The Student Room Group

If people are already receiving offers, how are we being judged equally!?

I'm going kind of insane here, because people are already receiving offers for 2012... and I plan on applying soon, but I don't get how everyone is supposedly considered equally until Jan 15th, if people are already getting offers!?
I mean there is a limit on the amount of offers handed out, so it MUST start to get harder to get in if you apply later on...?
I can't apply until my math teacher decides to predict me a B, which I am hoping will be tomorrow. I really want to get into royal holloway for psychology, and people already have offers for it. -.-'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:redface: you're applying to RHUL from Germany!
Reply 2
Original post by POWW!
:redface: you're applying to RHUL from Germany!

And?
Reply 3
You're not. It's equality on paper but on reality it's a first come, first serve procedure (provided you have the grades).
Reply 4
Original post by In2deep
And?

Intended to be a mini bump.
Original post by hollymarie
If people are already receiving offers, how are we being judged equally!?

We aren't.

Unlucky bro
Reply 6
I've been thinking this as well, I've only just got round to finishing my application so surely if people are getting offers now there are less offers to go round to the others?!
it varies.

Some candidate might be so exceptional compared with the entry requirements that they are given an offer straight away to make it easier for the department to manage applications.

A course may have many places and there are not as many applicants even though the course is good. An example would be Manchester Chemical engineering, their intake is huge.

Or some courses give out offers to 95% of applicants but very few people meet the offer because it is so tough to meet. An example would be Warwick maths.

So you see, unis giving out offers before jan 15th have good reasons to do so.
Reply 8
You're not.

Logically, given how tutors are giving out offers from througout October, then by definition, they will have far fewer available to give out by January, meaning of course that they will be inclined to be perhaps be 'harsher' when giving out offers to applicants and ultimately, be stingy with who they give offers out to at that point.

Admissions tutors aren't going to wait for hundreds of applications to pile up on their desk until January 15 now, are they?
(edited 12 years ago)
Then apply sooner.
I'm lucky that I'm doing a course which interviews, but still, I haven't even sent my application yet. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to writing so you can imagine the fun I'm having with my personal statment, and I haven't got predicted grades yet. So freaked out that people have interview dates. It's terrifying, isn't it? And completely unfair if they give out offers before all the applications have come in. What if people have valid reasons for submitting theirs later than someone else? Other schools aren't as organised as others, or they might have been ill or something. As if we don't have enough to contend with to get into uni.
Reply 11
Probably because the offers given out are to those with grades which far exceed the expected average so would of been accepted anyway.
Reply 12
I'm going kind of insane here, because people are already receiving offers for 2012... and I plan on applying soon, but I don't get how everyone is supposedly considered equally until Jan 15th, if people are already getting offers!?
I mean there is a limit on the amount of offers handed out, so it MUST start to get harder to get in if you apply later on...?
I can't apply until my math teacher decides to predict me a B, which I am hoping will be tomorrow. I really want to get into royal holloway for psychology, and people already have offers for it. -.-'

Luckily when I was applying last year my school had picked up on this and advised us to get our applications in by half term, but not everyone is that fortunate.
I don't see the point in the deadline if they fill up all their offers beforehand, and whilst the point was made about unis giving out way more offers than people that actually get in is very valid for many courses, it won't be true for all of them.
I got 3 of my offers last year within about a week and half of sending off my application. I also got all four of my offers in November (had to wait til January for a rejection :/)
I think the problem arises when colleges/sixth forms refuse to do references etc when people are wanting to send their applications off, and when they use the deadline as an excuse for doing this.
Reply 13
looks like i'll be applying tomorrow then.... uuugghh.
i can't wait until it's all over and done with. it's so stressful. /:
Yes this always happens, its advantageous to be an early bird. The admissions tutors and admissions staff will want to balance their workloads otherwise there would be horrendous delays in making decisions and sending out the paperwork if they were deciding on everyone at the same time as having to do January exams marking etc.

Its the same with job applications for graduate schemes, when you see the deadline of December or January, really you are better sending your application in as soon as the scheme opens to maximise your chances.
Reply 15
Why don't you just apply sooner and be pro active? If you were THAT bothered you would have broken your neck to get your form to UCAS sooner.

if people get their applications in early then it shows that they are more passionate, eager, organised etc. than other applicants who leave it until later, I would assume
Reply 17
Or the fact that they make offers in batches, so there will still be the same number of offers made in january, but it will be the last batch of offers!
Well universities know what % of people got what grades so they can make informed decisions based on the data available. They will also know after years of experience what standard the average candidate is and how many spaces they need to reserve for further applicants.

The idea the course will be full by November is ridiculous: unis have the experience and data to know what they're doing. It isn't in a university's best interest to just take on the first 500 applicants; they obviously will do all they can to ensure the best candidates go to their uni. Just focus all your energy on making your application as good as possible and not worry about stuff like this.

gl
(edited 12 years ago)

Everyone is judged according to the same criteria, but offers go out on a rolling basis to take pressure of the admissions staff. Universities may or may not consider applying early as a sign that you are organised and eager.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending