The Student Room Group

Mathematics Of Mechanics (yay)

Yo guys wat uup, how was the mechancis exam???
bro where are the mechanics players out there 💪
How did you find it? My friend took the exam and said it was fair.
Hi i wouldnt say it was hard it was more straightforward I found it.

Original post by Blobfish12345
How did you find it? My friend took the exam and said it was fair.
Reply 4
would you guys reccomend taking it as an extra AH? I'm sitting my highers just now and am planning on taking AH maths, physics, and computing and i think I would like to study mechanics also. Do you think it would be managable? Glad to hear you found the exam alright, and good luck on your others!
Original post by emkelt
would you guys reccomend taking it as an extra AH? I'm sitting my highers just now and am planning on taking AH maths, physics, and computing and i think I would like to study mechanics also. Do you think it would be managable? Glad to hear you found the exam alright, and good luck on your others!

depends whether you need it or not like what course you applying for
and whether you have the free time for it- remember you now have the full cs and physics projects to do aswell
mechanics is very problem solving based so imo I personally would not reccomend someone to pick it unless they are getting As consistently at Math and Physics, the problem solving is more challenging imo as they can easily combine many of the topics together

For me I had to self teach myself and my school signed me up for the exam- next year they are bringing back centre of mass and moments which is the main new topics that were taken out- If you dont have a teacher for mechanics go to a teacher that done an engineering degree/physics/math teacher I got lucky enough to have a teacher who done engineering as a degree at my school so I could as help for quesitons from this course
I took it for fun / Its usefull for engineering aparently and because of my timetable I had alot of free time to do it within and without school.
In the end (sorry for the all over the place message - kinda in a mess studying for my subjects lol) Only go for it if you have the perseverance imo

Good Luck With Your Exams To!
Reply 6
Original post by cantdomathlikefr
depends whether you need it or not like what course you applying for
and whether you have the free time for it- remember you now have the full cs and physics projects to do aswell
mechanics is very problem solving based so imo I personally would not reccomend someone to pick it unless they are getting As consistently at Math and Physics, the problem solving is more challenging imo as they can easily combine many of the topics together

For me I had to self teach myself and my school signed me up for the exam- next year they are bringing back centre of mass and moments which is the main new topics that were taken out- If you dont have a teacher for mechanics go to a teacher that done an engineering degree/physics/math teacher I got lucky enough to have a teacher who done engineering as a degree at my school so I could as help for quesitons from this course
I took it for fun / Its usefull for engineering aparently and because of my timetable I had alot of free time to do it within and without school.
In the end (sorry for the all over the place message - kinda in a mess studying for my subjects lol) Only go for it if you have the perseverance imo

Good Luck With Your Exams To!

Thank you for your response!
I do consistently get straight A's in maths and physcis (& i enjoy them too). I think I am planning to do either computing/engineering at uni. It is unfortunate that all the course regulations have been reverted, so that is a good point about the free time (and with applying for uni as well...). I think I would be mostly self-teaching (they said I could travel to another school if timetables lined up), but two others are doing it as well with me, plus my physics teacher next year is very helpful!
Can I ask what you used to self teach? I had a quick look and I can't seem to find much from a brief glance at the internet.
Original post by emkelt
Thank you for your response!
I do consistently get straight A's in maths and physcis (& i enjoy them too). I think I am planning to do either computing/engineering at uni. It is unfortunate that all the course regulations have been reverted, so that is a good point about the free time (and with applying for uni as well...). I think I would be mostly self-teaching (they said I could travel to another school if timetables lined up), but two others are doing it as well with me, plus my physics teacher next year is very helpful!
Can I ask what you used to self teach? I had a quick look and I can't seem to find much from a brief glance at the internet.

Hello again!
Thats glad to hear that you are great and that you enjoy maths and physics (the 2 objectively best subjects lol)!
its a fun wee challenge not going to lie, I had to search around the internet for some notes - im sure your familiar with DLB maths? he also does mechanics past papers - he might be the only - they are quite helpful videos to understand how everything works
for some of the centripetal banked motion I watched eddie woo - another great mathmetician - I just typed up "eddie woo centripetal force" I would watch as many videos on the individual units as possible, I think the "Organic Chemistry Tutor" has some physics/mechancy kind of videos as well

for websites
for this one i would recommend finnishing the homeworks before going into the exam
https://www.national5maths.co.uk/free-ah-mechanics/
This one is where I found more questions - not past papers but more standered notes for them + if you look around this website you can find an unofficial formula sheet where you will have to memorize all of the formulas within it - you may not be aware but you have to memorize alot of the higher/ah physics formula for motion ie F=mv^2/r rotational motion etc
now - for the new topics comming back into the course centre of mass and moments I dont know where to look for good notes specifically but im sure you can find books for A level maths - mechanics that teach more than what you require if your interested in getting physical books - I dont remember seeing any books for specifically AH mechanics but you can buy some from the A level syllabus under mechanics and further mechanics (A or AS level i cannot remmebr but youll notice it when you get to going through the topics)
but you might have to ask people about these books and get information that will help you more for a proper book to go through

Also one last thing when attempting the past papers the pre 2015 papers are alot harder compared to todays standared.
if you have any more questions go ahead and ask them!
well good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by cantdomathlikefr
Hello again!
Thats glad to hear that you are great and that you enjoy maths and physics (the 2 objectively best subjects lol)!
its a fun wee challenge not going to lie, I had to search around the internet for some notes - im sure your familiar with DLB maths? he also does mechanics past papers - he might be the only - they are quite helpful videos to understand how everything works
for some of the centripetal banked motion I watched eddie woo - another great mathmetician - I just typed up "eddie woo centripetal force" I would watch as many videos on the individual units as possible, I think the "Organic Chemistry Tutor" has some physics/mechancy kind of videos as well

for websites
for this one i would recommend finnishing the homeworks before going into the exam
https://www.national5maths.co.uk/free-ah-mechanics/
This one is where I found more questions - not past papers but more standered notes for them + if you look around this website you can find an unofficial formula sheet where you will have to memorize all of the formulas within it - you may not be aware but you have to memorize alot of the higher/ah physics formula for motion ie F=mv^2/r rotational motion etc
now - for the new topics comming back into the course centre of mass and moments I dont know where to look for good notes specifically but im sure you can find books for A level maths - mechanics that teach more than what you require if your interested in getting physical books - I dont remember seeing any books for specifically AH mechanics but you can buy some from the A level syllabus under mechanics and further mechanics (A or AS level i cannot remmebr but youll notice it when you get to going through the topics)
but you might have to ask people about these books and get information that will help you more for a proper book to go through

Also one last thing when attempting the past papers the pre 2015 papers are alot harder compared to todays standared.
if you have any more questions go ahead and ask them!
well good luck!

this is very helpful!! thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending