The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cocacola2
Repetitive tasks maybe, but hardly anything like filling out a job application surely?

Good training schemes will ensure the trainee is learning something new all the time as well. Doing repetitive tasks is just a small price that is paid when you are a junior member of the team.

A lot of law firms from what I understand are now trying hard to make sure secretaries and support staff are doing the more mundane work anyway, in an attempt ensure trainees are actually taking part in legal work/training.

I hope I'm not wrong about this :tongue:

Not sure I agree with this, especially for the magic circle firms, which are essentially pyramids, with lots of trainees doing the boring grunt work.

Take Slaughters, 95-100% retention rate. Then they get rid of 80% of those between 1-3 yrs PQ. About 2% of trainees make partner at 6 yrs PQ. The rest leave. Basically firms need trainees / junior associates to do the boring stuff. Then, unless your lucky or exceptional, bye bye.

Regards,

x
Original post by lovejoypeace

Original post by lovejoypeace
still waiting for S&M's reply!

Original post by avocat
forcing myself to tackle pinsent masons' application form, have put it off for far too long :frown: the questions are tricky!

Ahh ditto! It's such a long and painful process!
Reply 962
Hey guys, Any idea when Slaughter & May will get back to us regarding the winter vac scheme applications? Thank you x
Original post by JakeR92
Hey guys, Any idea when Slaughter & May will get back to us regarding the winter vac scheme applications? Thank you x

The Slaughter and May winter scheme has already been and gone?
Original post by fredericmoreau
The Slaughter and May winter scheme has already been and gone?

I think, confusingly, he might mean winter applications for the summer vac scheme. He's a penultimate year lawyer like me, so that seems the most plausible from his post. :p:
Reply 965
Original post by Tortious
I think, confusingly, he might mean winter applications for the summer vac scheme. He's a penultimate year lawyer like me, so that seems the most plausible from his post. :p:

Sorry man, lack of sleep mixed with trying to write Jessup submissions is killing my brain! I meant the applications for the easter vac scheme, though an english easter might as well be just classed as winter...
Original post by JakeR92
Sorry man, lack of sleep mixed with trying to write Jessup submissions is killing my brain! I meant the applications for the easter vac scheme, though an english easter might as well be just classed as winter...

Is that the mooting competition? (I haven't heard of it - just Googled it now.) If so, what's the problem? :beard:
invited to an open day at stephenson harwood....... just out of interest, does this have no correllation to obtaining a vac scheme?
Original post by JakeR92

They sent me an email saying they will come back to us mid-January
Reply 969
Original post by Mulberries
They sent me an email saying they will come back to us mid-January

Ahh, I haven't got this email :frown: When did you receive it?
Original post by avocat
forcing myself to tackle pinsent masons' application form, have put it off for far too long :frown: the questions are tricky!

I can't remember the questions specifically but I remember considering it a beast of an application - although the Grad Rec chappy reaffirmed my interest by reminding me that with Pinsent Masons it's just application - interview - vac scheme... obv none of these stages are easy but it's less drawn out after the initial jibber jabber! I'm def going to have a go at it come a few spare days!
Reply 971
Original post by stevie wonder 65
I can't remember the questions specifically but I remember considering it a beast of an application - although the Grad Rec chappy reaffirmed my interest by reminding me that with Pinsent Masons it's just application - interview - vac scheme... obv none of these stages are easy but it's less drawn out after the initial jibber jabber! I'm def going to have a go at it come a few spare days!

do they recruit on a rolling basis or it is considered after 31st jan do you know at all?
Reply 972
Original post by stevie wonder 65

really really sorry clicked negative instead of positive!! wont let me change it! but i defo agree with you
Reply 973
I'm also in the midst on filling in the Pinsent Mason application...you do actually have to think about what you're writing for your answer! You know in the Practical/Technical experience section do you think it would be viable for me to write about my dissertation research and writing up instead of a job experience? I have had various jobs and could probably apply one to skill set they list for this section, but I wonder whether my Dissertation would be a better example here as I don't think it states anywhere that it HAS to be work experience?!
Original post by stefwad75
Has anyone heard from Pannone or Mishcon de Reya?

Yeh I got a PFO from Pannone a few weeks ago.
Original post by JakeR92
Ahh, I haven't got this email :frown: When did you receive it?

Don't really remember but at least 3-4 weeks ago - approximately two weeks after I submitted the application
Reply 976
Original post by Mulberries
Don't really remember but at least 3-4 weeks ago - approximately two weeks after I submitted the application

Ahh ok, I sent my the deadline day... organised as always :P
Hi, when a firm asks a question like - 'Please mention anything further which you think is relevant to your application', what are they looking for? I mean I have already discussed my interests/ activities above and they had another section for why you wanna join the firm...so what are we meant to write here?
Original post by chronicles

Original post by chronicles
Hi, when a firm asks a question like - 'Please mention anything further which you think is relevant to your application', what are they looking for? I mean I have already discussed my interests/ activities above and they had another section for why you wanna join the firm...so what are we meant to write here?

Is there anything exceptional you would like to make the firm aware of, that you haven't been able to put down anywhere else? A lot of the time you won't need to use that section.

You could mention:
- Any work experience/placements you have secured but are yet to undertake.
- Any mitigating circumstances if you have any.
- Any connections you might have at the firm.
- If you are a graduate, what you intend to do in the 1 year gap that you will have before you commence the LPC.

Stuff like that I would have thought...
Thanks so much cocacola2! Dya think I could talk about how my first yr grades came as a negative surprise to me...as in I was scoring constantly better prior to this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending