The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

ATRiuM Cardiff (Glam Uni)

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at doing Creative Technology BSc at Glamorgan Uni (ATRiuM in Cardiff) in 2010 and I was wondering what accommodation do you all reccomend?

The ones they talked about on the open day were Ty Pont Hearn, Cambrian Point and The Bakery, so if you could reccomend one and/or give some hints on tips on what I and other people should know about these places it would be an awesome help :smile:

Thankssssssssssssss :biggrin:
Cambrian Point, although it's really nice and quite good value, is a good 1.5 - 2 miles away from the ATRiuM, whereas the Bakery and Ty Pont Heaern are in the same part of town that the ATRiuM is. But plenty of Glamorgan students do live there, so it's up to you to decide if you can be arsed walking for 40 minutes every morning and the same again to get back home.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Joeleh
Hey Guys,

I'm looking at doing Creative Technology BSc at Glamorgan Uni (ATRiuM in Cardiff) in 2010 and I was wondering what accommodation do you all reccomend?

The ones they talked about on the open day were Ty Pont Hearn, Cambrian Point and The Bakery, so if you could reccomend one and/or give some hints on tips on what I and other people should know about these places it would be an awesome help :smile:

Thankssssssssssssss :biggrin:

Heyyy! Im thinking of studying here also but doing drama!

I missed the open day due to the fact im currently in New Zealand on a gap year!

How was it?? Low down please!

Thanking youuuu

O, and im looking at Ty Pont Haearn or the Bakery... haven't really decided yet.
Reply 3
Faceyface
Heyyy! Im thinking of studying here also but doing drama!

I missed the open day due to the fact im currently in New Zealand on a gap year!

How was it?? Low down please!

Thanking youuuu

O, and im looking at Ty Pont Haearn or the Bakery... haven't really decided yet.

The open day was really good, they had a tour around the campus, so we had a look around each floor (mainly just computer labs) and on the other side of the building you have the cinema, drama rooms etc. The welcome talk was pretty standard stuff, talk a few statistics then there was a talk on accommodation, they mentioned the three I have above and mentioned private sector accom. Then everyone went off into their course talks and then there was a few workshops and a tour of cardiff and the accom.

Theres another open day coming up, 31st October :smile: If you cant make that one, just call the uni up, explain that you cant make it to the open day and then you can arrange to go down there one day and have a member of staff take you on a tour, give you relevant leaflets etc, ive been told that the majority of unis do this.

Thats as much as I can tell you really, you can pretty much find all the information given today on their website, only part of the open day that made it special was the tours around and the subject talks and i dont know what the drama one was!
Reply 4
Joeleh
The open day was really good, they had a tour around the campus, so we had a look around each floor (mainly just computer labs) and on the other side of the building you have the cinema, drama rooms etc. The welcome talk was pretty standard stuff, talk a few statistics then there was a talk on accommodation, they mentioned the three I have above and mentioned private sector accom. Then everyone went off into their course talks and then there was a few workshops and a tour of cardiff and the accom.

Theres another open day coming up, 31st October :smile: If you cant make that one, just call the uni up, explain that you cant make it to the open day and then you can arrange to go down there one day and have a member of staff take you on a tour, give you relevant leaflets etc, ive been told that the majority of unis do this.

Thats as much as I can tell you really, you can pretty much find all the information given today on their website, only part of the open day that made it special was the tours around and the subject talks and i dont know what the drama one was!

GRRR!! I can't even make that opening day as im still in New Zealand. I'll shall email them. :smile::smile:

Did you get to look round the new student union??

I guess the only other thing im slightly concerned about is the not living on campus thing. It might sound stupid, but im worried that I won't get the "full student experience" e.g. joining socities, the student union events etc. Also the freshers fair? Meh, I think i'm thinking about this WAYYY to much as there are going to be tons of Glam students in the same boat.
Reply 5
The new student union is being built in treforest, ATRiuM has a small student union behind the building but we get access to cardiff uni's student union aswell.

Dont worry about on site accommodation, one of the three studen accom buildings is literally right outside atrium, literally a one minute walk accross the road :smile:
Reply 6
does anyone know if there will be another open days after the 31st? I want to look into the graphic communication course, and when do we apply for accommodation?

X =D:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: smilies are fun lol
Reply 7
OOOO awesome!! I didn't realise we could use Cardiffs SU! Thats very cool.
Thankyouuuu! :smile::smile:
Faceyface
OOOO awesome!! I didn't realise we could use Cardiffs SU! Thats very cool.
Thankyouuuu! :smile::smile:

As long as you're a student you can use the Cardiff SU, sometimes they charge you Β£1 or Β£2 extra to get in though, it depends what night you go.
Reply 9
RightSaidJames
As long as you're a student you can use the Cardiff SU, sometimes they charge you Β£1 or Β£2 extra to get in though, it depends what night you go.

That's fair enough. But I guess that's better than not having an SU at all... or having to travel 20 minutes by train a few times a week to get to Glams.
Faceyface
That's fair enough. But I guess that's better than not having an SU at all... or having to travel 20 minutes by train a few times a week to get to Glams.

It's worth it as well, the Cardiff SU is no-nonsense clubbing with pretty much the cheapest all-round drink prices.
Reply 11
RightSaidJames
It's worth it as well, the Cardiff SU is no-nonsense clubbing with pretty much the cheapest all-round drink prices.

Well thats pretty much convinced me!

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Latest