The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by css-
Ah this is making me sad about Imperial :frown: but is anyone at a Cardiff visit day tomorrow?

Did you get rejected from Imperial? No, I'm going to Cardiff next week instead.
Hi guys,
I've been given offers from both Royal Holloway and Exeter for ABB for geology based degrees but I'm really not sure which uni is better for geology including things like emplyment after the degree and I need to pick one for my top choice.
I know that Exeter is considered a better overall uni but nothing else.
If anyone can give me their opinions I would be really gratefull. Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 742
Original post by HelsSmells
Hi guys,
I've been given offers from both Royal Holloway and Exeter for ABB for geology based degrees but I'm really not sure which uni is better for geology including things like emplyment after the degree and I need to pick one for my top choice.

I've heard Exeter is the best if you want to get into the mining industry.
Reply 743
Original post by HelsSmells
Hi guys,

Exeter is better for geology and have more links with the industries.
Reply 744
hello there, I'm currently undecided whether to go to Imperial (G and G) or Exeter (straight geology and Mining engineering)... I have visited both and have to say that I preferred the atmosphere and campus (not forgetting cost!) at Exeter as oppose to Imperial. I also prefer the emphasis on mining geology at Exeter as well as the rest of the course. Although the module choices at Imperial are very ideal. The reputation at Imperial -being very high up on tables - has made the decision difficult though as I am undecided whether I may regret going to Exeter in the future. I also dont think my persona would be fitted to that of central London :/ I don't know what to do... any thoughts would be appreciated
Original post by Morkike
hello there, I'm currently undecided whether to go to Imperial (G and G) or Exeter (straight geology and Mining engineering)... I have visited both and have to say that I preferred the atmosphere and campus (not forgetting cost!) at Exeter as oppose to Imperial. I also prefer the emphasis on mining geology at Exeter as well as the rest of the course. Although the module choices at Imperial are very ideal. The reputation at Imperial -being very high up on tables - has made the decision difficult though as I am undecided whether I may regret going to Exeter in the future. I also dont think my persona would be fitted to that of central London :/ I don't know what to do... any thoughts would be appreciated

Obviously Imperial is held in much higher regard, and so would benefit you in the future when applying for jobs. But, if you don't think you would be happy there then go for Exeter. Life is for living, and there isn't much point spending 3/4 years doing a degree if you are not enjoying it. In addition, Exeter has very good links with industry.

Having said that I personally would still choose Imperial, as it is supposed to have the best earth science department in the UK, if not in the world (:
Reply 746
Having said that I personally would still choose Imperial, as it is supposed to have the best earth science department in the UK, if not in the world (:

Cheers and I agree ...will most probably choose Exeter :smile:
Reply 747
Original post by 1platinum
Did you get rejected from Imperial? No, I'm going to Cardiff next week instead.

No, I have an offer, but rejecting in favour of Oxford. But I loved Imperial :frown:
Reply 748
Anyone at Leeds on Wednesday?
Reply 749
Original post by her17
Anyone at Leeds on Wednesday?

Yep up at leads on wednesday
Anyone else already getting stick from their friends for the er, lack of coolness, of this subject? :biggrin:
Reply 751
Original post by gelifluction
Anyone else already getting stick from their friends for the er, lack of coolness, of this subject? :biggrin:

What're you on about, we rocklickers are ice cold :wink:
Reply 752

definitely yes!

The top left is exactly what I think I'll be doing in a years time :P
Reply 753
Has anyone heard back from Edinburgh or St.Andrews yet?
Reply 754
Been around plymouth and they were pretty good, Royal holloway interview went well got an offer from them so 5/5 now! :smile: Had a look around CSM on an offer holder day yesterday. Thought it was ok. There are good links with industry, through the CSM Alumni association, and some mining firms do have talks there. The course in my opinion seemes very limited, as in there are few option modules. There are also only 4 geology teachers and the geophys module is actually taught by a plymouth uni lecturer. Overall possible insurance.
Original post by Evan7788
Has anyone heard back from Edinburgh or St.Andrews yet?

Nope. I'm hoping to hear back from St Andrews in this coming week. Then I can finally firm UCL.

Yeahh, when people ask me what I do in geology, I always make sure to talk about dinosaurs, volcanoes, earthquakes etc.. and I don't include the more boring stuff, i.e. rocks.. Still, I could've done geography and been ridiculed much more :biggrin:

In my southampton interview the guy told me to sniff a rock, and I told my friends, and now they call me rocksniffer, so yes. However they seem to shut up when I mention the 2 weeks trips to Spain, Greece etc.
Reply 758
Hi,

I'll be applying to uni for 2013 entry so I know I'm not an 'applicant 2012' but I wondered if you guys could help me. I'm looking to study Geology and love the look of Imperial - although I haven't looked round yet. Its just I'm a bit worried because I haven't done Maths or Physics A Level and I wondered if this would put me at a disadvantage. I'm in year 12 and doing Chemistry, Biology and Geography AS (my school doesn't offer Geology) which I'm targeted As for AS - don't know A2 and German A2 (I did the AS in year 11) which I'm predicted an A* in (I think an A's a bit more realistic though). I got 9A* and 3A at GCSE with A* in maths and physics.

Any advice would be useful, I just don't want to apply and get rejected for not having done maths or physics. I know that most unis want two science subjects including Geography and its only Oxford that require maths A level but most people who do Geology seem to have maths or physics A level. Does anyone not?

Original post by ebc
Hi,

I'll be applying to uni for 2013 entry so I know I'm not an 'applicant 2012' but I wondered if you guys could help me. I'm looking to study Geology and love the look of Imperial - although I haven't looked round yet. Its just I'm a bit worried because I haven't done Maths or Physics A Level and I wondered if this would put me at a disadvantage. I'm in year 12 and doing Chemistry, Biology and Geography AS (my school doesn't offer Geology) which I'm targeted As for AS - don't know A2 and German A2 (I did the AS in year 11) which I'm predicted an A* in (I think an A's a bit more realistic though). I got 9A* and 3A at GCSE with A* in maths and physics.

Any advice would be useful, I just don't want to apply and get rejected for not having done maths or physics. I know that most unis want two science subjects including Geography and its only Oxford that require maths A level but most people who do Geology seem to have maths or physics A level. Does anyone not?

No need to worry at all, you're doing 3 'sciences' (as in this scenario Geography is mislabeled as such), and you're predicted to get good grades. Geology at A-level is not needed, and although Maths and Physics would put you in good stead, Chemistry more than makes up for that.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't at least interview you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending