The Student Room Group

Film Portfolio

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
willlll_b
My interview for northumbria media production is on 11th March and I'm terrified

How should I put my portfolio together? In some kind of folder?

Also, does anyone have some media terminology as I dont do media studies for A level so I really am screwed for the essay and Im trying to learn as much as I can before i go!

Yeah, put it in a folder. Personally, I have one that's simple and black, with the plastic wallets built in (A4 and from Wilkos), but exactly what you use is up to you.

As for terminology and your concern for the essay, is there anything specific you need or want to know about? :smile:
Reply 121
cpj1987
Yeah, put it in a folder. Personally, I have one that's simple and black, with the plastic wallets built in (A4 and from Wilkos), but exactly what you use is up to you.

As for terminology and your concern for the essay, is there anything specific you need or want to know about? :smile:

well to be honest, i dont know where to begin
I'm screwed for whatever they ask me
Ive never anaylised a film
I do english A2 so ive anaylised books and know language terminonlogy
But i dont know anything in regards to Filming terms, camera shots etc etc
I'm worried its going to be the deciding factor to be getting an offer or not, because whatever I write is going to be absolute ********!
My portfolio consists of photos and a few english essays :confused:
Reply 122
willlll_b
well to be honest, i dont know where to begin
I'm screwed for whatever they ask me
Ive never anaylised a film
I do english A2 so ive anaylised books and know language terminonlogy
But i dont know anything in regards to Filming terms, camera shots etc etc
I'm worried its going to be the deciding factor to be getting an offer or not, because whatever I write is going to be absolute ********!
My portfolio consists of photos and a few english essays :confused:

Hm...I'd give a short lesson but I wouldn't know what to focus on. Do you have any ideas what the essay will be about? :s-smilie:
Reply 123
I have no idea, it just says a 20 minute analytical essay
Reply 124
I still have a year before I have to start applying to universities, but this part of the forum is dead, so if I post it now I might get some good replies before a years time :p:

I have a short film I would wanna show on my portfolio, but it's 8 minutes long. I also wanna make a new short film soon, which will probably 5 minutes long. Would that be a problem? It would be nice if they watched both of them. For my first one it's all about the build up and the pay off, so I would be dissapointed if they fast forwarded through it.(although I admit I really should have tightened up the editing)

Another thing is, all the music I used in the film is taken from various video game and movies. However, in the ending credits I do state where I got all the music. Would there be a problem with me using that kind of music?

I just wanna say something to people who wanna get into a Film course in Uni but dont have any films to show them. Just make one! This is literally what I did for my first one. I did absolutely everything by myself. I acted in it, set up the shots and filmed it, edited it, directed it, etc....Of course it limited what I was able to do since I was a one man team, but it really made me think outside of the box and be as creative as possible. It doesn't have to be a proper narrative with fantastic acting. I had no dialogue what so ever. Make a short experimental film, just mess around with the cinematography and editing. Go crazy.
Reply 125
jedsterg
I still have a year before I have to start applying to universities, but this part of the forum is dead, so if I post it now I might get some good replies before a years time :p:

I have a short film I would wanna show on my portfolio, but it's 8 minutes long. I also wanna make a new short film soon, which will probably 5 minutes long. Would that be a problem? It would be nice if they watched both of them. For my first one it's all about the build up and the pay off, so I would be dissapointed if they fast forwarded through it.(although I admit I really should have tightened up the editing)

This will vary from university to university. Some interviewers will want a quick glimpse at your work, just to give them something to discuss with you, whilst others will genuinely want to see everything you've done so far.
If you're extremely proud of your work but concerned that it loses impact if not seen in full, you can always take a spare copy of your film to each interview and offer it up at the end, allowing the interviewer to watch it in their own time if they're interested.

jedsterg
Another thing is, all the music I used in the film is taken from various video game and movies. However, in the ending credits I do state where I got all the music. Would there be a problem with me using that kind of music?

At this stage, the music you've used won't matter. Interviewers will understand that you're at a 'practice' level, and that you've just chosen music to suit your films. However, of course, once you're studying you'll have to deal with all copyright issues properly.
Reply 126
I've just been made an offer for media production

they wanted to see some of my work, but they didnt want an interview :s-smilie:
i sent them my music video that i did for my A2 media coursework, sent it through the post in a regular dvd cover... nothing fancy. then for the cover letter, i just spoke about what inspired me etc...
good luck !
Reply 127
Hello,

please show me your showreels. Since I have creared some short films, I want to make my own showreel from them, but I would like to see some examples.

Thanks,

Saturnas
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 128
Ok if no one wants to show a showreel maybe someone could give me some advices? Should I make it like a clip and put one song or music or should I leave the original soundtrack from the films? And how long should I make it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 129
Hah, I wouldn't say nobody wants to show you a showreel. I think it's just missing it xD.

Here's mine - http://vimeo.com/16730468. It's quite non-standard though, as my work was almost journalistic, but that aside. There aren't any particular established rules other than not longer than 4 / 5 minutes, credit what you did (for example, if you edited, write that you did that not filmed) and have it have smooth pace. Cross dissolve transitions are easy to do and work well.
Reply 130
Finnaly someone showed a showreel!

Thank you very much for your showreel and advices!
Reply 131
When you are applying for a Film Production courses do they wanna see many essays and written reviews or do they appreciate more the "visual evidence"? I have done at least five short films in past and I have been taking pictures many years for now. Do you think it would be a good idea to show two different fields I have been working on: Film & Photography?

My current "plan" for the portfolio is this:
-One DVD show reel: including short clips of films I have done (fast editing, more like trailer of my all films)
-Screenplay example (few pages or the whole screenplay?)
-Storyboard example (few pages or the whole storyboard?)
-Pictures of my films (posters, stills etc.)
-Pictures I have taken (not film related)

What do you think about my plan? Is that enough or do I have to add some more? Should I include/add some written texts (essays, movie reviews etc.) or could this plan work?

And one more question. As a student from Finland I think they might wanna ask me to send my portfolio to the university instead to coming to do the interview…Do they keep my portfolio or do I get i back? And if I come and do the interview do they take it anyway or can I keep it? I just wanted to ask this because I would like to know how many copies of my portfolio I have to do.
Reply 132
Original post by JohnnyA
When you are applying for a Film Production courses do they wanna see many essays and written reviews or do they appreciate more the "visual evidence"? I have done at least five short films in past and I have been taking pictures many years for now. Do you think it would be a good idea to show two different fields I have been working on: Film & Photography?

My current "plan" for the portfolio is this:
-One DVD show reel: including short clips of films I have done (fast editing, more like trailer of my all films)
-Screenplay example (few pages or the whole screenplay?)
-Storyboard example (few pages or the whole storyboard?)
-Pictures of my films (posters, stills etc.)
-Pictures I have taken (not film related)

What do you think about my plan? Is that enough or do I have to add some more? Should I include/add some written texts (essays, movie reviews etc.) or could this plan work?

And one more question. As a student from Finland I think they might wanna ask me to send my portfolio to the university instead to coming to do the interview…Do they keep my portfolio or do I get i back? And if I come and do the interview do they take it anyway or can I keep it? I just wanted to ask this because I would like to know how many copies of my portfolio I have to do.

First of all, make sure your portfolio is in digital format. Upload your video to Vimeo, PDF your script, scan your storyboard, flickr / picasa your photography. This way, if the university wants you to add / change something, you can do this much easier.

Now, my portfolio consists of
- The above reel
- Storyboarding / Screenplay + Accompanying texts
- Photography + Accompanying text
- Essays

I cannot speak conclusively, as from the three offers I received, only one asked me for my portfolio (which was...strange to say the least. Either had an epic personal statement or they couldn't give less of a crap xD). The university that asked me for my portfolio (University of Gloucestershire) said that it liked my accompanying texts the most so plus points to that

I wouldn't say essays / written work is necessary, but it definitely helps. First of all, take advantage and write about your influences, especially with regards to your films and screenplays. It gives you a good chance to 1) show off your film knowledge 2) show your sensitivity to the medium 3) show what sort of student you are.

Essays help contextualize your knowledge, especially if your films were done on a low budget (which I think probably were). Some things you probably couldn't have done (such as crane shots or helicopter shots), so talking about them in your essays helps show that you know your unseen stuff.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 133
Original post by JHar
The university that asked me for my portfolio (University of Gloucestershire) said that it liked my accompanying texts the most so plus points to that

What do you mean by accompanying text? Details pleeaasee :colondollar:
Reply 134
Original post by Burtonity
What do you mean by accompanying text? Details pleeaasee :colondollar:

Basically, with my work, I wrote stuff. For example, for my short script, I wrote about my influences for that script. (such as Gaspar Noe and Alfred Hitchcock). For my photography, I wrote about my composition and colour choices.

That sort of stuff; just wrote what came naturally.
Reply 135
Original post by JHar
Basically, with my work, I wrote stuff. For example, for my short script, I wrote about my influences for that script. (such as Gaspar Noe and Alfred Hitchcock). For my photography, I wrote about my composition and colour choices.

That sort of stuff; just wrote what came naturally.

Ohhh I get it! Thanks!
Reply 136
Can some people check my showreel? I cant post it here(long story), so if you wanna see it tell me and I can PM it to you, please let me know what you think and any advice you can give me :biggrin: im applying to Uni and my films arent professional or anything so go easy on me!
Reply 137
Original post by Jedders
Can some people check my showreel? I cant post it here(long story), so if you wanna see it tell me and I can PM it to you, please let me know what you think and any advice you can give me :biggrin: im applying to Uni and my films arent professional or anything so go easy on me!

i'd be happy to have a look :-) ive done a few dfferent showreels myself over the last year and have seen countless others so i dont mind giving advice if you want. which unis you applying to?
Reply 138

Im applying for
AUCB - film production
LCC - film and television
UCA - film production
Portsmouth - television and film production
Kingston - Film making design and production

Quite similar to you skenn7 :P but I was too scared to apply Westminister. Did UCA get you to fill in a questionnaire yet? I sent it to them just before christmas
Reply 139
I also have similar choices as you guys. I'm a bit worried though since still I haven't gotten any offers....
Anyway my question is: what do you think is better, a showreel or a 10- minute short movie ? Cause I am planning to do the latter(I didn't have time for anything more) plus a feature script treatment plus 2 short movies promoting a Model United Nations conference plus an analytical eesay on "the graduate" in reference to the counterculture movement.
Do you think it's sufficient? Or without showreel I don't stand a chance to for example Westminster Uni?
And another question: if I have very good grades, will they help ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending