Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A space rocket of mass 1500kg travelled from the Earth to the Moon, a distance of 3.8 x 10^8 m.
    When the space rocket was mid-way between the Earth and the Moon, calculate the force of gravitational attraction on it due to the Earth.

I used F = GMm/r^2 with r = distance from Earth to Moon/2 + radius of Earth and got 15 N. Textbook however says answer is 16.6 N. Was I not supposed to include the radius of the Earth in the calculation and if so, why not?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.Y)
    A space rocket of mass 1500kg travelled from the Earth to the Moon, a distance of 3.8 x 10^8 m.
    When the space rocket was mid-way between the Earth and the Moon, calculate the force of gravitational attraction on it due to the Earth.

I used F = GMm/r^2 with r = distance from Earth to Moon/2 + radius of Earth and got 15 N. Textbook however says answer is 16.6 N. Was I not supposed to include the radius of the Earth in the calculation and if so, why not?
    The calculation is always from the centre of mass.

F = mg = m x (GM)/R2

F = 1500 x (6.67x10-11 x 6x1024)/(3.8x108 / 2)2

F = 16.63 N

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    The calculation is always from the centre of mass.

F = mg = m x (GM)/R2

F = 1500 x (6.67x10-11 x 6x1024)/(3.8x108 / 2)2

F = 16.63 N
    So you don't include the radius of the Earth in the calculation? But doesn't that mean it's not from the centre of mass? Or do you assume that the distance from the Earth to the Moon that is given includes the radius of the Earth in the value?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.Y)
    So you don't include the radius of the Earth in the calculation? But doesn't that mean it's not from the centre of mass? Or do you assume that the distance from the Earth to the Moon that is given includes the radius of the Earth in the value?
    Correct. Do not include the radius of the moon and earth unless the question directs you to do so.

I agree, it's not explicitly stated, therefore an unambiguous standard must be adopted because orbits and diameters are never perfect spheres or circles.

e.g. the lunar distance most often used is an average value because the lunar orbit is not circular and varies by 50,000km perigee to apogee, etc. (go ahead and see what that does to the calculation).

Gravity is a function of mass and gravitational acceleration is vectored towards the centre of mass.

ergo. always use the centre of mass for distances, unless and otherwise, explicitly stated in the question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.