The Student Room Group

Screwed up my A levels.

I started my AS in 2011. I had good GCSE's with a B in English li/lan, A* in Maths, physics and Chem, A in Bio, B in ICT and C's in art and graphics.
I foung GCSE's to be extremely easy. I dont think i even revised. With this attitude i started to spend alot of time online and playing games (always loved games since my SNES when i was 3). I got used to this lazy attitude of dealing with things when they come. I didnt look into what i wanted to be or what uni and courses i should take. For my A levels i took Physics, Chem and Law. As you can see, i had no idea about my life. I carried on living in this lazy way and results day came and i ended up with a U in Physics and Chem and a D in Law.
Unfortunatly my college had turned into an academy and would not let me retake my subjects so i dropped the Chem and Physics and picked up Bio and economics. I didnt learn from my mistakes the last year and still didnt put in as much effort as i needed to. I doubt i'm going to get a grade in Bio or Economics and probably get a very low grade in Law. The thing is, my college/academy wont let me stay on if i dont get a grade in the 2 AS's i took up. I understand that this is my grave that i dug with my own hands, i just wanted to ask if anyone knew anything at all i could do next year when i most probably get kicked out. I wanted to go Uni and maybe study astrophysics hence the physics but since i dropped that i looked towards a form of biology. Maybe in medicine but that seems even further to reach.

I understand that people old and young go to Uni. Is there a possibilty that i can maybe find a way to go to uni later? How would that come about if at all?

If you feel that its unlikely then even that would help to know cause i dont have a clue atm.

sorry about the wall of text.

-Waz, the idiot.
Original post by WazMan
I started my AS in 2011. I had good GCSE's with a B in English li/lan, A* in Maths, physics and Chem, A in Bio, B in ICT and C's in art and graphics.
I foung GCSE's to be extremely easy. I dont think i even revised. With this attitude i started to spend alot of time online and playing games (always loved games since my SNES when i was 3). I got used to this lazy attitude of dealing with things when they come. I didnt look into what i wanted to be or what uni and courses i should take. For my A levels i took Physics, Chem and Law. As you can see, i had no idea about my life. I carried on living in this lazy way and results day came and i ended up with a U in Physics and Chem and a D in Law.
Unfortunatly my college had turned into an academy and would not let me retake my subjects so i dropped the Chem and Physics and picked up Bio and economics. I didnt learn from my mistakes the last year and still didnt put in as much effort as i needed to. I doubt i'm going to get a grade in Bio or Economics and probably get a very low grade in Law. The thing is, my college/academy wont let me stay on if i dont get a grade in the 2 AS's i took up. I understand that this is my grave that i dug with my own hands, i just wanted to ask if anyone knew anything at all i could do next year when i most probably get kicked out. I wanted to go Uni and maybe study astrophysics hence the physics but since i dropped that i looked towards a form of biology. Maybe in medicine but that seems even further to reach.

I understand that people old and young go to Uni. Is there a possibilty that i can maybe find a way to go to uni later? How would that come about if at all?

If you feel that its unlikely then even that would help to know cause i dont have a clue atm.

sorry about the wall of text.

-Waz, the idiot.

University isn't for everyone, and as you said earlier about not really being sure what you want to do maybe you need more time to figure things out? There's no need to jump on the bandwagon and go to university with everyone else unless you truly want to and know what you want to do.

An option to think about would be taking a gap year, or gap years. So see if you can find employment and if you can't do so in the traditional sense then maybe consider an apprenticeship. During this time maybe look at doing some volunteering and get some experiences of the different fields you can go into in life.
From here you can decide whether you would prefer to climb your way up the career ladder without a degree, or if you still want to go to university you could look at taking your A levels again (and you may be more maturer at this point and willing to do the work).

Another option is to look at other Colleges and sixth forms in your area or within travel distance and see if they will take you.
Reply 2
Thought on btecs? Very much more coursework based which may benefit someone who doesn't particularly doesn't enjoy all the build up on exams. Many universities also accept them, and that's not just the lower ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just like the Above post I would recommend a btec it is 100% course work (to my knowledge) and can get you into good uni such as Brunel! However this still means you'll have to put in some work it may be easier to get a A* (distinction star) at btec but you'll still have to put effort in and keep on top of your work. Btec does have ALOT of cw but your entire year of work won't depend on exam also you can monitor what grade you are working at and will often be able to resubmit and improve your work! There is a business btec which you can do an entire 2 years worth of work in 1 whole year but will consist of 12 units which is a lot! At the end of the day you can still do apprenticeship and get a good job!
Good luck x
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest