The Student Room Group

Psychology students - what are your dissertations on?

I'm currently having a bit of a head-desk moment with my dissertation proposal and so thought it would be cool to see what everyone else is doing theirs on.

I'm doing an ERP study into backward inhibition and task-switching. It comes under the Cognitive Neuroscience umbrella. I'm not too sure exactly which aspects I'm looking at yet (hence the head-desk!), but possible going to look at what part of the process the inhibition ocurrs in.

What about everyone else?
Sounds like interesting stuff.

Well my dissertation was on the relationship between aggression and violent video games which I finished about two years ago. I'm now working on telepresence for my PhD project.
Reply 2
Nice idea

I did mine on the imitation of causally relevant/irrelevant actions in adults having seen a confederate perform them. Was interesting as most of the research done on it was recent, and almost entirely on children and chimps, hence I was able to conclude something different to what was actually expected.
Reply 3
They both sound really cool :smile:
Reply 4
I've put down my 10 options but won't know until midsummer time. this is technically the a-level section so you won't get many responses.you might want to move it to the uni section of tsr.
Reply 5
I thought it was academic help in general?:confused:

My 3rd year is split into a project and a lit survey - my project is on cultural differences in person perception and the survey on Gender differences, theories and treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder in offenders.

Woooop.
Reply 6
Same as Melana, Mine is split into Lit Reivew/Project. Mine is based on Jury decision Making, In the jurors evaluation of emotional evidence and the effect this has on trial outcomes. - Basically Emotional Influence on Judgments and Decisions, Based on Cognitive Theories.
Reply 7
La Trampa
I've put down my 10 options but won't know until midsummer time. this is technically the a-level section so you won't get many responses.you might want to move it to the uni section of tsr.

i didnt know you were a psych student. duhhh it's in your sig :rolleyes: lol

i dont know who my supervisor is yet. i'm really hoping for this guy who does a lot of psychopharmacology. i would love to do my 3rd yr project on somethg caffeine related. also he seems like he would be a really good supervisor

otherwise i will either do a project to do with alcohol/nicotine. the guy who would supervise my project has done a lot of interesting stuff on the genetic basis of addiction. apparently the serotonin transporter gene (5-htt) is polymorphic (e.g. los of different types of this gene) and some people are more susceptable to alcholism than others. unfortunately it ould not be feasible to do a 3rd yr project on this as the sample size you need to make discoveries in genetics is so large. v interesting tho.

my other option is neuropsychology - i LOVED the neuro lectures. however the project i have been offered is a tad boring. i like the female neuro lecturer and she has offered me a project already which is straight forward but... not fascinating. to do with how well we can tell where other people are looking. apparently they have already investigated this with a vertical circle (and this would rpovide a simple basis for my project - background research, the conditions of my experiment etc). not yet been investigated on a horizontal level. so i would set up a table with a grid and ask pps to say what square i'm looking at. see if there is a difference when head is held still and when im allowed to move it.

the other neuro lecturer was good in calss but oh so scary when i went to see him. and i get the feeling he wouldnt be willing to give up time an di would be too scared to ask stuff.
Reply 8
i personally want to do the developmental projects and the ones involving kids. i read up some of the journals some of my lecturers are working on so far and found it all very interesting,so i really hope i can do well in my developmental module so i can get a shot at doing my project in that area.
Reply 9
La Trampa
i personally want to do the developmental projects and the ones involving kids. i read up some of the journals some of my lecturers are working on so far and found it all very interesting,so i really hope i can do well in my developmental module so i can get a shot at doing my project in that area.

before i started my degree, social and developmental stuff was my fave stuff. now i am thinking i should have done pharmacology or biology because it's always the sciencey stuff i like best.

whats your fave bit of developmental?

are you having exams and stuff soon? i might start a thread for 2nd years to talk about revision...
Reply 10
I have to recommend if you can try pick a supervisor you like/know and get to know there style of supervising, If you want someones who more hands on then you'll know who will bemore likely to fill this role, My supervisor while a nice guy and an extremely respected psychologist is a busy guy and really Ive been working almost independently when I would loved having someone could check in with every week.
i wish we could pick supervisors,it's more like our grades predict who we get.obviously you put your fav at the top of the list,but it's just luck really.

my fav part of developmental is kids - theory of mind,that kinda thing.hehe
Reply 12
Ah really? I suppose every uni selection pricess is different. With us we got a list of supervisors each with a liust of sutff they do at the moment and we pick one we like the area of.. It was first come first serve thou an they put the options up on the net at bloody 6am!
it's slightly like that, but you can only pick one project per supervisor (damn them!) and then you wait! i kinda wish it was first come first serve kinda thing a bit.ah well.

Latest

Trending

Trending