The Student Room Group

What ALEVELS to choose with biology/chemistry?

Im still having second thoughts, i have ruled out maths and physics because im not that type of student i dont think ill be able to achieve an A in them..

What ive shortlisted my final 2 choices too are the following subjects:

RS
English Lang
Psychology
Sociology
Economics
Statistics

Could anyone pick 2 from the above list and tell me if their suitable? will i be put at a disadvantage to those who have all sciences and maths for example?
Reply 1
Original post by Biinaz
Im still having second thoughts, i have ruled out maths and physics because im not that type of student i dont think ill be able to achieve an A in them..

RS
English Lang
Psychology
Sociology
Economics
Statistics

Could anyone pick 2 from the above list and tell me if their suitable? will i be put at a disadvantage to those who have all sciences and maths for example?

many ask this, the answer is NO!

Choose the 2 that you are strongest at and that you will get As with!
Original post by Biinaz

RS
English Lang
Psychology
Sociology
Economics
Statistics

depends what you want to do later. I would take psychology and english language to balance it out, as long as you enjoy those subjects! don't take english for the reason my brother did (a 4th option when he hated it!) and get an E. I've heard from multiple people that economics is a ***** so proceed with caution.

I wish I'd never taken maths. There is no way I'm going to get above a D..
Take whatever you would like best. I took English Lit, Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I didn't really enjoy Maths that much but was under the blind impression that it was a "respected" subject and all the Uni's will like me. But Maths has ended taking up all my time (so my other grades suffer too) and I get the worst grades for it.

If I had the choice I would have replaced Maths with RS or something that I would enjoy. If you have a passion in a subject, go for it. You are likely to do the best in the subjects that you enjoy learning about.

It's a common phrase around here but AAAA (with subjects you enjoy) will look better than AABC (with subjects you don't enjoy).
Reply 4
What do want to do in the future? and what do you enjoy?
In fact the latter question is far more important. I'm the same as 'HighwayUnicorn' I picked subjects that were respected to get me into a specific career that I wanted at the time, but picking subjects that perhaps I don't enjoy has made it very difficult for me to do well in them. So pick something that you really enjoy, remember you'll be doing four in total so a lot of time will need to be spent on each, so spend your time on something that you have a passion for.

Noone here can pick your A level subjects, they are for you to decide and noone else, it is an important decision, for two years of study, so it is important that you pick it, noone here knows what you are capable of and what you exel in, so the decision is totally up to you! Good luck!
Reply 5
As mentioned above choose something you enjoy but do not choose A-levels such as general studies as most universities wont except that for dentistry, if you can/want choose art & design or something dexterous to show you have good manual dexterity and keep the art work to show at your interviews.
Original post by HighwayUnicorn
Take whatever you would like best. I took English Lit, Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I didn't really enjoy Maths that much but was under the blind impression that it was a "respected" subject and all the Uni's will like me. But Maths has ended taking up all my time (so my other grades suffer too) and I get the worst grades for it.

If I had the choice I would have replaced Maths with RS or something that I would enjoy. If you have a passion in a subject, go for it. You are likely to do the best in the subjects that you enjoy learning about.

It's a common phrase around here but AAAA (with subjects you enjoy) will look better than AABC (with subjects you don't enjoy).

Same A level :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest