The Student Room Group

Economics offers 2009

Scroll to see replies

-WhySoSerious?
Hehe same, but it's a college.

and there was no arson. :p:

Ahhh not quite then. :p:

Oh, and this year a year 9 stripped down to a borat suit and ran across the school field for charity without permission. I've heard it was for 50p actually... I sound like I go to a school for special people. :p:

Then again I wouldn't change anything. :^_^:
An Original Username
urgh, i messed up my interview at cambridge soo badly. :frown: forgot rele simple maths.

anyone else think they did bad?

I came out so upset really! I thought I couldn't possibly of done any worse! But its over now and I got over it xp! What ever will be will be! I prepared myself for a rejection so its ok ^_^ And my frd jst keep on saying to me, they know what they are looking for and so if you have it then they would be able to see it!
littlebee2
I came out so upset really! I thought I couldn't possibly of done any worse! But its over now and I got over it xp! What ever will be will be! I prepared myself for a rejection so its ok ^_^ And my frd jst keep on saying to me, they know what they are looking for and so if you have it then they would be able to see it!

:console:
To be fair I don't think anyone ever thinks it goes well.

I'm sure you'll do great in your degree wherever you go. :smile:
Electric_Dreams
:console:
To be fair I don't think anyone ever think it goes well.

I'm sure you'll do great in your degree wherever you go. :smile:

Ya and Cambridge is always just cambridge. Like something that will never happen so its ok! When I said I had an interview at camb to my driving instructor today he said "oh, its that place where all the really clever ppl go. Don't you need to be clever to get an interview?"! I was like thx -_-!!!!! But meh I am more keen on getting UCL or LSE! Really hope I get at least one ><!
littlebee2
Ya and Cambridge is always just cambridge. Like something that will never happen so its ok! When I said I had an interview at camb to my driving instructor today he said "oh, its that place where all the really clever ppl go. Don't you need to be clever to get an interview?"! I was like thx -_-!!!!! But meh I am more keen on getting UCL or LSE! Really hope I get at least one ><!

Exactely.

Many argue that LSE and perhaps even UCL are on the same level if not better than cambridge. Screw your driving instructor. :p:
Good luck with your applications. :smile:
scaryfairy5
Are you taking 5 A2s? (Excluding G.Stud and Critithink. What wonderfully useful subjects!)

I assume they group Maths and FMaths together so you have to achieve higher grades for the first condition.

Congrats on the offer :biggrin:

yeh, doing maths f maths, biology chemistry and geog.
Pandapple
oooh! well done on the offer!
did it come through today?

yep, was quite surprised, just randomly checking track asa mate got a durham offer, and there was warwick:smile:
dougiemacs
yep, was quite surprised, just randomly checking track asa mate got a durham offer, and there was warwick:smile:

I could swear UCAS are slacking with their notifying shiznit.
maybe their email-system gets bored too.
dougiemacs
woo offer for Warwick!

congrats.

dougiemacs
Also, these are the conditions. Is it just me or is the second condition far easier to obtain?

This offer is subject to you obtaining
Obtain AABB at A-Level in 4 subjects including Further
Mathematics and Mathematics OR obtain grades AABC at A-Level
including Mathematics at grade B and excluding Further
Mathematics. These offers exclude General Studies and
Critical Thinking.This offer must be obtained from the
examinations in 2008 and 2009 only.

Probably. But consider:
i)that the exam board will swap modules between M and FM to maximise FM (conditional on you having A in M).
ii)that getting a C in FM might be ask more questions than it answered.
ok so i was rejected from nottingham for economics, l100.

my predicted grades: 3 A's + A in every module at AS level in maths economics physics chemistry, also predicted A in AS further maths, done related work experience for 3 weeks and took part in the Bank of Englands target 2.0 competition, so i was reletivly prepared

anyway the reason for rejection:

i was told on the phone by the admissions officer, that Nottingham has recieved so many applications for this course that the offers given out are being done mainly on GCSE grades and the offers given are currently to people who average 8 A* grades at GCSE and have no lower than an A grade.

best of luck to any1 else
jamesl100

my predicted grades: 3 A's + A in every module at AS level in maths economics physics chemistry, also predicted A in AS further maths, done related work experience for 3 weeks and took part in the Bank of Englands target 2.0 competition, so i was reletivly prepared

i was told on the phone by the admissions officer, that Nottingham has recieved so many applications for this course that the offers given out are being done mainly on GCSE grades and the offers given are currently to people who average 8 A* grades at GCSE and have no lower than an A grade.

What were your gcse grades if you don't mind my asking?
jamesl100

Sorry to hear that. But it is hard to get offers from top places if you are only doing 3 A-levels. i.e. even with all A's you don't stand out

jamesl100

Last time I heard it was 7 but 8 is even worse.
Does that rule apply to all applicants or only those taking 3 A-levels?
Paulwhy
Sorry to hear that. But it is hard to get offers from top places if you are only doing 3 A-levels. i.e. even with all A's you don't stand out

Last time I heard it was 7 but 8 is even worse.
Does that rule apply to all applicants or only those taking 3 A-levels?

Indeed it was 7A*s a couple of weeks ago when somebody posted on here after speaking to admissions, and an email that somebody recieved a couple of weeks ago stated it was 5/6 A*s.
Applicants this year must have hit an all time high for Nottingham to be looking at GCSEs so much:s-smilie:
NesQuiK.
Indeed it was 7A*s a couple of weeks ago when somebody posted on here after speaking to admissions, and an email that somebody recieved a couple of weeks ago stated it was 5/6 A*s.
Applicants this year must have hit an all time high for Nottingham to be looking at GCSEs so much:s-smilie:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15632945&highlight=Nottingham#post15632945

Yes, I think some people owe hookz an apology:
hookz1
Oh my days. I don't know lie about things like this. This is the email I got from Jo Morgan who is the admissions lady for the economics department at Nottingham:

Dear Phillip

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry you have been disappointed. Unfortunately, we receive far more AAA applications than we can make offers to. After the AAA predictions, we look at a number of factors, in no particular order. These are the subjects chosen at A level, where we are looking for Maths and Economics, the grades at AS level and the number of A*s at GCSE. To give you some idea of the situation, I am holding a very large pile of forms with 5 or 6 A*s at GCSE, and most of them will have to be rejected. On that basis, it is probably your GCSE performance that has led to the decision. This would probably be the same situation if you were to apply next year. I think you woudl have a good chance of offers from other good universities, but unfortunately we are very competitive and are having to disappoint a lot of people.

I hope this helps in some small way and that you have better luck with your other applications.

Best wishes

Jo

IT CLEARLY SAYS "am holding a very large pile of forms with 5 or 6 A*s at GCSE, and most of them will have to be rejected".

Now do you believe me?
Yes! I got through to the final stage for Deloitte! :smile: Guess my interview did go well after all
Clements-
Yes! I got through to the final stage for Deloitte! :smile: Guess my interview did go well after all

Congratulations!

Unfortunately I could not get to Cambridge for my interviews today, caught the winter vomiting bug yesterday and have been violently ill all day :mad:

Trying desperately to reschedule it at the moment :frown:
I feel sorry for you guys. I got into Nottingham without any A*'s lol
I_Am_Abbas
Congratulations!

Unfortunately I could not get to Cambridge for my interviews today, caught the winter vomiting bug yesterday and have been violently ill all day :mad:

Trying desperately to reschedule it at the moment :frown:

Oww man :frown:
D'you reckon you could arrange for an interview before Xmas?

Hope you get better soon *hug*
Reply 2158
Hey guys, just got a rejection from Warwick..was kinda expecting it due to there being nothing special in my application, but I was still hopeful. Oh well there's way more applicants with better grades than mine. Good luck to the rest of you guys! :smile:
Reply 2159
Clements-

Congratulations!

Could you possibly tell me the exact link to the Deloitte website where I could apply for a place in my gap year and the vacancies open (if any). As I tried searching the website and couldn't find where you apply. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending