The Student Room Group

Ever read a diary?

Scroll to see replies

I haven't tried to write a diary in years as I never keep it up and end up getting bored and run out of things to write. Most of the times they have ended up being about guys I like. this was when I was like 12 or something. I don't think I'd write a diary now anyway wouldn't know what to write and wouldn't last long.
Original post by LoveErinxo
I have two diaries. One of them is filled with all the suicidal and depressive thoughts I had a couple of years ago, and then the other is filled with happy and positive thoughts because I tried to use it as a sort of therapy when I was coming out of my depression. I don't use either of them anymore, but I love reading them back. Even though the first is terrifying to read, there are some really interesting thoughts in there that make me feel like a troubled genius (:tongue:) and the other is just sort of cute and inspiring if I'm having a bad day.

The 'troubled genius' bit is spot on. I have depression at the moment, but I'm getting better. When I look back on my journals from two years ago, they're scary to read - ironically, the writing's quite good :s-smilie: :biggrin: Oh, and well done for conquering depression, btw. :smile:
Reply 42
I've read diaries but everyday events are boring , i prefer 2 personally write about events that like u sed are important, and ones that really change me :smile:
Diaries are interesting, I'm half American and I got to read my great great great Grandfather's diary which was written during the American civil war. It was all about hiding gold bars under beds and having to run away from armies, very interesting. I don't know if a diary nowadays would make such an interesting read though.
Someone else's? Of course!

I don't know about reading my own though. No, not at all. Be careful, you might cringe later and not be so willing to read it out.
Reply 45
i tried to write a diary but after 2 days i forgot about writing in it lol
I write a blog which is kind of like a diary of events, but i dont include all the emotional crap which nobody wants to read :P my friends and family read it, and one day i'll probably print and bind it, and maybe show it to my kids/grandkids so they can hear about my life as a student, and while i travel america :smile: i think it will be a pretty interesting read haha! really wish i'd started it earlier than my second year at uni. hope this helps in some way shape or form haha.
Original post by LoveErinxo
It's weird, isn't it? When I read my diary back I'm like... there's no way I came up with that. I've definitely lost that ability now, my writing's nowhere near as good anymore as it was when I was depressed.
And thank you, so much. I'm glad to hear that you're getting better, too, but if you ever want to ask anything, I'll do my best to help :smile:

Aww, thanks - that's really kind of you :smile:
Not really considered a diary, but The Forgotten Soldier is a riveting read.
Reply 49
I had a glance at my sister's, but wasn't very interesting. All my attempts to keep a diary seem to fail, although I'm much better at maintaining a blog... just wish it was physical.

I'll have another stab at a diary it seems :smile: this thread has inspired me.
I'm going to take a stab at a diary now, this thread has inspired me :smile: Have a pretty notebook just waiting to be used for something to! I'd love to be able to look back on my life now when I was older, I'd like to see how far I'd come personally. :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Ciaran88

Maybe the summer heat has been getting to my head but I'm thinking of writing a diary, not of every day crap but of significant events in my life and my general thoughts feelings and how they change over time etc.

I know people keep diaries for themselves as a means of reflection and whatnot but I'm not really interested in that, I'm neurotic enough as it is. Rather, I am wondering if it would be something my kids, grandkids etc. might be interested in reading some day.

So I was wondering, has anyone ever been given and read a diary by their parents or some other relative? Would you be interested in reading one?

I read my mum's diary as a 15-year-old. She got pissed. But I didn't help the situation either, by making fun of her almost pedantic poetic sentences (the "almost" was used just because she is my mum)
Reply 52
Original post by Moooooooose
Diaries are interesting, I'm half American and I got to read my great great great Grandfather's diary which was written during the American civil war. It was all about hiding gold bars under beds and having to run away from armies, very interesting. I don't know if a diary nowadays would make such an interesting read though.

Ok that's what I'm talking about, wow! So epic :colondollar:

By the way, does anyone do any illustrations etc. in their diaries? Include any photos or little items?
Reply 53
I write a diary and read it to my housemate. She thought it was hilarious. In fairness, teenage angst is actually really funny in retrospect.

By the way, does anyone do any illustrations etc. in their diaries? Include any photos or little items?

I put in tickets for stuff I've been to see, plane tickets, photos and I've got some notes from when I was in school too!
(edited 12 years ago)

In my travel ones I do - I stick in bits of memorabilia that can be stuck down, like receipts from meals, museum or national park entry tickets, business cards from hostels I've stayed at, etc. I've never done that with normal diaries though.
Reply 55
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
In my travel ones I do - I stick in bits of memorabilia that can be stuck down, like receipts from meals, museum or national park entry tickets, business cards from hostels I've stayed at, etc. I've never done that with normal diaries though.

Original post by Vulpix
I put in tickets for stuff I've been to see, plane tickets, photos and I've got some notes from when I was in school too!

Hmmm, pretty kewl, I am toying with the idea of drawing out little maps of where I am.. but my cartography skills are probably not quite up to scratch :colonhash:
I used to keep diaries between 11 and 14 but a few years ago I read them and was so embarrassed by it. I'd written such pathetic stuff. There was a whole entry about how the boy who I liked had touched my leg under the table at school. I ripped them all up because I thought that if I got run over by a bus then my mum might read them. I regret it now though so I've started to keep a diary which I only write about more significant events and thoughts in but I've only had it for a couple of weeks. I've got it because I want to be able to remember my youth and I've realised now that being embarrassed by it in future is all part of the fun. I would like to pass it on to my children/grandchildren.
I've been writing a 'diary' for almost a year now. I write it on my iPod and no one knows I write it, so . . . I normally write stuff when I'm sad or angry about my emotions and most intimate feelings. I thought someone was going to read it once, and nearly ran away. It's been such a strange year of my life, that I feel I can't throw it away, even though I get paranoid over it.
Reply 58
I really want to start writing one now, but it would just be the same depressing thing everyday and I'd probably get bored! Plus, privacy does not exist in my house!
Reply 59
Original post by Tw1x
I really want to start writing one now, but it would just be the same depressing thing everyday and I'd probably get bored! Plus, privacy does not exist in my house!

You could always write it about current events/your thoughts when there isn't something going on in your everyday life worth writing about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending