The Student Room Group

GCSE Physics AQA Topic 7 (Electromagnetism) I need help!!!

My teacher is really bad and didn't explain electromagnetism at all and I really need help because I don't understand ANYTHING
I've tried so many things: CGP textbooks, cognito, Kerboodle, exam questions, other videos and none of it makes sense
I've also tried learning it on 4 separate occasions and I still don't know
And what makes it worse is that I want to take physics for A- levels and apparently electromagnetism is a huge part so I really need to understand it!

I'm so fricking screwed, my GCSE exam is on the 16th of June for paper 2
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ertiop
My teacher is really bad and didn't explain electromagnetism at all and I really need help because I don't understand ANYTHING
I've tried so many things: CGP textbooks, cognito, Kerboodle, exam questions, other videos and none of it makes sense
I've also tried learning it on 4 separate occasions and I still don't know
And what makes it worse is that I want to take physics for A- levels and apparently electromagnetism is a huge part so I really need to understand it!

I'm so fricking screwed, my GCSE exam is on the 16th of June for paper 2

Please refer to physics and maths tutor website (PMT)
carry out out a mind map technique listing all the principles of Electromagnetism and load down self assessment questions
Visit your college or school student support tutor after school or college hour club
invest in flash cards ( wh smiths or amazon do them)
Reply 2
I've tried PMT revision notes, mindmaps and flashcards
I actually understand the mindmaps but (and correct me if I am wrong here) I think they have made a slight mistake in the a loudspeaker is actually to do with the motor effect rather than the generator effect (and on the mindmap, they have written it as part of the generator effect). Therefore, I am uncertain as to the extent in which I should trust them.

In addition, my school doesn't run extra tuition sessions and I have asked my teacher for individual help which she was unfortunately unable to provide. Ergo, I remain at a loss as to what I should do.

Btw, I am aiming for a grade 9 in physics so I can't just 'not learn it' which is what some people were previously telling me I should do.
Reply 3
Original post by ertiop
I've tried PMT revision notes, mindmaps and flashcards
I actually understand the mindmaps but (and correct me if I am wrong here) I think they have made a slight mistake in the a loudspeaker is actually to do with the motor effect rather than the generator effect (and on the mindmap, they have written it as part of the generator effect). Therefore, I am uncertain as to the extent in which I should trust them.

In addition, my school doesn't run extra tuition sessions and I have asked my teacher for individual help which she was unfortunately unable to provide. Ergo, I remain at a loss as to what I should do.tw, I am aiming for a grade 9 in physics so I can't just 'not learn it' which is what some people were previously telling me I should do.

Ah! you are getting confused. Let me clarify the difference
between motor effect and generator effect. In motor effect, there has to be a current flow, a magnetic field presence and of course current carrier would be a conductor( wire,solenoid,etc). The a current in the wire creates a magnetic field which reacts with the existing magnetic field causing a moving force( fleming's left hand rule to d etermine direction of force). This is stepping stone to more complicated motor effect processes. Now, generator effect is the other way round- A moving coil rotating or moving relative to an existing magnetic field generates or induces a voltage within the coil or the conductor ( fleming's right rule is used to deduce direction of induced current flow). Now, in a loud speaker the coil is attached to very light fine cone, and the coil is placed between a miniature horse shoe magnet. Depending on the loudness of sound going through the microphone and via an amplifier , the sound is converted to a varying current, and passes through the coil creating a fluctuating magnetic field in strength copying the sound. Thus, the varying field interacts with the permanent field of the magnet creating repulsion and attraction forces- so the coil moves up and down making the cone to vibrate in sympathy. The rapid movements energise the airwaves to make sound waves. This is motor effect process demonstration- a typical GCSE question. A dynamo is a generator effect. There are two types of generators - AC and DC- look it up in any physics websites. I hope I have clarified the situation.
Reply 4
Original post by mothers1
ah! You are getting confused. Let me clarify the difference
between motor effect and generator effect. In motor effect, there has to be a current flow, a magnetic field presence and of course current carrier would be a conductor( wire,solenoid,etc). The a current in the wire creates a magnetic field which reacts with the existing magnetic field causing a moving force( fleming's left hand rule to d etermine direction of force). This is stepping stone to more complicated motor effect processes. Now, generator effect is the other way round- a moving coil rotating or moving relative to an existing magnetic field generates or induces a voltage within the coil or the conductor ( fleming's right rule is used to deduce direction of induced current flow). Now, in a loud speaker the coil is attached to very light fine cone, and the coil is placed between a miniature horse shoe magnet. Depending on the loudness of sound going through the microphone and via an amplifier , the sound is converted to a varying current, and passes through the coil creating a fluctuating magnetic field in strength copying the sound. Thus, the varying field interacts with the permanent field of the magnet creating repulsion and attraction forces- so the coil moves up and down making the cone to vibrate in sympathy. The rapid movements energise the airwaves to make sound waves. This is motor effect process demonstration- a typical gcse question. A dynamo is a generator effect. There are two types of generators - ac and dc- look it up in any physics websites. I hope i have clarified the situation.

omg tysm ily

Quick Reply

Latest