The Student Room Group

English Languae GCSE

I recently did my enlglish language GCSE and i answered a question about the problems in the local area, i rote about aliens invading the area, all i wanted to know is if this allowed and if i might get marked down because of using something fake and are the examiners allowed to be biaded when marking their work, for example if i wrotoe something sexist would that examiner want to mark me down. :confused:
Reply 1
They might mark you down for the sexism. There's some other thread on here, something to do with writing notes to examiners where people claim they've been marked down heavily for sexist comments. But the alien thing sounds fine, probably quite original actually which always gets good marks. Tbh though, no one here can provide you with a definite answer. English is always subject to bias when it comes to marking and you'll just have to wait until August to see. Good luck xx
Reply 2
lemony :)
They might mark you down for the sexism. There's some other thread on here, something to do with writing notes to examiners where people claim they've been marked down heavily for sexist comments. But the alien thing sounds fine, probably quite original actually which always gets good marks. Tbh though, no one here can provide you with a definite answer. English is always subject to bias when it comes to marking and you'll just have to wait until August to see. Good luck xx

What i actually wrote was the numerous number of temple being built in my area and how i want to get rid of it, but as an asian person i dont beelive in this but decided that it would be more original to write about something other than littering or knife crime, i hope that the examiner look at the techniques rather then what i believe
Reply 3
No you won't. What you put doesn't have to be true. The more creative it is, the better.
Reply 4
You're being marked on your writing though, and you're using those techniques to convey what you believe. It's such a hit and miss subject, though. It might be fine, it might not. There are probably a whole bunch of people who maybe couldn't even string a full sentence together so on that front you should be fine. I'm slightly confused though, are you saying they asked you to write about temples and you ignored them, or you just changed your plan from temples to aliens? Also, on the question did it say it could be fictional? Because on yesterday's Paper 2 we were given an option of writing fiction or non.
Reply 5
lemony :)
You're being marked on your writing though, and you're using those techniques to convey what you believe. It's such a hit and miss subject, though. It might be fine, it might not. There are probably a whole bunch of people who maybe couldn't even string a full sentence together so on that front you should be fine. I'm slightly confused though, are you saying they asked you to write about temples and you ignored them, or you just changed your plan from temples to aliens? Also, on the question did it say it could be fictional? Because on yesterday's Paper 2 we were given an option of writing fiction or non.

the question was ' write a letter to your local councillor, to express any problems you have with the are' - or something like that, my first point was the temples and my second was the aliens
Reply 6
I have a question; on my 1st Language Paper the third question asked to Write an Essay about money being spent on the 2010 Olympics [or something along those lines]. When it was called out that 'time is up' I panicked and finished with, 'Yours Faithfully, Josh'- even though it wasn't a letter. Will I loose marks for this? I'm hoping it won't come across as so bad to the examiner as I didn't open with 'Dead Sir/Madam' but I'm still interested nevertheless :L

Latest

Trending

Trending