of the metal, ALL its energy is transferred to the electron and so thats why its Ke max. Then its only emitted from the metal if the Ke MAX = the work function.

What i explained above was workfunction silly me.
Reply 173
This is still not quite right. You are correct to say that the photon gives up all of its energy to the electron (although it is best to say that it is absorbed by the electron rather than it hits the metal; the latter suggests that the photon may still exist after the interaction, which it does not). So, of the initial hfhf photon energy, ϕ\phi goes to overcoming the work function of the metal. This leaves hfϕhf - \phi. This is exactly the kinetic energy of the electron immediately after the interaction - conservation of energy will not allow anything else. But before the electron can leave the metal, it may collide with other atoms in the metal, losing kinetic energy on the way. So, by the time it emerges from the metal, it may have less kinetic energy than it could have had, but it could never have more than hfϕhf - \phi. This is its maximum kinetic energy, KEMAXKE_{MAX}.

Einstein's Photoelectric Equation describes a conservation analysis of a single photon-electron interaction. But any individual ejected electron may have a kinetic energy of anything up to the permitted maximum.
Reply 174
Original post by Pangol
This is still not quite right. You are correct to say that the photon gives up all of its energy to the electron (although it is best to say that it is absorbed by the electron rather than it hits the metal; the latter suggests that the photon may still exist after the interaction, which it does not). So, of the initial hfhf photon energy, ϕ\phi goes to overcoming the work function of the metal. This leaves hfϕhf - \phi. This is exactly the kinetic energy of the electron immediately after the interaction - conservation of energy will not allow anything else. But before the electron can leave the metal, it may collide with other atoms in the metal, losing kinetic energy on the way. So, by the time it emerges from the metal, it may have less kinetic energy than it could have had, but it could never have more than hfϕhf - \phi. This is its maximum kinetic energy, KEMAXKE_{MAX}.

Einstein's Photoelectric Equation describes a conservation analysis of a single photon-electron interaction. But any individual ejected electron may have a kinetic energy of anything up to the permitted maximum.

Ahh i get it thankyou so much :smile:
Reply 175
Hey does anyone how to work out the answers for Q4 e and f from JANUARY 2011?
Reply 176
Original post by bites
Hey does anyone how to work out the answers for Q4 e and f from JANUARY 2011?

4e revolves around the relationship between the intensity of a wave and its amplitude. Do you know what that is?

In 4f, you know that the two waves are initially in antiphase. You can also deduce from the graphs that they have the same wavelength (how?). Does that tell you how far one source has to be moved to bring them into phase?
Reply 177
Original post by Pangol
4e revolves around the relationship between the intensity of a wave and its amplitude. Do you know what that is?

In 4f, you know that the two waves are initially in antiphase. You can also deduce from the graphs that they have the same wavelength (how?). Does that tell you how far one source has to be moved to bring them into phase?

Yh, for e.i, i know u have to use the fact that intensity is proportional to A^2 , BUT THEN I DONT get the one below it ii.
Reply 178
doing june 2010 paper, anyone know how to do 1ciii?
Reply 179
Original post by bites
Yh, for e.i, i know u have to use the fact that intensity is proportional to A^2 , BUT THEN I DONT get the one below it ii.

Well, what is the amplitude of the resultant wave in terms of the amplitude of S? What can you therefore conclude about the intensity of the resultant wave in terms of the intensity of S?

Quick Reply

Latest