The Student Room Group

Will I be able to get served in coffee shops in Amsterdam as a 17 year old?

I know the law says you have to be 18. I am going to Amsterdam with my brothers who are 20 and 24 and do not want to ruin their trip and they plan on going to coffee shops and stuff. Do people get IDed? (i look 16/15) I have a drivers license to show. Do they really check the date? Need these questions answered . Thanks in advance. Please don't bother if its a negative answer.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends on the place, some check, some don't.

Just get a fake ID card from somewhere.
Sam Alt
I know the law says you have to be 18. I am going to Amsterdam with my brothers who are 20 and 24 and do not want to ruin their trip and they plan on going to coffee shops and stuff. Do people get IDed? (i look 16/15) I have a drivers license to show. Do they really check the date? Need these questions answered . Thanks in advance. Please don't bother if its a negative answer.

Don't get fake id, there is a much simpler solution.

You can just hang about outside, while your brothers get served etc. and then once they have, you just go in and join them after a few mins or if the weather is really good you might want to smoke it outside.

Fake ID may get you into another level of trouble.
Reply 3
you can do anything in amsterdam, i was drunk and i nearly got a hooker when i was 16 if my cousin didnt pull me back
Why would you need ID to buy coffee?
AnythingButChardonnay

Awh beat me to it.
Reply 6
I did when I was 15 :dontknow: You shouldn't have any problems :smile:
Reply 7
AnythingButChardonnay

The nescafe out there is potent!
Sam Alt
~

Me and my friends only got ID'd in one place and when only one of us was 18/had ID she just sold it to him and told us to go "drink our coffee" outside...

Was good fun. Going back in september....

Never got Id'd for any alcohol anywhere either....
I'm hopefully going in 1 weeks time :biggrin:
Reply 10
According to google coffee shops is amsterdam-ish for cannabis shops. :s-smilie:
Just wait till your 18, you could put them out of business for **** sake :facepalm:
Reply 12
I went for my 19th birthday and got asked for ID quite a few times!
Reply 13
I went when I was 17 (am a girl too) with 19 and 20 year old boys.. they all got ID'd in the one we went to, but nobody ID'd me. Might be because I was a girl.. don't know.
By the sounds of it, each place is different I guess.
Im just back (less than a week) me and my 4 mates got ID'd in 80% of the places and we were all 18... sorry if this isnt the news you want to hear.
On a more positive note, im sureeeeeeee you'll find a way to get it! :wink:
Reply 15
Be prepared to face some serious consequences if you take a Fake ID. Other than that you wont be allowed into a coffee shop
Sam Alt

Just depends where you go, could get lucky or they could be strict. I'd wave a guess by saying if your brothers look responsible then they might let you off but they certainly won't serve you anything particularly strong. Just try and maybe you'll get served :smile: if not you'll have to buy it and take it back to your hostel

edit: listen to people who have been recently because they got stricter about a year ago and tend to get even stricter during summer as well
Reply 17
AnythingButChardonnay

some countries are very strict when it comes to give coffe to "children"
You don't get ID'ed in Europe 90% of the time. Also, why not be honest and say what you're really doing?
Oh another thing, when i was there 2 of my 17 yr old friends visited the "ladies in red", if you know what i mean...

One said he was asked for ID afterwards but just said he didn't have any.....

Latest