The Student Room Group

Medicine with a predicted 'B' in Chemistry

I just got my AS results
Biology A, Maths A, Further Maths B & Chemistry B
School say they will give me a predicted B for A level Chemistry.
I have 9 A* at GCSE and bags of medical related work experience.
Would any medical schools consider my application and make me an offer?
Reply 1
I'd try and convince your school to predict you an A if I were you. Try anything, most teachers would predict you an A if you asked :smile:
Failing that, look at the requirements, there might be a few medical schools that will take AAB still. Failing that, get the A, gap and reapply :smile: All is not lost! Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Rob16
I'd try and convince your school to predict you an A if I were you. Try anything, most teachers would predict you an A if you asked :smile:
Failing that, look at the requirements, there might be a few medical schools that will take AAB still. Failing that, get the A, gap and reapply :smile: All is not lost! Good luck

Heyy.. my case is the same.. My chem teacher is predicting me a B but has said in my reference that I do have a chance of getting an A.. will medical schools consider me?
Reply 3
Original post by misskhan
Heyy.. my case is the same.. My chem teacher is predicting me a B but has said in my reference that I do have a chance of getting an A.. will medical schools consider me?

You need to look up indivuidual requirements, but very few places offer AAB, an I'm pretty sure they specify one of the As had to be chemistry, see if there is anythign you can do to get the prediction up, or failing that probably take a gap year, the fees are already up and so there is no rush, and gappers have good chances becuase they have had logner to work on their application
Reply 4
Try and convince them you can do it! Show them somehow, but try your hardest. I'm trying to to blag my predictions from AAA to A*A*A* though I'm not think I'll get i, it's just best to try.

If your chemistry teacher thinks you could get an A then convince him to predict you one. Some medical schools don't look at predicted grades; however, for the ones that do remember that pretty much everyone else will be predicted AAA, and if you're predicted AAB then your school is basically saying that they don't believe you'll get the required grades for the course you're applying for so your chances of getting a place decrease rather a lot.
Reply 6

As others will no doubt have said.. If your teacher thinks you could get an A, get him/her to predict you an A! It's the easiest way, there might be one or two that would consider you with a B but getting the A prediction opens up the rest of the Med Schools and then you can choose wisely to give yourself the best chance of getting in :biggrin: or you have the option to apply to where you like best, either way.

Get the A prediction, save yourself the hassle :smile:
if a med schools requires an A for Chemistry, no you wont get an offer.
Reply 8
Go to your head of school/college, and insist that they predict you an A. I went above my subject teacher's heads and got my head of school to increase the grade I needed.

However, I had achieved and A for AS yet was still predicted a B....if you were close to the A boundary or if you can retake a paper in your chem to pull it up to an A then you will have a much stronger case.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
You could try and get your prediction changed to A/B? Teachers are much more likely to do this and the uni's will just see it as an A :smile: But like others have said, if they state 3 A's at A level and you are predicted a B they are unlikely to consider you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest