The Student Room Group

Pressure differences and equilibrium

I have attached a diagram showing a two-tank water system. Water can exit on both sides.

Question: Looking at the system, at what point will equilibrium be reached

My answer: I suggested that on the LHS equilibrium would be reached at the GREEN line and on the RHS it would be reached at the RED line.

BUT my tutor said that on both sides equilibrium would be reached at the red line.

Surely the bulge on the RHS will increase the volume of fluid and hence its pressure. As such the level would be slightly higher on the LHS?

If my tutor is correct, please can someone explain why?
Original post by jsmith6131
I have attached a diagram showing a two-tank water system. Water can exit on both sides.

Question: Looking at the system, at what point will equilibrium be reached

My answer: I suggested that on the LHS equilibrium would be reached at the GREEN line and on the RHS it would be reached at the RED line.

BUT my tutor said that on both sides equilibrium would be reached at the red line.

Surely the bulge on the RHS will increase the volume of fluid and hence its pressure. As such the level would be slightly higher on the LHS?

If my tutor is correct, please can someone explain why?

Which formulae do you know for pressure? Do they depend on volume?
Original post by PhysicsMathsTut
Which formulae do you know for pressure? Do they depend on volume?

Pressure = density * gravity * height

as density = mass/volme the answer is YES...it depends on volume

Density is mass/volume which gives a quantity describing the mass per unit of volume. This is a constant for any given volume of the substance.

i.e. water is 1000kg/m3 or 1000kgm-3 so 5m3 of water has a mass of 5000kg.

Thus density is a constant and does not change irrespective of the volume (surface area x height) of the liquid.

Pressure = density*gravity*height

The only variable in this equation once the density is known is therefore height.

Are you seriously saying that 2 litres of water has a lower density than one litre of water because its volume is greater?

If you double the volume of water you do it by doubling the amount (mass).

By the way. Your tutor is right.
If the surface of water is free to the atmosphere on both sides, the water on both sides reaches equilibrium when they are at the same height.

It can't be at different heights on different sides.

Take a look at this thread. It deals with a similar idea that might help.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44831178
Original post by Stonebridge
Are you seriously saying that 2 litres of water has a lower density than one litre of water because its volume is greater?

If you double the volume of water you do it by doubling the amount (mass).

By the way. Your tutor is right.
If the surface of water is free to the atmosphere on both sides, the water on both sides reaches equilibrium when they are at the same height.

It can't be at different heights on different sides.

Take a look at this thread. It deals with a similar idea that might help.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44831178

I realised just after I posted that increased volume = increased mass = no change.
thanks though for the clarification :_

Quick Reply

Latest