The Student Room Group

Social Work Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ashtoreth
meh:biggrin:

jump as much as you like, emtem.

presume you mean for SW? and yeah, the wait is deffo the hardest bit although in saying that, i'm surprised at the speed of responses i've had so far!

2 other uni's have been in touch for various reasons and it just goes to show that somewhere behind the scenes, they are actually looking at the apps:eek:

lol

I also applied for stirling but have heard nothing back :frown: only heard from strath! Is that a bad sign?!
Original post by ehay5
thanks, i was really gutted! yeah the longer we dont hear the better apparantly! i havent had it either but its a questionaire we have 2 weeks to fill out and i have no idea whats in it. yeah i also applied for teaching, which was a bit stupid of me! i know. caledonian were really hard on me so early on and i tried reasoning with them but no luck. haha.. no no back up plan as i have already done a business hnc this year, this is my last year i think, minus clearance so im really hoping for the best. what grades have you got?

hey!

most def the longer we don't hear, the better - i'm enjoying this moment in time just now and just getting on with current assignments. it's helping take my mind off things.
dunno bout you but i'm tired of thinking about a place at uni etcetc. so it's a nice change of pace to just be concentrating on the here and now (present course as opposed to future one)

what ya mean u applied for teaching as well? do u mean your app is for both SW and teaching?
and yeah, i've already told myself to get a back up plan in place and to not fret so much, cos that way lies disaster! dunno bout you but i'm perfectly capable of mithering meself that much i'll be useless and fail everything lol

not sure what you mean by what grades i've got, missus. i'm a mature student and have a predicted grade, if that's what u mean?
if it helps any, i'm an english student so the system is diff for us down here :smile:

on the plus side, have found somewhere to live! if i make it up there lol
Original post by katiebrown20
I also applied for stirling but have heard nothing back :frown: only heard from strath! Is that a bad sign?!

nah katie, i'd not have said so meself. i too have heard from strath and not from stirling.
suspect when the new year rocks up, we will be hearing...so have faith:wink:

see it as the calm before the storm and enjoy - cos when we get landed with 2nd stage work, amidst all the other work we gotta do, we will probably wish we hadn't heard! lol

is why i'm clearing the decks for all the work i gotta submit just now, so that when they come, i'll not be panicking about submission dates for assignments and 2nd stage stuff AS WELL.

the way i'm looking at it is, for sure i'll get rejections but, same time, someone somewhere is gonna take pity and gimme a place. and it only takes 'one' place. that's all any of us need.

naturally it would be nice to feel wanted by them all but all it takes is a bad day/piece of work (for whatever reason) and before u know it, u get disheartened.

chin up, chick. we're all gonna get there :tongue:
Yeah, pobably hsouldn't be worrying yet when the application deadline isn't until Jan 15!!

Just gonna do that too, focus on what needs doing now! Prioritise haha:smile:

This helps keep my spirits up though!!

Thanks alot ashtoreth x
it's not just about the deadline tbh, is also about the fact that if you've heard from strath is a fair bet you WILL hear from stirling. yannow? :smile: - tho is natural to worry and if you'd seen me last few days you'd have laughed:colondollar:
*has been chewing lips to state of bleeding - has been incommunicado and been living like a hermit - xmas was cancelled etcetc* lol

most deffo prioritise just now...do what ya can to keep your mind off UCAS stuff, as hard as it might be. if u got revision/assignments u could be doing, do them instead. or go out. basically, whatever works to distract u.
just keep busy. least, that's what i'm doing and it works for me!

was miserable since the start of my hols (cos of worry n stress regards UCAS) an then two/three days ago i snapped out of it an been working - just popping in here as a break now n again.
and i tell ya, it's made all the difference! might work for u too!:smile:

in fact i been makin myself laff just now. i know where i'm living. i have a back up degree in mind should i not get SW but, for a bit there, twas almost like i'd forgotten i'm on my present course and i gotta pass that yet!:eek: lol

and DEFFO no thanks needed, chick. we're all in the same boat an i understand your anxiety - cos i'm feelin it too!:redface:
but we WILL get there. i can feel it:tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ehay5
thanks

x

:smile:

ehay5 ~ Sorry to hear about Caley and Strathclyde :console: I've also applied to Dundee and not heard anything yet. Dundee is where I really want to go so fingers crossed for us both! Have you heard anything from the uni's you've applied to for teaching?

katiebrown20 ~ Hi, I don't think it's a bad sign. I think most uni's are probably waiting until after 15th Jan to see how many people have applied before they move on (I hope anyway!)

ashtoreth ~ That's great you've found somewhere to live, where is it?

Well I finally got my Strathclyde questions sent off on Friday. I can't stop thinking about it though as I don't feel it was my best piece of work. Oh well not much I can do about it now! I need to move on now to the Stirling questions which are due on 9th January. I'm hoping to get it done as soon as possible and I will just send it off as soon as it's done as I can't bear chopping and changing things anymore!!

LMx
Original post by socialworkertobe
ehay5 ~ Sorry to hear about Caley and Strathclyde :console: I've also applied to Dundee and not heard anything yet. Dundee is where I really want to go so fingers crossed for us both! Have you heard anything from the uni's you've applied to for teaching?

katiebrown20 ~ Hi, I don't think it's a bad sign. I think most uni's are probably waiting until after 15th Jan to see how many people have applied before they move on (I hope anyway!)

Well I finally got my Strathclyde questions sent off on Friday. I can't stop thinking about it though as I don't feel it was my best piece of work. Oh well not much I can do about it now! I need to move on now to the Stirling questions which are due on 9th January. I'm hoping to get it done as soon as possible and I will just send it off as soon as it's done as I can't bear chopping and changing things anymore!!

LMx

I sent my strathclyde one away a few weeks ago! Which scenario did you choose :smile:?
So, is all the people heard back from Stirling that have been successful since there's a closing date for the second stage?
Reply 27
Well done emtem :biggrin: When is your interview? I've not heard anything more from any universities other than two requesting I do some additional essays. I had a look on the social work applicants 2011 thread and it seems that the universities in Scotland like to drag out offering places on social work courses for as long as possible so I think we are in for a long wait up here :frown:

LMx

wooohooo!:clap2:

go you! am dead chuffed for ya, em!

nah, no interviews for me just yet. probably a good thing or i'd drop down dead under the stress lol

what's your interview entail? :smile:

Cheers :smile: they said it will be a group interview about what are the qualities a social worker should have. And then a written comprehensive, and an individual interview on experiences I have had and how they have influenced me and what skills I have learnt etc. my head of sixth gave me a list of possible stuff to work on, just send me a private message if you want me to send you it :smile:

Are you still at college or are you a mature student? Good luck :smile: hopefully you'll get some replies now that the Christmas break is over! I'm so nervous, still don't have an outfit :frown:
Reply 28
Original post by emtem93
Cheers :smile: they said it will be a group interview about what are the qualities a social worker should have. And then a written comprehensive, and an individual interview on experiences I have had and how they have influenced me and what skills I have learnt etc. my head of sixth gave me a list of possible stuff to work on, just send me a private message if you want me to send you it :smile:

Are you still at college or are you a mature student? Good luck :smile: hopefully you'll get some replies now that the Christmas break is over! I'm so nervous, still don't have an outfit :frown:

Oh and it's on Friday! :frown:
Reply 29
Hi :smile: I know what you mean the waiting is killing me too! I wasn't expecting to hear anything until after 15th January but hearing that people are getting interviews now is making me so nervous! Have you heard back from anywhere yet?
Good Luck
LMx

Sorry ive taken so long to reply, dont really understand this website haha! I've had a reply from Huddersfield now :smile: got the interview on Friday! You had any reples yet? :smile:
Where have you applied?
Emily x
Original post by emtem93
Oh and it's on Friday! :frown:

lotsa luck for the interview! i got my fingers n toots crossed for ya:biggrin: and i'm sure you'll be blinding!

LMx

it's in an area of glasgow called baillieston. seems to be an ok place/area but i dunno till i actually see it for myself. i'll be coming up there end of the month or beginning of feb (or thereabouts)
know anything about the area SWTB? presume you're local.
I sent my strathclyde one away a few weeks ago! Which scenario did you choose :smile:?
So, is all the people heard back from Stirling that have been successful since there's a closing date for the second stage?

i went for option 1, katie. how bout you? :smile:

as for stirling, meh, if i didn't get thru, i didn't get thru. naturally it would be nice to be wanted by all of em but, i only need one place and that's the main thing. surprised not to have received a rejection yet but, no doubt that's in the post so to speak.
least i have my insurance in place an for THAT i am extremely grateful.

still waiting to hear from my first choice... that's the one that will be disappointing for me if i don't get thru and get an offer.

LMx

incidentally, lotsa luck to all of us for strath. i did mine the nite before the deadline lol...i procrastinated right to the very end and frankly, will be unsurprised if i get a rejection:colondollar:

but that's the name of the game with such a competitive course. rejections are gonna be part of the deal. all i want is one offer for SW and all i want is my first choice (aint much to ask yannow :biggrin:)
so fingers crossed for all of us gettin what we're after:smile:
i went for option 1, katie. how bout you? :smile:

as for stirling, meh, if i didn't get thru, i didn't get thru. naturally it would be nice to be wanted by all of em but, i only need one place and that's the main thing. surprised not to have received a rejection yet but, no doubt that's in the post so to speak.
least i have my insurance in place an for THAT i am extremely grateful.

still waiting to hear from my first choice... that's the one that will be disappointing for me if i don't get thru and get an offer.

Aww cool :smile: how did you find it? I went for option two - thought they were all pretty challenging!
I'm only starting to panic because people I know are hearing back - not for SW but nevertheless its making me more anxious!

What is your first choice?:smile:
Aww cool :smile: how did you find it? I went for option two - thought they were all pretty challenging!
I'm only starting to panic because people I know are hearing back - not for SW but nevertheless its making me more anxious!

What is your first choice?:smile:

hey chick!

being honest? i didn't leave myself enuff time to think about it, let alone establish how i found it. i was just grateful to geddit done an sent. EVERY time i say i won't leave it to the last minute and every time that's exactly what ends up happening.
it was deffo not straight forward. in saying that, beats an interview hands down imo:tongue:

naturally it would be nice to get thru but, am not holding out much hope. let's see how it goes tho.

think we're all gonna go insane (quite literally lol) at this rate! we're all nervous n anxious an worried n wondering. better be worth it in the end or i'll pitch a fit! lol - agree tho, when you see n hear other people happy at their offers from other courses it does make u wonder whether you're even gonna get thru uni gates!

do u know? i typed out my first choice three times, hit delete, told myself to stop being silly, n then deleted again lolol
sigh...i hope i don't jinx myself but my first choice is GCU. i REALLY wanna go there. i mean, REALLY. a LOT:colondollar: - what's yours, or have u said earlier n i missed it?

*please god don't let me not get a place there now!*:eek:
Original post by emtem93

nah am cool ty, em. tho i really appreciate the offer! i've only applied to scottish uni's and they have a different process regards selection :smile:

am a mature student and at college presently. thanks for the GL tho, cos i reckon i'm gonna need ALL i can get!:colondollar:

tell us how u got on when u get chance, chick. and what did u end up wearing?:biggrin:

I scenairo 1, they were all pretty similar and I thought it was tough to keep within the word count as there was so much I wanted to say! I don't think everyone would have heard back from Stirling yet. I think it would have been the same as Strathclyde regarding the closing date and you get x amount of time to do it. I'm sure you'll hear from them soon. Think positive thoughts :biggrin:

Original post by emtem93
Sorry ive taken so long to reply, dont really understand this website haha! I've had a reply from Huddersfield now :smile: got the interview on Friday! You had any reples yet? :smile:
Where have you applied?
Emily x

How did your interview go? Do you know when you will hear back from them? Did you feel nervous? I'm hoping I don't need to go to any interviews as I know I'll fall to pieces! I've applied to Strathclyde, Glasgow Caledonian, Dundee, Stirling and Robert Gordon. I've heard from two of them requesting additional essays. That's about it at the moment but no news is good news :smile:

it's in an area of glasgow called baillieston. seems to be an ok place/area but i dunno till i actually see it for myself. i'll be coming up there end of the month or beginning of feb (or thereabouts)
know anything about the area SWTB? presume you're local.

I know Baillieston, it's about 10 miles from where I am! It's about 5 miles from Glasgow city centre so it's really handy. PM me if you'd like any info on the area, I'd be happy to help :smile:

I managed to get the Stirling questions sent off today, I'm so glad to have it all done now!!

LMx
Reply 38
I scenairo 1, they were all pretty similar and I thought it was tough to keep within the word count as there was so much I wanted to say! I don't think everyone would have heard back from Stirling yet. I think it would have been the same as Strathclyde regarding the closing date and you get x amount of time to do it. I'm sure you'll hear from them soon. Think positive thoughts :biggrin:

How did your interview go? Do you know when you will hear back from them? Did you feel nervous? I'm hoping I don't need to go to any interviews as I know I'll fall to pieces! I've applied to Strathclyde, Glasgow Caledonian, Dundee, Stirling and Robert Gordon. I've heard from two of them requesting additional essays. That's about it at the moment but no news is good news :smile:

I know Baillieston, it's about 10 miles from where I am! It's about 5 miles from Glasgow city centre so it's really handy. PM me if you'd like any info on the area, I'd be happy to help :smile:

I managed to get the Stirling questions sent off today, I'm so glad to have it all done now!!

LMx

I was very nervous :frown: I think it went ooookkk though. Should know by Wednesday, hopefully it'll be ok. There was loads of mature students (40 years old) who, in the group interview found it acceptable to rip us young ones to shred. Saying we have no life experience and don't know what confidentiality is etc, so yeh, that kind of knocked me back.
Do none of yours require interviews then? :smile:
Reply 39

nah am cool ty, em. tho i really appreciate the offer! i've only applied to scottish uni's and they have a different process regards selection :smile:

am a mature student and at college presently. thanks for the GL tho, cos i reckon i'm gonna need ALL i can get!:colondollar:

tell us how u got on when u get chance, chick. and what did u end up wearing?:biggrin:

Ended up wearing a trouser suit. Fair enough :smile: I'm only 18, so felt a bit out of place as most of the applicants were mature students, who seemed to believe it was there place to rip us young'uns to shreds saying we wouldn't fit the job as we had no life experience etc.

It went alright though to be honest :smile: should know more by Wednesday!

Quick Reply

Latest