The Student Room Group

How do I explain this problem? Centripetal/Centrifugal force!

Basically to answer the question below, I am trying to say that the water droplets move outward to the edges of the drum for whatever reason and once they pass through the holes they fly off tangentially to the drum. But I'm having difficulty finding the correct blend of words...

"What is the purpose of a spin cycle of a washing machine? Explain in terms of acceleration components."

The purpose of a spin cycle of a washing machine is to remove water from clothes.

The drum of radius, r, rotating with speed, v, will have a centripetal acceleration acp=v2ra_{cp} = \frac{v^2}{r} which is provided by a centripetal force, acting toward the centre of the drum, which in turn has an equal and opposite reaction (centrifugal?) force.

The Inertia of the clothes and the water particles encourages them to keep them moving in a straight line, that with the combination of the reaction force, causes them to move around the edge of the drum and the water particles move out through the holes in the drum, which then fly off at a tangent to the drum's rotation.
-------------

Is there anything wrong with what I have said? How can I word it better?
Reply 1
Original post by goodfellow
Basically to answer the question below, I am trying to say that the water droplets move outward to the edges of the drum for whatever reason and once they pass through the holes they fly off tangentially to the drum. But I'm having difficulty finding the correct blend of words...

"What is the purpose of a spin cycle of a washing machine? Explain in terms of acceleration components."

The purpose of a spin cycle of a washing machine is to remove water from clothes.

The drum of radius, r, rotating with speed, v, will have a centripetal acceleration acp=v2ra_{cp} = \frac{v^2}{r} which is provided by a centripetal force, acting toward the centre of the drum, which in turn has an equal and opposite reaction (centrifugal?) force.

The Inertia of the clothes and the water particles encourages them to keep them moving in a straight line, that with the combination of the reaction force, causes them to move around the edge of the drum and the water particles move out through the holes in the drum, which then fly off at a tangent to the drum's rotation.
-------------

Is there anything wrong with what I have said? How can I word it better?

Centrifugal force is imaginary. Instead, the water droplets perceive gravity in the opposite direction to the centripetal force and so are inclined to move outwards, away from the centre of the drum.

I probably have not explained that very well but I found that this lecture was very useful in explaining circular motion. I highly recommend it if you have time to watch it:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/lecture-5/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Star-girl
Centrifugal force is imaginary. Instead, the water droplets perceive gravity in the opposite direction to the centripetal force and so are inclined to move outwards, away from the centre of the drum.

I probably have not explained that very well but I found that this lecture was very useful in explaining circular motion. I highly recommend it if you have time to watch it:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/lecture-5/

Yes but the equal and opposite reaction force to the centripetal force is not imaginary and is sometimes referred to as the 'reactive centrifugal force' which is why I put a question mark next to centrifugal force.

And thanks for the link.
Reply 3
Original post by goodfellow
Yes but the equal and opposite reaction force to the centripetal force is not imaginary and is sometimes referred to as the 'reactive centrifugal force' which is why I put a question mark next to centrifugal force.

And thanks for the link.

I have heard that too but I am not really sure about it since whenever I mentioned it to my Physics teacher he give me a :lolwut: expression and tell me it didn't exist. :s-smilie:

You are welcome; that lecture series is amazing.
Reply 4
After watching that video, at 19:00 min in it is making me want to reconsider what I have said...

I don't think there is a centripetal force acting toward the centre of the drum, the clothes/water simply move in a straight line toward the
holes...

edit - no there would be a centripetal force of the drum wall pushing on the clothes/water particles.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one.
(edited 12 years ago)
The reaction forces of the clothes on the drum would simply be called 'reaction forces'

Centrifugal force is a funny thing.. To say it "doesn't exist" is a little wrong.

Without too much detail; Centrifugal forces 'appear' to be real in non-inertial reference frames. For instance, imagine you are in a car, with something on the dashboard. Going around the roundabout, the something slides to the left hand side of the dash. In the reference frame of the car, some force pushed that something and did work on it, while the centripetal force was working on the whole frame. This is an example of a fictitious force, one that doesn't actually exist (since it's not observable in all reference frames) but can still do work in some. The reason why it's a little wrong to say it doesn't exist is because it turns out gravity is in fact, a fictitious force; yet we all know how real that is.
Original post by FireGarden
The reaction forces of the clothes on the drum would simply be called 'reaction forces'

Centrifugal force is a funny thing.. To say it "doesn't exist" is a little wrong.

Without too much detail; Centrifugal forces 'appear' to be real in non-inertial reference frames. For instance, imagine you are in a car, with something on the dashboard. Going around the roundabout, the something slides to the left hand side of the dash. In the reference frame of the car, some force pushed that something and did work on it, while the centripetal force was working on the whole frame. This is an example of a fictitious force, one that doesn't actually exist (since it's not observable in all reference frames) but can still do work in some. The reason why it's a little wrong to say it doesn't exist is because it turns out gravity is in fact, a fictitious force; yet we all know how real that is.

Explain?
A fictitious force is one that appears to act upon masses in non-inertial reference frames, and in Einstein's general relativity, all fictitious forces acting on masses are proportional to the amount of mass; which is also true for gravity. He showed that for gravity, the force experienced locally, or by an observer in a non-inertial reference frame are actually the same (Look up the Equivalence Principle). It was from the view of gravity being a fictitious force, that general relativity describes the apparent acceleration due to gravity as the curvature of spacetime. Sorry if that's hard to read - I haven't actually studied general relativity yet, only read a little bit out of interest from when I studied special relativity.

Quick Reply

Latest