The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by takethyfacehence
yeah but do we want to do your course? :tongue:

Lol you probably wouldn't (hence why you aren't doing it), however I will be receiving the best training money can buy, despite the low offer.

(I'm joing the Navy :p:)
LOOL a change from the old 'Are my grades good enough for _____ uni?' threads :P
Reply 282
Original post by Got the tshirt
Anyway I think they decided to punish me for my first interview by asking for A* in FM and A in maths when they knew I was predicted an A* in maths and A in further maths.

The way Cambridge (although maybe you're Oxford as you don't mention STEP? I can't be bothered to scroll back through the thread for pages :awesome:) assign a-level grade requirements is mysterious to me - mine don't care if I get A* in German and A, A in maths and further maths as long as I get A*AA :tongue:

(It's looking like I'm going to have A* in FM and A, A in German and maths anyway, which entertained me :teehee:)
Original post by Blutarsky
Lol you probably wouldn't (hence why you aren't doing it), however I will be receiving the best training money can buy, despite the low offer.

(I'm joing the Navy :p:)

ahhhh. well i am jelly anyway haha! :wink: lucky you having found a career you wanna do with such low requirements!
Original post by kerily
The way Cambridge (although maybe you're Oxford as you don't mention STEP? I can't be bothered to scroll back through the thread for pages :awesome:) assign a-level grade requirements is mysterious to me - mine don't care if I get A* in German and A, A in maths and further maths as long as I get A*AA :tongue:

(It's looking like I'm going to have A* in FM and A, A in German and maths anyway, which entertained me :teehee:)

I'm Cambridge too! Engineering at Pembroke (hopefully) :smile:

At least I don't need STEP. I suppose for mathmos they only really look at your STEP results. My friend had an offer for maths at Emma last year and got A* (maths) A s in further maths , physics and chemistry but she totally flunked her STEP. I think she got 3,3 so she's at Warwick now as she got distinction in AEA.
Original post by mkl
I emailed the undergrad guy at Kent (even though i'm not doing Law i'm pretty sure this applies to all courses at Kent) they expect a certain amount of students not to reach the grades, in my case 50%, and the remaining students are put in rank order and offered a place accordingly. Don't know if this is good news or bad but yeah! I'm sure you would have done better than you think :biggrin:

Just aim to get as close to your required grades as possible, then phone the admissions office if your grades fall just below the tariff.
Reply 286
HELP! I need 280 points for Business Studies at LJMU. I hope to just about scrape it but there's a chance I might get a bit less, let's say 273 - would they accept me? How low do ye think they'd be willing to go on points? I've got a good personal statement and the fact that this is my second time applying to LJMU (applied last year, got 221 when the requirement was 260) might show them how much I want to go there.
If you miss your firm offer and say it goes to unsuccessful can you still try phoning up to speak to the admissions. Or if the track hasn't changed yet but you know you've missed the offer can you ring them beforehand and try and persuade them somehow?
Reply 288
Original post by Got the tshirt
I'm Cambridge too! Engineering at Pembroke (hopefully) :smile:

At least I don't need STEP. I suppose for mathmos they only really look at your STEP results. My friend had an offer for maths at Emma last year and got A* (maths) A s in further maths , physics and chemistry but she totally flunked her STEP. I think she got 3,3 so she's at Warwick now as she got distinction in AEA.

3,3? That's the sort of result that haunts my nightmares :emo:

I may well end up at my insurance, but I actually think STEP today went well, so it shall have to remain to be seen :moon:

But yeah, you're lucky for having no STEP! My life is free of it now though :proud:
Original post by Mysteriouschic
If you miss your firm offer and say it goes to unsuccessful can you still try phoning up to speak to the admissions. Or if the track hasn't changed yet but you know you've missed the offer can you ring them beforehand and try and persuade them somehow?

You can still try and persuade them, but you have more of a chance if your offer still says 'conditional'. I think someone said it's difficult for the uni to change an unsuccessful, and they run into problems with UCAS.
Original post by Political_Pap
I love this idea - how easy do you reckon it would be to pose as a student for 3 years; surely the dedication of fraudulently attending classes would show enough to commitment for admissions people to let me in regardless of my grades? :biggrin:

My dad's best friend actually did this (bear in mind it was in the 70s and everyone was too high to notice). He lived in Cambridge and dreamed of going to the uni, but illness/apathy meant he didn't have the ability to get in through the normal channels. So he made friends with the students on the history course and started going to their lectures, doing the essays set and so on. After a year or so the tutor cottoned on to the fact that he wasn't a registered student, but after reading some of his essays he decided he could stay on with the agreement that he would have to prove his worth by doing an extra dissertation. By the end of 3 years the history faculty decided to award him a degree. 2 years later he was made a fellow :cool:
Reply 291
Original post by SteveScott
I need ABB to go to Bath to do Chemistry, do you think they'd let me in if I got BBBBC? (B maths, B chemistry, B Physics, B Economics, C Further Maths)

I dont think they lower their offer. Try ringing them up. I want A*AA and didnt know whether to do the 4th in Business, but they said that i'll still need A*AA to do my maths course :smile:
Original post by Stressworthy
I know a few people who missed their offers and got lucky in the past for unis like Birmingham, Manchester and Nottingham too. But of course, it depends very much on the course as well... at Birmingham, those who were let in despite missing offers applied for courses such as engineering, less so for the ones I was interested in (politics).

There's only 12 places on my course for Bham.:s-smilie:
Reply 293
I missed my last exam for Religious Studies because I had a fit. My offer is AAA for Durham and AAB for Sheffield- I think I'll have got the As in English and History. Dyou think they'll still let me in if I explain about being ill?
Reply 294
Original post by chebanana
My dad's best friend actually did this (bear in mind it was in the 70s and everyone was too high to notice). He lived in Cambridge and dreamed of going to the uni, but illness/apathy meant he didn't have the ability to get in through the normal channels. So he made friends with the students on the history course and started going to their lectures, doing the essays set and so on. After a year or so the tutor cottoned on to the fact that he wasn't a registered student, but after reading some of his essays he decided he could stay on with the agreement that he would have to prove his worth by doing an extra dissertation. By the end of 3 years the history faculty decided to award him a degree. 2 years later he was made a fellow :cool:

That's such a cool story! :smile:

And on the thread topic, if my course is currently in extra does that mean I stand a better chance of still getting in? Because some of the exams I've done over the past week haven't exactly gone too well.
I need a fat 280 -BBC

Im looking at 240. ACE That is at Salford for social work.. i have applied for no grants fees or whatever beause mine is paid for by the NHS. So if they arn't kind and let me in with my ace results i may just be going to b and q for a nuse. Fml.
After leaving the exam hall today, I felt just about ready to spend from now until August listening to Radiohead and waiting for the university offers to fall away from me...

... and then I realised that I only need 30% on that exam to get an A, and that it'll probably be fine.

Prevent suicide: add up your UMS scores.
Would like hear stories too! offer BBB however i think i done better so might have to go adjustment:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
My 'insurance' course requires me to get 200-280 UCAS Points and i already have 240 UCAS points, but i am re-sitting two of my exams, so i got a conditional offer that requires me to get 160 UCAS points from my two re-sits so i was wondering, if i don't get the 160 UCAS points will they let me in as i already have enough to get in?
Reply 299
Original post by LadyLondoner
I've applied to royal holloway! It's my firm though, so if i dont get into royal holloway but i get into my insurance, can i still call royal holloway and try get in there? (without having rejected my insurance at that time?)

I phoned within 5 mins of opening my results, call straight away and speak to them, if they don't give you your place then call your insurance straight away. They were really helpful to me, I hope you get in, Royal Holloway was incredible I loved it there!

Latest

Trending

Trending