Scroll to see replies

Economics? :colone:
(edited 11 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 3101
Okay this is kind of a very weird and random question but do you think Durham has any society or something by which you could go on a trip to the United States? :s-smilie:
Reply 3102
Original post by snehame
Okay this is kind of a very weird and random question but do you think Durham has any society or something by which you could go on a trip to the United States? :s-smilie:

I would also be interested to know this! :smile:
Original post by helen.x
I would also be interested to know this! :smile:

Some choirs and theatre groups have been on tour to the US but it wouldn't be guaranteed (they probably don't go on tour every year and change where they go) and you'd obviously have to audition to get into the choir/theatre group.
Reply 3104
Original post by snehame

Join a society, get on the exec committee and organise said trip yourself :biggrin:
Reply 3105
Does anyone know when Freshers start??
Original post by Lucyy
Does anyone know when Freshers start??

1st October :smile:
Are college fees for catered accommodation the same for every college?

Van Mildert hasn't updated it yet for the 2012/13 academic year but I assume they're the same as others who have updated it?

Also, with the 33 week let do you have to move out at the end of each term? It says you're given storage which implies you need to move your stuff out of the rooms?
Reply 3108
Done anyone know what you're supposed to do about accommodation? Has anyone been sent a letter yet?
Original post by S_123
Done anyone know what you're supposed to do about accommodation? Has anyone been sent a letter yet?

Accommodation isn't organised until after results day when they know exactly who is coming. Unless you are postgrad?
Reply 3110
Original post by Stir fried Giblets
Accommodation isn't organised until after results day when they know exactly who is coming. Unless you are postgrad?

Oh no I'm not. I'll wait have to wait then :smile:
anyone applied to mezzino? I will be doing accounting and finance this sept. Dont know what to choose between stephenson and mezzino. Any suggestions?
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Are college fees for catered accommodation the same for every college?

Van Mildert hasn't updated it yet for the 2012/13 academic year but I assume they're the same as others who have updated it?

Also, with the 33 week let do you have to move out at the end of each term? It says you're given storage which implies you need to move your stuff out of the rooms?

I would also be interested in an answer to this question so *bump* :biggrin:
Original post by TheCookieduck
I would also be interested in an answer to this question so *bump* :biggrin:

Yes catered fees are the same at all colleges.

I posted on here a few weeks ago giving a detailed explanation of what 33 and 38 week lets mean, so if you search this thread or the forum you should find it :smile:
Original post by undergradstudent
Yes catered fees are the same at all colleges.

I posted on here a few weeks ago giving a detailed explanation of what 33 and 38 week lets mean, so if you search this thread or the forum you should find it :smile:

Was it on the Ask a Student thread. I searched this one but no results came up apart from the post I made :tongue:

In other news... I just firmed :woo:
Hey, just firmed Durham for Physics, camping in Van Mildert. Actually pretty excited now, just need to, you know, pass my exams
Was it on the Ask a Student thread. I searched this one but no results came up apart from the post I made :tongue:

In other news... I just firmed :woo:

Probably, if you search the Durham forum or the Ask a Student thread you should find it :smile:
Original post by bistonut
Hey, just firmed Durham for Physics, camping in Van Mildert. Actually pretty excited now, just need to, you know, pass my exams

:hello: Which part of the UK are you from?
Original post by undergradstudent
Probably, if you search the Durham forum or the Ask a Student thread you should find it :smile:

Found it. For everyone else:

For both lets, you get catered full board accommodation for the 29 term time weeks.

For a 33 week let, you get to keep your belongings in your room for the whole 4.5 week Christmas period (in my college you could leave your room how you wanted (provided cleaners could reasonably clean), so you didn't have to put things in boxes as nobody would be in your room apart from cleaners), but you aren't allowed to live in the room and have to hand in your keys at the end of the Christmas term and pick them up again the weekend before the Spring term starts. You can pay extra to live in college over the Christmas holidays, however there is a 2 week 'closedown' over Christmas where you have to leave. If you need to stay in Durham during those 2 weeks, you can pay extra to live in another college with the other students who are staying (I think you're usually put in Aidan's).

For a 38 week let, you get to keep your belongings in your room for the Christmas and Easter holidays, and you can live in your room (or come and go as you please) during both holidays, except for the 2 week closedown at Christmas. It will be self-catered but you should have a pantry with a fridge and some cooking facilities on your corridor.

So in summary:

33 week let = term time catered residence + storage (no room access) over the Christmas holidays;

38 week let = term time catered residence + live in your room self-catered over the Christmas and Easter holidays (except 2 weeks over Christmas).

Where do the extra 4 weeks go then?
:hello: Which part of the UK are you from?

A fellow mildertian! I am from South Manchester myself, where are you from?

Latest