The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Democracy
Not at all, a lot of life sciences grads go for both the GEP and the A100 degree. Increasing one's chances and all that.

But yeah, as a non life sciences grad you will only be able to apply for the A100 degree at BL, subject to having the right science A levels.

ahhh okaaay, thanks for the info :smile: ahh but now I know I'm competing with grads too...:eek:
Original post by Jasmine_777
ahhh okaaay, thanks for the info :smile: ahh but now I know I'm competing with grads too...:eek:

Well not really since for the A100 degree graduates will be selected for interview on the basis of our UKCAT scores and you guys will be selected according to your UCAS tariffs. And at the actual interview everyone should be treated equally :tongue:
Original post by Democracy
Well not really since for the A100 degree graduates will be selected for interview on the basis of our UKCAT scores and you guys will be selected according to your UCAS tariffs. And at the actual interview everyone should be treated equally :tongue:

hmm but graduates would be more mature, have more experiences and qualifications and so, be more appealing than undergrads... are you a grad at barts by any chance ? :tongue:
hmm but graduates would be more mature, have more experiences and qualifications and so, be more appealing than undergrads...

Yes, but more qualifications shouldn't make a difference since as digitalis pointed out a few pages ago (go back and read it, it's worth it) medicine is totally different from the outset and unlike other degrees. I think once you make it to the interview stage, all that matters is your performance on the day...not your qualifications, UKCAT, etc.

are you a grad at barts by any chance ? :tongue:

Yes, but not in the way which you think :wink:

Think about it :biggrin:
Reply 2864
hmm but graduates would be more mature, have more experiences and qualifications and so, be more appealing than undergrads... are you a grad at barts by any chance ? :tongue:

Don't forget that there will be a far fewer number of graduates applying for A100 than school leavers, far fewer.
Still, a graduate will be more mature than a teenager applying and have more life experiences (most of the time), so straight away have an advantage.

Are post-interview people actually going to hear at the end of February? Or is that what they say every year and it ends up being more like March?
Original post by krispykremes
Still, a graduate will be more mature than a teenager applying and have more life experiences (most of the time), so straight away have an advantage.

Yeah, yeah yeah
Original post by digitalis
Yeah, yeah yeah

Hey, play nicely please.
Reply 2868
I got an interview today for the 26th. So psyched. Grad.
Reply 2869
Original post by x Invictus
I suppose a level playing field would be to award points for those subjects considered to be acceptable at A and AS Level in the prospectus.

but then all those people who have taken general studies and critical thinking get no credit for it...

so someone with 4A's at alevel gets the same credit as some on with 5A's but one A in GS/CT
Reply 2870
Original post by Tripo
I got an interview today for the 26th. So psyched. Grad.

Congrats! I will be so dissappointed if I miss out on an interview now for the sake of 15 UKCAT points, i know they have to have a cut off somewhere but I got 655 and still no news
Reply 2871
has anybody got any advice for interviews?....

what to expect?
and advice?

recommendations?

thanks peep :biggrin:
Original post by praj1

what to expect?
and advice?

recommendations?

This is a general piece of advice....who knows they might ask you something along these lines in your Barts interview :rolleyes: ... so...

You begin with the ethical study....depending on your interviewer sometimes they ask you some questions on it after your "mini speech". These tend to involve trying to force you to make an ethical decision, which you can't. So just say "I'm sorry, that decision wouldn't be up to me, I would have to refer it to XYZ and seek advice from ABC first.

Other than that its the general how to handle a career in med, why, work exp etc q's that come up

All were very friendly, its more an informal chat than an interview....was a very welcoming environment :smile:
Original post by tianuk3
Although this may sound somewhat hypocritical I think it is best no to worry and just wait and see.

Barts interviews until March therefore I am sure there are plenty of interview dates left.

Hi, where did you hear that Barts interview until March? Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by praj1

Original post by praj1

what to expect?
and advice?

recommendations?

Know the article properly, form some sort of balanced opinion on it and just go over the main points you would raise or those that stand out to you. Apart from that, it's all very general, main thing would be to stay calm and be friendly, it was not a stressful interview at all, the interviewers were lovely and friendly so I would imagine they want someone to reflect that attitude.
Reply 2875
Original post by oHellno
Know the article properly, form some sort of balanced opinion on it and just go over the main points you would raise or those that stand out to you. Apart from that, it's all very general, main thing would be to stay calm and be friendly, it was not a stressful interview at all, the interviewers were lovely and friendly so I would imagine they want someone to reflect that attitude.

Original post by kingcoltzan
This is a general piece of advice....who knows they might ask you something along these lines in your Barts interview :rolleyes: ... so...

You begin with the ethical study....depending on your interviewer sometimes they ask you some questions on it after your "mini speech". These tend to involve trying to force you to make an ethical decision, which you can't. So just say "I'm sorry, that decision wouldn't be up to me, I would have to refer it to XYZ and seek advice from ABC first.

Other than that its the general how to handle a career in med, why, work exp etc q's that come up

All were very friendly, its more an informal chat than an interview....was a very welcoming environment :smile:

positive rep will be coming your way :biggrin:
Reply 2876
Original post by tianuk3

Original post by tianuk3
Congrats! I will be so dissappointed if I miss out on an interview now for the sake of 15 UKCAT points, i know they have to have a cut off somewhere but I got 655 and still no news

Ill be shocked if you didn't get an interview. But its what I've been saying all along, they want to change barts from being a grad friendly place as theres always way too many grads. Which is why they are assessing grads on their own.
Reply 2877
Original post by Tripo
Ill be shocked if you didn't get an interview. But its what I've been saying all along, they want to change barts from being a grad friendly place as theres always way too many grads. Which is why they are assessing grads on their own.

Why would they want to change Barts from being a grad friendly place? There are only 50 grad spaces supposedly and over 200 undergraduate places on the A100 course, so it isn't like the grads are stealing the places of the undergrads.

Likewise mate, I'll be very disheartened to not get a single interview this year just based on my UKCAT score.
Original post by Tripo

This isn't true at all, it's certainly not what I've been told by several sources within the school...in fact some would say the trend is in a completely opposite direction away from what you've described.
Original post by praj1

so someone with 4A's at alevel gets the same credit as some on with 5A's but one A in GS/CT

Yes, that's what happens at most universities. GS and CT are usually not accepted as A or AS levels.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending