The Student Room Group

coil moving through a magnetic field, graph voltage produced

physics-1.jpg
physics-2.jpg

Hi,

I've attached two pictures which have the question and my answer (the graph drawn) on. We were told that the voltmeter reading as the coil enters the field, after t = 0.2s, is 80mV.

My understanding of moving coils through magnetic fields is that once the coil is completely in the magnetic field (which in this case occurs at t=0.2s), even it is moving, there is no induced emf because there is no change in flux linkage, is this not correct? It would seem not as my graph is wrong.

Could anyone please help; would should the graph look like and why?

Thank you :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by so it goes
Hi,

I've attached two pictures which have the question and my answer (the graph drawn) on. We were told that the voltmeter reading as the coil enters the field, after t = 0.2s, is 80mV.

My understanding of moving coils through magnetic fields is that once the coil is completely in the magnetic field (which in this case occurs at t=0.2s), even it is moving, there is no induced emf because there is no change in flux linkage, is this not correct? It would seem not as my graph is wrong.

There's no attachment.
Reply 2
Original post by Stonebridge
There's no attachment.

Sorry, they're attached now :blushing:. Thank you :smile:
Original post by so it goes
physics-1.jpg
physics-2.jpg

Hi,

The graph is indeed wrong...
The general shape of the graph will be
0 Volts induced until the leading edge of the coil gets to the edge of the field.
emf induced as the coil enters the field until it is totally in the field. Then,
0 V induced while the coil is totally in the field (you were correct)
same size emf as before induced (but negative) as the coil leaves the field.
0 V induced after the coil leaves the field.

Get the timings from the speed and distance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Stonebridge
The graph is indeed wrong...
The general shape of the graph will be
0 Volts induced until the leading edge of the coil gets to the edge of the field.
emf induced as the coil enters the field until it is totally in the field. Then,
0 V induced while the coil is totally in the field (you were correct)
same size emf as before induced (but negative) as the coil leaves the field.
0 V induced after the coil leaves the field.

Get the timings from the speed and distance.

Ahh, thank you so much, that makes sense now :biggrin: and I completely forgot about when it leaves the field :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest