The Student Room Group

Physics aqa as 2017 paper 1

I am sitting my AS exam tomorrow! Any predictions or advice for the new spec exam?

Scroll to see replies

revise
It'll probably be like last years exam. I think there will be some spicy questions this year, I hope everything goes well for everyone; all seriousness! :smile:

It's crazy, because for Paper 1 of last years exam, you only need 52 for an A! However for A to B to C and D ect... the difference between the marks are quite small. (47 for B, 42 for C).
Probably going to do the old spec 2016 paper as a finisher.
Reply 3
Original post by evaristegalois
It'll probably be like last years exam. I think there will be some spicy questions this year, I hope everything goes well for everyone; all seriousness! :smile:

It's crazy, because for Paper 1 of last years exam, you only need 52 for an A! However for A to B to C and D ect... the difference between the marks are quite small. (47 for B, 42 for C).
Probably going to do the old spec 2016 paper as a finisher.

Hopefully!! Personally, I have just been doing some momentum stuff since 2 hours! It's so hectic right now! Hope everyone does well! Also, do you think the specimen papers are harder than the usual papers?
Original post by Teejay12
Hopefully!! Personally, I have just been doing some momentum stuff since 2 hours! It's so hectic right now! Hope everyone does well! Also, do you think the specimen papers are harder than the usual papers?

To be honest, I think they're difficult but not too much then the actual exams. Also the questions tend to be more unusual, since the people who make those papers aren't part of the, I guess you could say "exam paper making team" aha.

Also I think it's crazy how creative the exam board can be with questions.
Reply 5
Good luck all:tongue:
Reply 6
Im doing A2, so I wont be participating in the paper tomorrow. However last year I found the AS paper extremely hard, much harder then the old spec papers, but as said the grade boundaries were very low, I missed like 2 pages and messed up pn multiple choice but in the end I got an A (no idea how)
Anyway, good luck for tomorrow!:smile: I just wonder if you could tell me how you found it compared to last years paper to see if the exam has calmed down a bit due to the level of difficulty (this may give me some hope for my upcoming A2 physics exams)
Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by J__
Good luck all:tongue:

Thanks a lot!
I am absolutely shxtting myself right now
Reply 9
Original post by Rexar
Im doing A2, so I wont be participating in the paper tomorrow. However last year I found the AS paper extremely hard, much harder then the old spec papers, but as said the grade boundaries were very low, I missed like 2 pages and messed up pn multiple choice but in the end I got an A (no idea how)
Anyway, good luck for tomorrow!:smile: I just wonder if you could tell me how you found it compared to last years paper to see if the exam has calmed down a bit due to the level of difficulty (this may give me some hope for my upcoming A2 physics exams)
Thanks!

Ahh yeah, hopefully it's a little easier this year! Fingers crossed! Thanks a bunch! And yeah, I'll totally try and compare both the papers and see how I found this years' one! GOOD LUCK FOR A2!!
Reply 10
Original post by Essy_Pardo
I am absolutely shxtting myself right now

SAME OMG HAHA hopefully AQA show some mercy this year!
Reply 11
To be honest, I think they're difficult but not too much then the actual exams. Also the questions tend to be more unusual, since the people who make those papers aren't part of the, I guess you could say "exam paper making team" aha.

Also I think it's crazy how creative the exam board can be with questions.

Ahh i see, yeah they might put in some new questions this year tbh! The creativity with the question types is so crazyyyyyy omg! The papers are more concept based now! But hopefully, we all do well! Good luck for it!
Reply 12
Ahh yeah, hopefully it's a little easier this year! Fingers crossed! Thanks a bunch! And yeah, I'll totally try and compare both the papers and see how I found this years' one! GOOD LUCK FOR A2!!

Thanks alloot! :smile: So scared for A2 but I got a while yet until the first exam (15th of June). I think that after you have done the second year, AS becomes allot easier because when I redid it I got much higher!
I am also a fan of the new multiple choice sections added which most people dont like, its all just about manipulating equations and using ratios.
But anyway, good luck for the exam tomorrow, im sure you will do great!
Plus, the section which was expecially hard for me last year was the practical paper, they really through some tricky questions at us, so hopefully they make it kuch easier this time round!
Reply 13
Original post by Rexar
Thanks alloot! :smile: So scared for A2 but I got a while yet until the first exam (15th of June). I think that after you have done the second year, AS becomes allot easier because when I redid it I got much higher!
I am also a fan of the new multiple choice sections added which most people dont like, its all just about manipulating equations and using ratios.
But anyway, good luck for the exam tomorrow, im sure you will do great!
Plus, the section which was expecially hard for me last year was the practical paper, they really through some tricky questions at us, so hopefully they make it kuch easier this time round!

Thanks a bunch again! I'm sure you'll do great at A2 as well! Yeah tbh the multiple choice section is pretty nice in terms of gaining marks from it! Do you have any last minute revision tips or any predictions for the paper? Thanks :smile:
SAME OMG HAHA hopefully AQA show some mercy this year!

yeah im lowkey kinda scared. it's crazy because i know my **** and stuff but sometimes when you just get a question you can't answer, even tho you have the tools its annoying and scary.
does anyone else think that last years AS paper 1 was easier than the specimen paper 1
Reply 16
Thanks a bunch again! I'm sure you'll do great at A2 as well! Yeah tbh the multiple choice section is pretty nice in terms of gaining marks from it! Do you have any last minute revision tips or any predictions for the paper? Thanks :smile:

Well I know that they like to throw a lot of really tricky mechanics questions in these tests, so that would be what I wpuld do most of. That and electrocity. Particles, quantum,waves and materials can be very basic (and most often are) though last year here were some trocky waves questions! Definitions are limited on the new specimen, I would focus on loosig at tricky mechaincs questions!
Anyway good luck once more!
Good luck tomorrow everyone! Im going to set 100 alarms to make sure i wake up on time
Reply 18
yeah im lowkey kinda scared. it's crazy because i know my **** and stuff but sometimes when you just get a question you can't answer, even tho you have the tools its annoying and scary.

Ahh ikrrrr im scared myself haha! Hopefully its easy!!
Reply 19
im doing it from aqa and even though ive revised every single topic i feel like its not enough, should i go through past papers or the spec paper

Quick Reply

Latest