The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
I needed BBB, got BBC, still got in (certainly wouldn't have been allowed the year after though, as grade requirements are AAB now).

Just graduated today with a 2:1... :dontknow:

Congrats! :h:

--
Any success stories with Uni of Birmingham?
Reply 301
Original post by flywithemma
I need AAA to get into Oxford for History, and realistically think I might get A*AB, with the A* in history, A in English Lit and B in French. The B will be down to onw exam, which I messed up. I will have As in the other three modules, and maybe a C or B in one module, which sadly makes up 35% of the A level.

I was just wondering if, because I maybe exceed the history requirement, I would be more likely to be accepted even if I miss the grade?

Also, does being interviewed count for anything? It shows at least they did like me enough.

Oh and I also have an A* in gegeral studies, with full UMS at A2. Does anyone know if this will count for anything?
Being interviewed counts for nothing of itself. In general terms, assuming the college is in a position to consider taking someone who misses their offer, the most likely thing they'll look at will be your HAT score because this is their own test, specifically designed to assess your ability and potential as a historian. Had you not done well in that you would not have been interviewed in the first place, so the issue is likely to be how well you did relative to other people who may have missed their offers.

I doubt very much that they would take the General Studies grade into account, because it is a subject they specifically exclude from offers.
Reply 302
Original post by Smelly Ellie
My Cambridge college sent me a letter saying if I miss my grades they'll have a look at my UMS and decide what to do... So I'm guessing there must be a chance for me if I miss by a little bit :smile:
Cambridge has what's known as the Summer Pool, where people who missed their offers are considered against any vacancies remaining - so it is possible to get in having missed your offer, but not necessarily to the college you originally applied to. I haven't looked up the criteria for placing people in the Summer Pool, but would anticipate that it's narrow misses only - which is where the UMS would come in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Would being from the same city as the university mean you'd be more likely to be accepted if you missed your offer ?

Plus anyone know how leniant Liverpool University are ?
Original post by Minerva
Cambridge has what's known as the Summer Pool, where people who missed their offers are considered against any vacancies remaining - so it is possible to get in having missed your offer, but not necessarily to the college you originally applied to. I haven't looked up the criteria for placing people in the Summer Pool, but would anticipate that it's narrow misses only - which is where the UMS would come in.

Oh that's rubbish. I only want to go to John's... :colondollar:

EDIT: Haha sorry guys, no offence to other colleges, I'd just be very happy to go to my insurance if John's don't want me :smile: Felt really at home there and I wouldn't want to get pooled to a female college or anything. Hmm, I might change my mind on results day :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by InvisibleGInger
There's only 12 places on my course for Bham.:s-smilie:

Don't worry too much just yet! I must admit I don't know enough for EVERY course - obviously if your particular one just has 12 places then it might be a tad more difficult, but you may well have got the grades! Good luck to you!
Original post by wanab
I phoned within 5 mins of opening my results, call straight away and speak to them, if they don't give you your place then call your insurance straight away. They were really helpful to me, I hope you get in, Royal Holloway was incredible I loved it there!

Thanks for the advice! Fingers crossed I get in :smile:
Reply 307
My course has loads of places but it's English which is stupidly competitive and Warwick is a good uni with high demand. However, they interviewed me and apparently unis are more lenient with IB grades so fingers crossed if things go wrong I suppose. :frown:
Reply 308
Original post by Political_Pap
Look two posts up. :]

very funny!
Reply 309
Original post by dosvidaniya
Would being from the same city as the university mean you'd be more likely to be accepted if you missed your offer ?

Plus anyone know how leniant Liverpool University are ?

Depends on your subject, but they let me in with 2 grades down (degree was in Chemistry)
When you phone up the universities would they judge you purely on your grades or just you as a person and how you persuade them with how much you want to do the course.
Reply 311
Will someone please calm me down! im stressing like mad here haha. i wanna go study vet nursing and bioveterinary science at bristol in october, my offer was bbc. im on course to get an a in ict. but i mucked my big chemistry and biology grades up so i think ill only get 2 c's in these and they have to be what i get b's in. does anyone think ill have a chance of getting in with acc? :/
Original post by DMed
Depends on your subject, but they let me in with 2 grades down (degree was in Chemistry)

Mine is sociology, so it would be even more possible ? There is hope for me yet... :moon:
my cousin needed A*AA to get to manchester to read maths & physics. he got CDU (:lolwut:)and somehow got a place :redface:.
Reply 314
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
my cousin needed A*AA to get to manchester to read maths & physics. he got CDU (:lolwut:)and somehow got a place :redface:.

Lol- that post, with the raised eyebrow emoticon after the "CDU" was absolutely hilarious haha!! :biggrin:
Reply 315
Having trawled through this whole thread, there seems to be a pretty decent trend with "I got one grade above a predicted and one grade below, and i got in".

Not that it's worth anything to me, stupid IB :frown:
Original post by malaikah

Original post by malaikah
Lol- that post, with the raised eyebrow emoticon after the "CDU" was absolutely hilarious haha!! :biggrin:

it's the actual face i made when he told me his results! i thought he'd get straight As, not sure what happened. he told me that he ****ed up his career aspirations. a few hrs later the university of manchester rang up offering him a place. i wish this'll happen to me in august :frown:.
Reply 317
Original post by Blazara
Having trawled through this whole thread, there seems to be a pretty decent trend with "I got one grade above a predicted and one grade below, and i got in".

Not that it's worth anything to me, stupid IB :frown:

Finally, another IB person!

In 12 days we will know our fate... :afraid:
Reply 318
Original post by supernova92
If your course is in extra? Are they more likely to be lenient?

I'd like to know this too! Anyone?
Original post by dosvidaniya
My mate got BCC and was still let in for History (BBB) last year. I'm hoping I'll be allowed in for BBC for a BBB course, knowing my luck I won't. But I only have myself to blame anyway, I have MASSIVELY underacheived academically my whole life. I'm pathetic.

Me and you both friend.

Latest

Trending

Trending