The Student Room Group

Imperial College Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi guys, i've been looking at london unis for medicine [ 2013 entry] and was wondering how much emphasis do Imperial put on GCSEs? I know Kings use GCSEs heavily but would my GCSEs (7A*s 4As be ok for Imperial, provided everything else is up to scratch)?

Please be honest and thanks for your help. :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by oli_G

Original post by oli_G
Hi guys, i've been looking at london unis for medicine [ 2013 entry] and was wondering how much emphasis do Imperial put on GCSEs? I know Kings use GCSEs heavily but would my GCSEs (7A*s 4As be ok for Imperial, provided everything else is up to scratch)?

Your GCSEs are really good and it doesn't seem like Imperial is a GCSE whore either, so it should be fine, infact they'll be fine for all places except for probably Birmingham.
Reply 42
Original post by oHellno

Original post by oHellno
Your GCSEs are really good and it doesn't seem like Imperial is a GCSE whore either, so it should be fine, infact they'll be fine for all places except for probably Birmingham.

Ok, the thing is I really like the look of imperial, but also want to apply to cambridge. Is applying to 2 BMAT unis too high a risk? I suppose if I get a good UKCAT score i'll apply to Kings (which I also really like the look of). :smile:

And don't worry, I have no interest in applying to Birmingham whatsoever.

Thanks
Original post by oli_G
Ok, the thing is I really like the look of imperial, but also want to apply to cambridge. Is applying to 2 BMAT unis too high a risk? I suppose if I get a good UKCAT score i'll apply to Kings (which I also really like the look of). :smile:

Thanks

Not a high risk, but a calculated one. Essentially, if you do well then that's 2 interviews gained, and if you do badly then that's 2 interviews lost. Depends how comfortable you are with the material. Sure it's a hard exam, but not one you can't prepare for.

:holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
hi guys

i wanna apply here too But to be honest i think my AS grades are poor 4b's :frown: how strict are imperial on AS grades and how hard is it to make the BMAT cut off line

P.s if ya could quote me it would be much appreciated
Original post by raveen789
How low were his AS grades and was that the reason Imperial rejected him? I am kind of worried about this too i got ABBC :frown: I am not sure if I should apply to medicine at all this year. :/

His were BBCC with the ones he was continuing as BBC. The reason they officially rejected him was BMAT - but that was probably the standard e-mail reply everyone gets as he did get > 5 in s1/s2 and 3A in S3. And he did get an offer for Leicester and an interview at queen mary (so his PS couldn't have been so bad).

Original post by oli_G

I applied with 7a* and 4A this year and got in.. so it should be ok for 2013 entry too..unless they bring in some new change.

Original post by oli_G

Thanks

I applied to the Camb and Imp .. did average in the bmat (for cambridge standards) ..but secured 2 interviews and in the end got an offer for imperial. Doing 2 BMATs can be risky, but its not impossible if you do lots of work. Rewards are great as well, if you do well (guaranteed interviews).

Original post by sandeep0767
hi guys

i wanna apply here too But to be honest i think my AS grades are poor 4b's :frown: how strict are imperial on AS grades and how hard is it to make the BMAT cut off line

P.s if ya could quote me it would be much appreciated

No one knows exactly what Imperial want for AS's but in my opinion it would be risky to apply without any A's in AS.. as it is dead competitive and say if you only manage an average BMAT it may not be enough..because they do look at the whole application, after they mass reject people based on BMAT scores.

Meeting the BMAT cut off is possible if you put in the work and do lots of practice material.
I'm applying to imperial. In 2023. :frown: I would rather go there than Cambridge in some ways. I love London and would love to study there.

Plus imperial sounds special.

You can see by the last point I really have my priorities right about where I'm applying, :biggrin:
Original post by AspiringGenius
I'm applying to imperial. In 2023. :frown: I would rather go there than Cambridge in some ways. I love London and would love to study there.

Plus imperial sounds special.

You can see by the last point I really have my priorities right about where I'm applying, :biggrin:

London is a great (albeit expensive) place to study.

But all things considered, you should probably finish kindergarten first.

Spoiler

Original post by englishman129
His were BBCC with the ones he was continuing as BBC. The reason they officially rejected him was BMAT - but that was probably the standard e-mail reply everyone gets as he did get > 5 in s1/s2 and 3A in S3. And he did get an offer for Leicester and an interview at queen mary (so his PS couldn't have been so bad).

I applied with 7a* and 4A this year and got in.. so it should be ok for 2013 entry too..unless they bring in some new change.

I applied to the Camb and Imp .. did average in the bmat (for cambridge standards) ..but secured 2 interviews and in the end got an offer for imperial. Doing 2 BMATs can be risky, but its not impossible if you do lots of work. Rewards are great as well, if you do well (guaranteed interviews).

No one knows exactly what Imperial want for AS's but in my opinion it would be risky to apply without any A's in AS.. as it is dead competitive and say if you only manage an average BMAT it may not be enough..because they do look at the whole application, after they mass reject people based on BMAT scores.

Meeting the BMAT cut off is possible if you put in the work and do lots of practice material.

Did you write individual module grades for your AS?
I got AAAAA but in bio, chem and maths modules I got Bs in the june exams and would rather just write the overall grade. They were a few UMS marks off an A but obviously, they won't know that.
Original post by Jasmine_777
Did you write individual module grades for your AS?
I got AAAAA but in bio, chem and maths modules I got Bs in the june exams and would rather just write the overall grade. They were a few UMS marks off an A but obviously, they won't know that.

I'd just write the overall grade if I was you. I filled in just the overall too.. As I had a B in one module.
I'd just write the overall grade if I was you. I filled in just the overall too.. As I had a B in one module.

coool, glad to know that someone at imperial did the same! :biggrin: Which subject did you have a B in? + would you say your PS was quite strong ?
Reply 51
I got 2 B's and 2c's. I'm going to do resits in January to get the three I'm carrying on with to a's. If I got the grades I needed could I somehow contact them to tell them my grades had changed and that now could I be considered.
Original post by Jasmine_777
coool, glad to know that someone at imperial did the same! :biggrin: Which subject did you have a B in? + would you say your PS was quite strong ?

I didnt have a a B in a subject overall.. just in one f maths exam (which i missed A by a few UMS).. made up for it in my other modules though. As a whole I got 5 A's in AS all over 90% and hence 5a* pred for a2.

Well, I'm not sure about my PS.. I got an interview from King's, Imperial and Cambridge but rejected straight from Notts..(and I guess notts/king's weight PS the most..due to bmat for the other 2) .. i guess it was okay/good :smile:
Original post by Blatant Troll
London is a great (albeit expensive) place to study.

But all things considered, you should probably finish kindergarten first.

Spoiler

But I don't want an expensive university. And I WANT to apply NOW.

*throws rattle out of pram*
Reply 54
Ah ok thank you English man, I have the UKCAT on monday and unless i do well in that i don't think there is any point in applying for medicine this year despite Imperial using the BMAT i would only have 1 choice haha. So if i fail the ukcat ill just work hard to bring my grades up and hopefully apply next year :biggrin:

did he meet his offer?
Reply 56
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
did he meet his offer?

Yeah that is a interesting question :smile:
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
did he meet his offer?

Yeah for Leicster. I know of someone else who has got from those AS grades to AAA for dentistry. It is possible, because at a2 the AS retakes will seem very easy for some subs like Chem n Maths and even Bio to a certain extent.
Do you think it's worth applying with AABB, B's in biology and maths...with AAA predicitions?
Original post by andrewpeters
Do you think it's worth applying with AABB, B's in biology and maths...with AAA predicitions?

Don't cash in your AS's and if you got AAA prediction there's no reason why you shouldn't apply. Just work hard next year on A Levels and try and do as well as possible on the most important - BMAT exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending