The Student Room Group

Parents not allowing Indians and Muslims to be together

well i wrote a thread a year ago when i had been with my boyfriend for 2 months. i wrote about how difficult it was because my parents just werent accepting the fact he is muslim.
they stopped me from seeing him.

its now been 1 year and 3 months since we've been together and my parents still unaware. what scares me is how serious it is and i really am dreading the day i tell them

notsure why there is so much hatred between indians and muslims.
i myself am half indian half white. except my mum is indian and so is my step dad so have no white really in the family.

jus wanted to know what everyone thinks about the thing between indians and muslims. do u think it will ever change? will my parents accept at some point?

Muslims are Indians too you know. You must mean hindus and muslims
Reply 2
tbh its a tricky situation and I don't know how strict your parents are so they may never be willing to accept it until you show some really serious commitment to eachother like engagement or marriage, and even then it may take them time to accept it but as you parents they will probably come to see that their childs happiness is the most important thing, although they may be concerned as to which religion the children will be brought up in, I don't know how religious you are but I'm betting it's important to your parents

However if your parents aren't strict they may be able to accept it in time, and an issue they may have is your age, because if you're young, maybe they think you're just rebelling and the relationship isn't and will never become serious, especially as they don't know how long you have actually been together.

I personally find the hatred really stupid especially as culturally the two are more similar than different, and I think the hatred that started has snowballed out of control so now people just hate for no reason, but if people just looked outside of their views they would see that their hatred is completely pointless.

I hope some of this was useful beyond the rambling :smile:
I'm Indian AND a Muslim! Pretty difficult to keep us apart eh?
tbh, your parents should accept your choice.
if they can't, then they aren't considering your feelings.
He's probably not that devout a Muslim if he has a girlfriend, so they shouldn't really mind? :s-smilie:
I like how religion restricts the ability for people to make their own choices.

Unlikely as it may be, I hope your parents accept you and your boyfriend one day.
Reply 7
Don't let your parents opinions affect your decisions. There is no reason why people from different cultures and religions can't be together and from what i've seen they definitely can work.
Although saying it did take my grandparents over a decade to get used to my parents being together (white + indian) and quite a few years to get over my aunt converting from Hindu to Muslim to get married, so you will need to be prepared incase this happens.
Reply 8
Although I really don't know much about the reasons as to why these two cultures have so much hatred towards eachother, it really does annoy the hell outta me. Okay, "annoy" isn't really a strong enough word! I just don't have very much patience at all for people who aren't open-minded and willing to accept that there are exceptions to the rule. I mean, if everyone in the world believed that ALL Muslims were terrorists, I don't think I'd be able to set foot outside! (And even then, those people weren;t Muslims, but Im not gonna get into that... =.=)

OP, I think you meant your boyfriend's origin (which I'm guessing is Pakistani)? And so, the hatred? Eitherway, two of my friends are both Indian and Muslim, they are two of the LOVELIEST guys I know... I also have Pakistani friends, and they're just as nice! I suppose being the second generation, and now at uni, we're all exposed to more people, different views, and so we find it hard to understand how our elders can generalise people... That doesn't make me any less angry though...!

Regarding your situation, OP, dya think both your parents will have a problem with the fact that he's Muslim, or is it more to do with culture?

xxx
temptationsu
Muslims are Indians too you know. You must mean hindus and muslims

You don't have to be a hindu or a muslim to be Indian. You can be any religion.

Latest

Trending

Trending